• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle to FCC...Big Media is Too Big!

The link is to an obit for long-time Phoenix radio host John Dayl.

Here's Senator's Cantwell's release statement concerning this mess, issued yesterday:

Cantwell's Statement:
"Again and again, Chairman Martin has attempted to ram through rules that will encourage media concentration despite the public's loud and clear opposition. I'm disappointed but unsurprised that after claiming the hearings were going to be a critical part of the FCC's process, and giving the public merely a week's notice on the hearing, he has released a proposal that ignores the over nine hours of testimony from Washingtonians barely 72 hours later. The chairman says he invites public comment on his proposals, so I hope that everyone will contact the FCC to let them know exactly what they think of this proposal. If Congress has to act to stop media consolidation, we will."

I think that this battle's far from over....and I think the Congress is going to seriously review the budget for the FCC next year.....

Congress should review the budget for the FCC. Perhaps they'll increase the line items for enforcement.

As far as consolidation is concerned, all Congress has to do is enact legislation for the FCC to follow. Then, they can sit back and watch the legal challenges from large corporations roll in, and the Supreme Court can decide the issue.

The FCC sets rules because Congress has not enacted laws to cover a particular issue, or the law enacted is vague and open to multiple interpretations.

You don't wanna mess with Seattle. It's not very corporate media friendly (The Indie/Grunge Revolution, WTO Riots anyone?) You put up a meeting like this in Seattle and Seattle WILL speak it's mind...

And big media IS too big.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom