• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle-Tacoma Radio Ratings: May 2023

I used to enjoy KIRO but have been seeking other radio venues.
Genuinely curious here as in my day job we advertise pretty heavily on KIRO-FM. Dori's passing certainly left a huge programming hole, but nothing else with the station has changed in quite some time. At least personnel-wise, it has been pretty constant. So what has changed in your perspective that has caused you to no longer like KIRO, outside of 12-3?

Genuinely curious here as in my day job we advertise pretty heavily on KIRO-FM. Dori's passing certainly left a huge programming hole, but nothing else with the station has changed in quite some time. At least personnel-wise, it has been pretty constant. So what has changed in your perspective that has caused you to no longer like KIRO, outside of 12-3?
I’d consider myself avid KIRO listener. Or at least I used to be. I definitely try to catch John Curley, but I don’t listen to most of the other shows at this point. Many of the other shows tend to be fairly one sided, which can be a little off putting. I think KIRO’s strength was in their pursuit to air different perspectives throughout the day. 12-3pm is extremely one-sided, and it’s not enjoyable to listen to. And sure, you could argue that 12-3pm has historically been one sided, but Dori’s show contrasted the morning and mid morning show with something different. If I were KIRO, I’d try to maintain the balance as much as possible.

Chico, respectfully disagree on the KIRO changes. There have been MANY in recent history. Spike could barely hold his own in the 7p-10p timeframe. Jack Stine used to hold the spot effectively and had a pretty decent show until he bailed after pulling repeated multiple shifts. IMO, KIRO ran him ragged. At least he is back but pairing him with Spike is cringe worthy in the 12-3. Most of the time it was the same Spike music trivia, name dropping DJ stuff. I dont even know who they have in the slot now, I dont listen, its that BAD. Dori passing put the 12-3 in a mess. I am sure Dori was beloved but I could not understand how a company would purchase advertisement only to have Dori butcher the drop with his weird speech patterns. Listening to him trying to pronounce Krawl Pro as an example was ridiculous. He sounded like Elmer Fudd. He did it consistently with other companies as well. Other voice personalities have done really well with drops. I wish they would put Jack back in the 7-10, it be a great follow up to John and Shari's show. The news desk personalities are pretty solid with the exception of Katrina Guischard, she leaves letters out of words which is annoying beyond words.

Appreciate the explanation, pjc. I can only go by the results my company had for the better part of 6 years with Dori as our spokesman. He was huge for us. And I believe he was the top rated talk local talker in the PNW, so clearly a lot of folks liked what he had to say and were not put off by speech patterns. (Full disclosure- as someone who falls more into the progressive camp generally, I wasn't specifically a fan of his show- all I am talking about are the results. And the results that man generated were consistent and pretty tremendous.

Sounds to me like your basic issue as a listener with KIRO FM is that they haven't filled the 12-3 correctly.

Back
Top Bottom