• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Same old stuff reworked

M

MsMusicRadio

In the sixties, it seems some cities were served by multiple strong TOP 40 stations like Chicago, New Orleans,or Oklahoma City. Others only had one F/T 'er and not necessarily wilth such a great signal like KQV in Pittsburgh, WEAM in DC, or WLCY in Tampa. How would you rank cities for best Top 40 service! I'd include number of stations that had the format and their market coverage.

MsMusicRadio said:
In the sixties, it seems some cities were served by multiple strong TOP 40 stations like Chicago, New Orleans,or Oklahoma City. Others only had one F/T 'er and not necessarily wilth such a great signal like KQV in Pittsburgh, WEAM in DC, or WLCY in Tampa. How would you rank cities for best Top 40 service! I'd include number of stations that had the format and their market coverage.

Well at one time NYC had WMCA, WINS, WMGM, WADO, and that was before WABC went full time Top 40.
Milwaukee had WOKY & WRIT plus they could easily hear WLS & WCFL.

Detroit had I think four going at one time
Philadelphia had two
Cleveland had two. I count WKYC because it purer TOP 40 than any other Group W station.
LA had 4 going in 1965

Growing up in Dallas-Ft. Worth: Dallas had KLIF and KBOX; Ft. Worth has KFJZ and KXOL. Memory flash: I do remember for a week or so, both KLIF and KFJZ kept promoting "The Big Switch" was coming and when the day arrived, they actually switched jocks for the entire day...for what reason or benefit, who knows? But it was just an offbeat promotion they did that got a lot of buzz. I remember listening to then KLIF DJ Charlie Van Dyke on KFJZ commenting "all these buttons and knobs look different."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom