• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SAM Radio stream is online

LouPickney

Inactive
Inactive User
I've discovered that, as of this post, you can listen to the SAM Radio satellite-fed stream online (at 32 kbps) via Windows Media Player.

KWUF.com

The website doesn't appear to have been updates since KWUF-FM flipped to SAM, so it's hard to say if it'll last, but if you've wanted to hear what SAM sounds like, now's your chance.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

> I've discovered that, as of this post, you can listen to the
> SAM Radio satellite-fed stream online (at 32 kbps) via
> Windows Media Player.
>
> KWUF.com
>
> The website doesn't appear to have been updates since
> KWUF-FM flipped to SAM, so it's hard to say if it'll last,
> but if you've wanted to hear what SAM sounds like, now's
> your chance.
>

The description of the FM's programming sounds very Variety Hits-ish . . . What were they before? They still do the local jazz and blues show. In fact, it's on right now (7:29 CDT, 6:29 their time). Love the local ads! "Back Country Anglers is at the original traffic light on Pagosa St.". . . Aaah, small-town radio.

> I've discovered that, as of this post, you can listen to the
> SAM Radio satellite-fed stream online (at 32 kbps) via
> Windows Media Player.
>
> KWUF.com

Or you can click here for the direct link.<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

> The description of the FM's programming sounds very Variety
> Hits-ish . . . What were they before? They still do the
> local jazz and blues show. In fact, it's on right now (7:29
> CDT, 6:29 their time). Love the local ads! "Back Country
> Anglers is at the original traffic light on Pagosa St.". . .
> Aaah, small-town radio.

According to 100000watts.com, the station used to be AC. I wonder if the local jazz/blues show was a brokered deal that the station is still obligated to run?

What I found really interesting is that both the AM and FM were called "The Wolf", even though they had different formats and were not a simulcast, to the best of my knowledge. I suppose since it's not in an Arbitron rating zone, station name confusion isn't the issue that it might be elsewhere...<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL

Darn, the fm is not connecting now. :-(

Vern
<a href="http://mysite.verizon.net/radio4u">
Radio4U</a>

> > I've discovered that, as of this post, you can listen to
> the
> > SAM Radio satellite-fed stream online (at 32 kbps) via
> > Windows Media Player.
> >
> > KWUF.com
>
> Or you can click here for the direct link.
>

> > Darn, the fm is not connecting now. :-(
>
> It's working for me as of 5:30 PM EDT. Give it another
> try...

Working for me at past midnight EDT...

-OA

> > > Darn, the fm is not connecting now. :-(
> >
> > It's working for me as of 5:30 PM EDT. Give it another
> > try...
>
> Working for me at past midnight EDT...
>
> -OA
>

I'm listening to it now. I couldn't get in yesterday because the stream was full.

Of course, they're doing local programming now, so they're not playing many hits. Gotta love small market radio.<P ID="signature">______________
...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

Listening to the stream now.....another small town radio thing....all the local imaging is still "The Wolf" while the network stuff is SAM

I used to program a station with WWOne's Bright AC...to me it is set up identical.

At least with the Variety Hits format....cold segues work good....sounded like crap on Bright AC

Also, network imaging makes more sense....with a single identifier of SAM....network stuff can match your local stuff....makes the entire presentation better. With the Bright AC feed, there is no network VO...they use the crappy overnight guy for network stuff and it sounds bad....no matter what you do locally. It is hard to tell if SAM has a network VO or not....since this station is still running its old imaging....(if you can call it that....sounds more like the PD reading liners dry)

So from what I can tell, SAM is superior to the other music formats offered by WWOne....but "looks" can be decieving....Bright AC seemed great until we signed it on!

So, if you are a small market station battling with umpteen number of ac type stations....SAM would be an improvement to your Bright AC or mainstream AC "bird"...I also think the format is more lended to a "network" approach...doesn't have to be highly localized....unlike Bright AC which really suffers from that aspect.

I take back SOME of the good words to WWOne

after listening to SAM longer....the VO guy is Gary Thompson....afternoon jock on Bright AC (who also does bright ac liners....YUCK!)

I wonder if they are making Gary available to local imaging....maybe that's why this station is behind on the liners....Gary is swamped. The dude has a 7 hour air shift and is the MD for Bright AC....plus all the affiliate crap for that...now the prod voice for SAM...hell he might even produce it....

Boy is WWOne CHEAP!!!! (when it comes to these formats)

Jones and every other service sparkles in comparison....too bad that WWOne jumped on Variety Hits first....another service could have made it better...

And i am just missing it...or is there NO JOCKS?

I can't believe anyone would sign up for a jockless bird....you can hard drive it yourself and not have to play their crap network spots or take stop downs you don't need....also no fade out tunes for backtiming....LISTENERS HATED THIS SO MUCH!!

> Jones and every other service sparkles in comparison....too
> bad that WWOne jumped on Variety Hits first....another
> service could have made it better...

Remember, SAM Radio just started this month, and it only has a few affiliates. It may be a bit premature to judge it at this point, as the company may still be getting things lined up for how it wants it to be.

> And i am just missing it...or is there NO JOCKS?

So far it's jockless.

> I can't believe anyone would sign up for a jockless bird

Variety Hits is a difficult format to program (I think it's even tougher than AAA, which I used to think was the most difficult format to program). A small market owner that wants to get in on the new format might prefer to let someone else do the programming for them. As for DJs, I don't know if those are in WW1's long-term plans or not. I'd personally think they would be beneficial, even if it's just to backsell (and not ruin the "surprise element"), but that's just my opinion.

According to the website for the SAM affiliate in Olean, NY, 1-888-729-SAM-1 is a request line for the network. I've never called that number, though, so I'm not sure if you get voice mail, someone who just writes down requests, or what.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom