• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sam Broadcaster

Hi all,
The question of the hour is how difficult to set up Sam Broadcaster? Do any of you use it? It looks fairly simple.. But if you could all help it would be great... I love Zara, but Sam sounds so good.. and it really mixes well.. I would love to see it voice track a station.. If you have info please share.... Jesse

I considered SAM back in the early days of my webstream and while I've heard both good and bad about it I just didn't take a liking to it. The interface didn't mimic the automation systems I've used and installed in other terrestrial stations. Also, since my on-air talent were folks from radio I wanted something they would feel comfortable with.

I finally opted for StationPlaylist Studio Pro, which has lots of features, very robust and user friendly. I'm even installing it at a high school radio station. It's also all not that expensive when you compare it bigger systems like NextGen (Prophet) which I did consider if I had the budget.

I use sam broadcaster for my internet radio stations, set up is easy, runs good, many features, from the startup it is good, then you can set automation and other thing to automate your station, cue voice , tracks ect, the have a 14 day trial. try it, this is the newest version and i think you will like it. I love it and it does everything i need.

;)WE use the program and it paid off .Seems to run very good with no blips or anything ! Can schedule and with the built in processer it helps and saves on any equipment u would need between .All though we have processing already it still helps for those on a low budget ......

We use SAM 3 at Rave HD our dance station in the Antelope Valley, www.xrqk.com/RaveHD.html Our young operations manager has no problems using it, with the exception of the fact it will take a break every three or four days without warning.
I also have it set up for Radio Outlaw during non live programming, for its price its not bad! We also use www.11software.com Jockey Pro which has also served us well.

Steve
www.knjoradio.com

Frank is right! Sam should be separate; our Rave HD uses a separate server.

Steve
Rave HD

The only thing I have noticed is that because of a bad habit I have... Notice I take full credit.. LOL , in any case I have this uncanny knack for placing music in the music folder, and a lot of music I dump into my documents with no folder, they just end up there... Sam for some reason decides to play a lot of one artist and even when trying to make this thing do something different it does as it wishes.. I know its probably just me and I need to move a lot of music to proper folders.. Response? what are your thoughts..????

SAM does seem to favor certain groups of songs, for whatever reason. You see this issue come up on their website all of the time. I have played with various combinations of categories trying to get a more even rotation of songs and have had varying degrees of success. With spots and formatic elements, you need to turn the weighting rules off or you'll only air the newest elements in the library.

Even though I have run SAM for many years, I'm still not an expert. So, there may be others who have a fix for this problem.

SAM is ok software, but if you're going to use it for a professional operation I would reccomend buying the music scheduling addon that they sell for it now (Music1?), the built in schedule system is goofy and doesn't allow for much flexibility.

I used SAM extensively for two years and moved to Station Playlist about eight months ago. SAM is excellent in what it does, pick music and play it. If you want to not worry too much about music selection or creating playlists, SAM can be very powerful in rotations using clockwheels and a programming language (called PAL), effectively you can load a few thousand tracks, set up some rotations and let it just run and run and run. Out of fairness, I've had it run for about 20 days before odd things happens, and a couple of times the database corrupted for no obvious reason but as a rule I found it reliable. The user that reports it ran for 3-4 days before it exploded, should take a peek at their hardware.

However, I've been in broadcating fulltime for over 25 years (mostly TV)and Station Playlist thinks the way I do, like a broadcaster. Yes, I have to create schedules (but I did that with SAM as the clockwheels did have their flaws).

Use whatever you feel most comfortable with. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom