• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rode Procaster

spacetrucker

Inactive
Inactive User
Is anyone using the Rode Procaster? How does it stack up to a RE20 or SM7?

Heard a clip - not good. I own two Rode mics, they both
have vices. I've learned if you want the sound of a certain mic, buy
THAT mic.

Buy good, buy once. Buy cheap, buy twice (or more).

So, are you saying the NTG-3 doesn't really stack up against the Sennheiser-416?

I have a Rode NT2. Love it. I prefer it over a TLM103. If for some reason I can't use my 416, I go to the NT2.

I was commenting on the Procaster. The clip I heard was thin and gritty, not
smooth like an RE20.

I have also heard the NTG3. It did sound very similar to a 416.

My experience though, is to save up for the mic you really want.
If it's a 416, that's what you should get.

surfdude said:
I was commenting on the Procaster. The clip I heard was thin and gritty, not
smooth like an RE20.

I have also heard the NTG3. It did sound very similar to a 416.

My experience though, is to save up for the mic you really want.
If it's a 416, that's what you should get.

I agree with surf. I bought two mics recently...now for sale (see Gear 4 Sale post) that the money would've been better spent going towards the mic I really wanted, the Soundelux U195 (now Bock Audio 195).

If you want a 416, spend the $300 more over the NTG3. It's worth it. I have a 416. Never once have I regretted paying for it (retail!).

Or.....find a Sennheiser 415 T-Power...an older version with (imho) a better capsule..It requires an adaptor to make it play with phantom power, but generally runs a lot $$ less than a new 416. Nice Nice mic! Bigger low end, and a beautiful but small tip at 9.5k for upper midrange.

Guess I got here before Jeff Laurence could reply, but no, that's an electret. The 415 looks just like a silver 416, it's just the older version.

JJ

Yup Jeff's spot on the 415 is silver..and REMEMBER it requires an adaptor to convert the 48v phanton to 12 volt..UNLESS it has been modified..the modified ones have an XLR three pin connector..the original has a Tuchel screw on connector.

We got two, and I ain't NEVER givin' these up..amazing..like a 416, but warmer..unless I am completely deaf (which is possible of course..so YMMV)

Bob..we have two main studios..and each one is outfitted with the same mic chain.

I had an original Neumann/Telefunken U48a back in the early 70's that I had to sell quick to avoid a nasty bout with near bankruptcy..Only got 1000 bucks for it..and it was sweet.

I was able in 2000 to buy one of Capitol Records' surplus Telefunken U47s, and got the magic back..the magic dried up in 2004 when we needed a replacement VF14 tube..and parted with 1800USD for a dud! Sold the mic to an Aisian fellow who got wind of it being used for Nat King Cole, and Peggy Lee..and wanted it bad.

With the new facility near Atlanta being built we decided to go with mostly newer gear..and went through a ton of paid trial mics..ADK Hamburgs/Vienna II..Brauner Phantoms, Microtech/Geffell, new Neumanns, and AKG 414's..and Bob..I still have them

But I caved in again..and needed to go vintage with the mics again so we have landed on a couple of East German vintage Gefell UM70s for video narration and work that needs a lot of magic. It has the awesome M7 capsule. It is a very big sounding but intimate and not boomy mic.

John Peluso's wonderful 2247LE tube condensers are used for network broadcast TV and soft sell radio..beautiful low end and nice air when used with a quality preamp.

For edgier work, and car spots, concert etc..I still love the Sennheiser MKH416 that we have for the motorhome studio..in both fixed rooms I found two 415s..love them love them!

My name is Jeff..I am a micaholic...

Bought a Podcaster when they first came out. Got in on sale for $199. It's beautifully built, rugged, a quality piece. As for performance I found it a little disappointing. Gain was super low and I felt it sounded a little thin. Like many mics it is in desperate need of a processor. That is not a trait you want in a mic meant to plug directly into your computer. My Podcaster is pretty much a collectable now as it just sits there and looks good. Still, in a pinch it can be used, but you'll do a bit of processing to the tracks in your editing program, to make it sound better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom