• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rock & Roll

jfrancispastirchak said:
RicoGregg said:
jfrancis-

Reference to the incident can be found in James Bacon's 1978 book, Hollywood is a Four Letter Town. Bacon was not only a longtime Hollywood observer and writer, but he was a friend of Sinatra's.

Thanks, RicoG. Bacon's book title rings a bell with me, but I never knew of his connection to Sinatra, so I missed the account of shooting up the town. Would have made great reference work for my story. Still, I loved Sinatra, and I miss him dearly. I guess the mischievious Sinatra of old pales in comparison to the man who could later boast, "...did it maaaahhheee waaaaaeeeyy..."

Sinatra had a kind of class to which nobody, not Snoop, nor any other (C)RAP culture character, can ever hope to aspire. Say what we want about his connections to unsavory criminal elements; Sinatra himself never did anything that left behind bleeding bodies lying in the streets.

No denying his talent, on mic or on screen, but here's a good example of his class:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/08/excerpt-craig-brown-book

TheFonz said:
melan8tr said:
who said you had settled the doo-wop issue, this is the same bag of worms...saying chuck berry and pitbull are rock n roll is like saying...glen miller and snoop are big band..not a continuum of pop music...there are what maybe over 40 different billboard charts today (I'm guessing here..) Train and Pitbull can now be pigeon-holed where they belong....this is the same issue as doo-wop...define the term rock n roll, who coined it , when was it coined , there are references to rock n roll back to the start of the blues maybe further back ..where does it end the 70's the 80's , later, when did it cease being rock n roll and become metal, thrash, hard rock, industrial,grunge, punk, alternative, your not gonna settle this one either.

If the American Bandstand dancers back in the 1950s wouldn't be able to dance to it, then it ain't Rock & Roll.

An excellent definition.

Rock & Roll turned into Rock when the R & B part was left behind in the rush to do power chords.

Not that there isn't room in the universe for both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom