• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rock and Roll Research Study

Be part of an important research study on rock and roll music and the Civil Rights Movement

Are you between 63 and 85 years of age?

Did you listen to rock and roll music as a teenager or young adult?

If you answered YES to these questions, you may be eligible to participate in an exciting research study on rock and roll music and racial attitudes during the 1950s and ‘60s.

The purpose of this research study is to determine whether rock and roll music affected perspectives on racial politics among teenagers and young adults during the U.S. Civil Rights Movement, and if those perspectives have changed through the years. If you are eligible, you will be asked to meet with the researcher for a one- to two-hour-long email or audio-taped interview. There is no cost to you in order to participate.

Adults between 63 and 85 years of age who grew up in the United States, and who identify as either white (Caucasian/European-American) or black (African-American) are eligible.

This study is being conducted by Beth Fowler, a Senior Lecturer in the Irvin D. Reid Honors College at Wayne State University.

Please submit inquiries to [email protected] for more information.

If no one minds, I'll offer my comments.

I'm too young for the study.

I didn't listen to "rock and roll" as a teenager, although by that time, it was limited to TV series such as "Happy Days" and record collections advertised on TV commercials. "Rock" was played on Top 40 and album-oriented stations but I didn't listen to those.

I actually listen to "rock and roll" now more than I did when I was younger. It actually sounds good now compared to everything else.

I took part in this interview several days ago and really didn't know what to expect. The major themes seemed to revolve around the music of those days (transition from early 50's RnB to what we now call Rock) and the racial attitudes that went along with the music. The interviewer is looking for mostly Black vs White opinions and relations and because I grew up in a virtual Black-free area my only useful comparisons were with Hispanics.

It is a thoughtful study though but I think the ideal interview would be someone from a large Eastern city where the Black influence on both the music and race relations were more visible than in the small town America of that day. Since that musical transition was largely driven by Philadelphia in those days (think American Bandstand, Doo-Wop groups etc.) I think the ideal candidate would have been someone born in the mid-40's and growing up in the NJ/Eastern PA/NYC area.

If this study is still open I would be interested in being a part of it. Reply to this if it is. I am in the upper part of the age range.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom