• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations for 2019

Why not? Michael Jackson is in. Floyd Cramer is in. Johnny Cash is in. Louis Armstrong is in.

I don't understand Thin Lizzy. One hit wonders with the one hit based on a stolen riff.

MC5 and John Prine had no hits. But yeah, I see your point on Thin Lizzy, although the criteria for musical significance for inductees seem to grow fuzzier with each passing year. What exactly have the Dave Matthews Band or Motorhead done that is groundbreaking or of lasting note?

No problem with Houston, except it probably means Mariah Carey follows her in when she's eligible. But that's just personal taste. Whitney's recordings stood out in the '80s and still hold up today.

Would love to see the Doobie Brothers get in. A local musician friend and his wife, who occasionally play acoustic shows in Cleveland with Raspberries drummer Jim Bonfant as an occasional guest there, are hoping the Raspberries get a nomination at some point.

Why not? Michael Jackson is in. Floyd Cramer is in. Johnny Cash is in. Louis Armstrong is in.
Michael had "Beat It", "Dirty Diana" and a couple of others that are actually rock.

Not sure how to justify Floyd Cramer or Louis Armstrong.

Johnny Cash has done pretty much everything.

Michael had "Beat It", "Dirty Diana" and a couple of others that are actually rock.

Not sure how to justify Floyd Cramer or Louis Armstrong.

Johnny Cash has done pretty much everything.

Floyd Cramer played piano for Elvis, Brenda Lee, the Everly Brothers and more. He was featured on "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight" among others.

Quoting the HoF site:

"His self-taught, one-of-a-kind style made him the most sought after session pianist in Nashville.

Floyd Cramer originated the “slip note” style, his signature slurred sound that lent the lonesome sound to Elvis Presley’s “Heartbreak Hotel.”

I don't understand Thin Lizzy. One hit wonders with the one hit based on a stolen riff.

I would have to guess that Jann Wenner wants them in. The RRHOF is pretty much his personal playtoy.

I would have to guess that Jann Wenner wants them in. The RRHOF is pretty much his personal playtoy.

Remember, these are only the nominees. The voting is only beginning. Besides, Thin Lizzy has been on the ballot before and was a distant also-ran. Many acts never get beyond this stage and there's nothing Wenner or anyone else can do to get them into the HOF if they don't get enough support. It's not like there's a Veterans Committee, as there is in baseball, whose job it is to second-guess the voters (baseball writers) every few years and confer HOF status on supposedly unappreciated players -- the committee is responsible for Bill Mazeroski, Ron Santo, Harold Baines and others being in the Hall even though the writers had never thought them worthy.

Wenner's role in all this has been the subject of much conjecture over the years. Many have cited his disdain for artsy bands like Yes and the Moody Blues and the whole progressive genre, yet several acts of that type have gotten in in recent years, including Yes and the Moody Blues. One thing that's known for certain is that the names on the ballot have to contain enough still-living artists in a variety of genres (including some that most people wouldn't consider rock) to guarantee an attractive live show to offer television in the annual induction gala special. Wenner almost certainly has a hand in this, but if he has somehow been manipulating the actual ballots after they've been cast to make sure his "teacher's pets" get in or acts on his "s--- list" never do, then one would think a whistle blower would have emerged by now to expose the charade.

Floyd Cramer played piano for Elvis, Brenda Lee, the Everly Brothers and more. He was featured on "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight" among others.

Quoting the HoF site:

"His self-taught, one-of-a-kind style made him the most sought after session pianist in Nashville.

Floyd Cramer originated the “slip note” style, his signature slurred sound that lent the lonesome sound to Elvis Presley’s “Heartbreak Hotel.”
I only knew him for easy listening, and of course I liked his distinctive style.

Can't wait for Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift to get in. Probably 2030 or so.

Glad to see Thin Lizzy getting some recognition. As for hits, they had several AOR hits during the 1970's.

Would love to see the Doobie Brothers get in. A local musician friend and his wife, who occasionally play acoustic shows in Cleveland with Raspberries drummer Jim Bonfant as an occasional guest there, are hoping the Raspberries get a nomination at some point.
I do like a lot of what the Doobies did.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom