• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rock and Roll H.O.F.

IMO - not one of the better years for the HOF. I am not an REM fan, but they put on a nice segment. Eddie Vedder's induction speech was classy.

I don't get Patti Smith, but my Dad says she was the s**&. He introduced me to Led Zep, Floyd, the Stones, Who and CSN & Y etc..., so I'll give him that one.

Was Ronnie Spector drunk? Seriously.

For me Van Halen was the biggest let down. Eddie, Alex and Dave should have been there. Eddie picked an interesting time in his career to try and kick the bottle again. Dave was great as Vh's frontman, but has sucked in EVERYTHING he has done since. I felt that Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar were sincere when they thanked the VH brothers and Roth. Both seemed genuinely happy to be there, and both seemed uncomfortable being there by themselves.

I had high expectations for Velvet Revolver's cover of "Ain't Talkin about Love", and man what a let down that was. What exactly was Scott Weiland doing on stage, having convulsions? The music was OK, his singing was a bit out there. I like Velvet Revolver, I liked STP a lot, but I did not enjoy this performance at all.

Did anybody else watch? What were some high-lites, low-lites for you?

I'm not a big REM fan either, so I didn't stick around to watch their induction. I cared more about Van Halen. I agree that Velvet Revolver's cover of the VH tune was not happening... mostly because the lead singer was trying to pull of an "I'm angry and quirky guy and LOOK AT ME!" kind of performance. VH was always about havin' fun, whether Roth or Hagar was up front and the Velvet Revolver performance was not that at all. It was too bad that only Mike Anthony and Hagar showed up. It would have been nice to have all VH guys there, especially to hear them play together. VH tunes need Eddie's guitar. I will say it was very classy for Mike Anthony to say Gary Cherone deserves a little bit of credit for VH being in the Hall of Fame. It's not really true since Cherone's time in the band resulted in one very disappointing album. But Anthony showed a lot of class by recognizing that Cherone (a good guy and a good singer) is a part of the band's legacy.

I only saw part of the show. Patti Smith could have left the social/political commentary out of her speech. The part about how the young artists can make the world a better place. It sounded like something out of the 1960s or 1970s. I think Patti is stuck in those decades.

Ronnie Spector probaly was drunk. Since he he might be going to the graybar hotel courtsey of The State of California. ::)

nativeatlanta said:
I only saw part of the show. Patti Smith could have left the social/political commentary out of her speech. The part about how the young artists can make the world a better place. It sounded like something out of the 1960s or 1970s. I think Patti is stuck in those decades.

Oh Yeah - if Britney Spears and company are going to make the world a better place, we are in serious trouble.

Im the alternative rebel here I guess. I love REM, love Patti Smith, and I enjoyed the rest of the ceremony. I dont mind VH but Im not a fanatic or anything. I enjoyed the induction speech by Hagar and Anthony. They were both classy and professional in a very troubling situation.

Personally, the RRHOF doesn't hold any weight until the Moody Blues, Yes, Deep Purple, ELP, Genesis, Supertramp, etc...are inducted.
I find the whole thing very biased against hard rock and progressive rock, while many politically correct bands are inducted....the HOF is a joke!

ELP- yawn! Genesis- Peter Gabriel only. Yes- maybe Deep Purple- perhaps but only the Blackmore-Gillan stuff. Supertramp- maybe. Some very good albums. Moody Blues- yes.

drpickle said:
ELP- yawn! Genesis- Peter Gabriel only. Yes- maybe Deep Purple- perhaps but only the Blackmore-Gillan stuff. Supertramp- maybe. Some very good albums. Moody Blues- yes.
You can add Chicago and ELO to that list.
I'll give you ELP...but all the others should definitely be in....especially with the likes of Billy Joel, James Taylor, Percy Sledge, Lovin' Spoonfull already in.

Chicago has not made anything remotely noteworthy since 1976. They largely make sappy love songs. Granted, they always did but the early Chicago had a legitimate jazzy kick to it. Then they just kept doing the same stuff which became banal once the 80's came around. Blood Sweat And Tears was the best jazz oriented rock band and they should be in ahead of Chicago.

drpickle said:
Chicago has not made anything remotely noteworthy since 1976. They largely make sappy love songs. Granted, they always did but the early Chicago had a legitimate jazzy kick to it. Then they just kept doing the same stuff which became banal once the 80's came around. Blood Sweat And Tears was the best jazz oriented rock band and they should be in ahead of Chicago.
You could say that about Chicago, but the same could be said about Elton John.
Actually, all of Chicago's albums with Terry Kath are all top notch, but after the first couple BS and T, there wasn't nothing noteworthy.

And there seems to be no accounting for longevity...Cream, The Police, Buffalo Springfield all had short careers, yet are in the HOF.

I know this isn't really "rock/classic rock", but since the topic is Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and I didn't see them mentioned in the first post, I was glad to see the girl-group, the Ronettes, finally inducted so that they're joining the Supremes, Martha & the Vandellas, and the Shirelles for girl-groups in the H.O.F.

And yeah, what a disappointment with Van Halen. It would've been so great to see them together.

My 2 cents/votes on recent HOF suggestions...

The Police - yes
Chicago - yes
Blood, Sweat & Tears - no
Genesis - yes
Cream - no (Eric Clapton, yes)
Deep Purple - yes (for smoke on the water alone, it's iconic)
Moody Blues - yes
Supertramp - no
ELP - NO

The whole Chicago vs. BS&T debate: Although BS&T brought the style first in '67, Chicago did it better, and like most great bands they learned to later evolve instead of spinning their wheels trying to recreate a dated sound...15 platinum albums and over 20 top-10 hits. I personally wasn't a huge fan, but I know the numbers stack up in their favor...a lot of fans and a lot of hits, plain and simple.

mcamp said:
Personally, the RRHOF doesn't hold any weight until the Moody Blues, Yes, Deep Purple, ELP, Genesis, Supertramp, etc...are inducted.
I find the whole thing very biased against hard rock and progressive rock, while many politically correct bands are inducted....the HOF is a joke!

You can throw KISS in the mix, too. Sure, there music wasnt the best, but they pretty much influenced all the rock bands that came afterwards with their stage theatrics. I stopped listening to KISS when I was about 18, but as a kid, there wasnt a bigger hard rock band this side of Zeppelin than KISS. For them to not be in the RRHOF is a freAaking joke, IMHO of course.

I agree - I think we will see Kiss in the H of F sooner than later. They have been around forever, they were trend setters when they started, and while they might not be th ebest songwriters around, they would add some spice to the H of F.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom