• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Robert Heil, microphone innovator, at 83

Robert "Bob" Heil passed of cancer on February 28.

Heil began his career as a theater organist, and got into electronics in the 1960s, first with public address equipment and later finding a specialty in microphones. He and his wife sold Heil Sound in 2022.
He was also an amateur radio operator, as K9EID. Heil was the host of the long-running "Ham Nation" podcast until recently.

My former church has a huge Heil speaker from the previous congregation, which was original to 1978. The building was abandoned for several years, until the former minister gifted it to the current congregation (which then put in over $30,000 in repairs and a new metal roof).

Currently I own 5 Heil HB-1 mic booms.....Rugged and inexpensive.....
The Heil condenser mics are well-respected in broadcast circles --- along with Shure and E-V......
RIP, Bob.....

Heil dynamic mics are also sweet. Used in both live sound and broadcast/podcast studios, I'm a longtime fan of their sound.

He developed the Heil talk box, first used by Joe Walsh and then by Peter Frampton who used it extensively on his multi-platinum Frampton Comes Alive where I'm sure most of you have heard it.

As mentioned above, he was a big ham radio enthusiast and developed some very well-regarded gear specifically for that field.

He was an innovative sound engineer who had an interesting life and career, and who created some truly excellent gear.

Back
Top Bottom