• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP Teena Marie

H

hornet61

Soul Singer Teena Marie died at age 54, no details of cause.... great stuff from Teena, especially with Rick James..Her dedication to R&B was huge , she once said "I am a black artist, with white Skin",

Goodbye "Lovergirl".....

As a "pop" music listener, "Lovergirl" was about the only song by her that I was really familiar with. I wish the record company had not done that early fade with the rap at the tail end of it, because that early fade often forced djs to cut it off during the rap piece at the end of it.

firepoint525 said:
As a "pop" music listener, "Lovergirl" was about the only song by her that I was really familiar with. I wish the record company had not done that early fade with the rap at the tail end of it, because that early fade often forced djs to cut it off during the rap piece at the end of it.
I am am older and the only reason I was familiar with Teena Marie was thru my club work, If I had a nickel for every time I played "Fire and Desire" w/Rick James or Square Biz, I'd be debt free. With Album versions, single versions, and in that era, the extended Mixx versions there was all kinds of editing done.

About 1978 Sugarhill records release of Rappers Delight 14:32 minutes of pure unadulterated dance floor heaven, the industry became enamoured of entended mixx's, and i must say I liked them, from a club DJ standpoint. It gave our Hot cuts a second Life, when the single version would come out and start to fade...the 12" extended re-mixx would come out and give a whole second life. Some of the best of the early 12 inchers were:

Dance, Dance, Dance -Chic
San Francisco/Hollywood - Village People
The Breaks - Curtis Blow
Everything by - Kool and The gang
Dan Hartman - Vertigo
Donna Summer -Hot Stuff /Bad Girls
Pointer Sisters - I'm So Shy
Wordy Rappinghood - Tom Tom Club
Le Freak - Chic (might be the most sampled song ever)

Suprisingly enough one the most successful labels RSO didn't release any extended mixx's that I recall, i may be wrong, never saw any Bee' Gee's Mixx's. In the 90's several Rap stars and DJ's re-mixxed several Bee-Gee's mostly on a sampled basis, they sounded pretty cool.

hornet61 said:
firepoint525 said:
I am am older and the only reason I was familiar with Teena Marie was thru my club work, If I had a nickel for every time I played "Fire and Desire" w/Rick James or Square Biz, I'd be debt free. With Album versions, single versions, and in that era, the extended Mixx versions there was all kinds of editing done.

About 1978 Sugarhill records release of Rappers Delight 14:32 minutes of pure unadulterated dance floor heaven, the industry became enamoured of entended mixx's, and i must say I liked them, from a club DJ standpoint. It gave our Hot cuts a second Life, when the single version would come out and start to fade...the 12" extended re-mixx would come out and give a whole second life. Some of the best of the early 12 inchers were:

Dance, Dance, Dance -Chic
San Francisco/Hollywood - Village People
The Breaks - Curtis Blow
Everything by - Kool and The gang
Dan Hartman - Vertigo
Donna Summer -Hot Stuff /Bad Girls
Pointer Sisters - I'm So Shy
Wordy Rappinghood - Tom Tom Club
Le Freak - Chic (might be the most sampled song ever)

Suprisingly enough one the most successful labels RSO didn't release any extended mixx's that I recall, i may be wrong, never saw any Bee' Gee's Mixx's. In the 90's several Rap stars and DJ's re-mixxed several Bee-Gee's mostly on a sampled basis, they sounded pretty cool.
Actually "Rapper's Delight" was released in late 1979. It got to #36 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart in January 1980.

Are there any details about Teena Marie's death? All that I've heard is that she died of 'natural causes.'

the golden boy said:
Not yet determined.

"While no cause of death has been released, the singer’s publicist Lynn Jeter said that Marie suffered a grand mal seizure marked by loss of consciousness and violent muscle contractions a month ago. We told you Marie suffered a grand mal seizure a month ago and had been taking meds for it but friends say she stopped taking the medicine a few weeks ago." this came from blackmediascoop.com....

firepoint525 said:

Disco Loving, Square Biz, and Fire and Desire were played a lot in Houston on KMJQ back in the day. Fire and Desire was played a lot on KTFM in San Antonio, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom