• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP: Molly Ivins

D

doc9464

http://www.texasobserver.org/ => tribute

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16910834/

Clip:

To Ivins, “liberal” wasn’t an insult term. “Even I felt sorry for Richard Nixon when he left; there’s nothing you can do about being born liberal — fish gotta swim and hearts gotta bleed,” she wrote in a column included in her 1998 collection, “You Got to Dance With Them What Brung You.”

In a column in mid-January, Ivins urged readers to stand up against Bush’s plan to send more troops to Iraq.

“We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war,” Ivins wrote in the Jan. 11 column. “We need people in the streets, banging pots and pans and demanding, ’Stop it, now!”’

We will miss you Molly.......there is so much still to be done....and your voice will be missed in the struggle...

"Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?" Not any more. Well, the woman who wrote about
"Shrub" is having an nice cool lemonade with Ann Richards right now. Although I'm
conservative on most issues, I do feel bad she didn't live to see the day when Dubya
leaves office and feel bad she had to suffer three bouts of breast cancer.

doc9464 said:
To Ivins, “liberal” wasn’t an insult term. “Even I felt sorry for Richard Nixon when he left; there’s nothing you can do about being born liberal — fish gotta swim and hearts gotta bleed,” she wrote in a column included in her 1998 collection, “You Got to Dance With Them What Brung You.”

Funny thing about looking back. I was a newbie Communicatons major at college in 1974, a conservative, with more liberal classmates than I could shake a rolled-up newspaper at. Molly Ivans was the patron saint of young, liberal co-ed Journalism majors at my college at both they and Molly danced in the streets when Nixon resigned. They kept dancing until Ford pardoned him, and quickly reverted back to attack form with a vengance. If Molly ever "felt sorry" for Nixon she never mentioned it in any column or speech at the time. All I remember is the mean-spirited hatred focused on Nixon and then Ford. I was in a number of debates on how Americans needed to better separate political policies from political people. It was a pretty hopeless case then as it is today. Perhaps Molly realized many years later how destructive and powerful the media could be be, and eventually came to regret the treatment Nixon got from herself and others. So all you "Bush/Nazi/Smirking Chimp etc etc" advocates, take a lesson from a now departed fellow liberal.

The other point Molly's talk about being "born liberal" and how somehow she was only fulfilling some kind of political karma in what she did. I don't believe any of it. Another fellow female liberal of Molly's at the time used to say that women needed men "like a fish needs a bicycle" Though I never got one, I can only wonder if Gloria Steinem sent out her wedding invitations years later with an illustration of a trout pedaling on a Schwinn. Whether it be politics, sexual preference, religion, supporting your President, or ripping your President to shreads; peoplecan] change. It all depends on the strength of their character.

One might wonder....

If there is to be a public memorial of any sort....

How many Democrat Leaders (OK, oxymoron alarm blasting in the background) might find it not inconvenient to attend.

But I would not be surprised were a resolution (non-binding) introduced to suggest that flags be flown at half-staff for a month or so.....

I know....nasty, nasty, nasty....... But demonstrates that I learn from the experience of others and, therefore, am human!

Perhaps Molly realized many years later how destructive and powerful the media could be be, and eventually came to regret the treatment Nixon got from herself and others.

Perhaps not. Her vituperative screeds against the President, going back to Texas, contain nothing more that an updated late 20th/early 21st century version of what Nixon faced from her and her ilk--baseless hatred of a man for his policies and ideology.

May she rest in peace, wherever she is. The scoldings can wait.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom