• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP Crossover FM 105.1 Manila

Just noticed today that the legendary 105.1 Crossover FM in Manila, Philippines fipped to Top 40 as Q105 (and rumors of it possibly being sold) on Dec 31 after 25 years of some form of Smooth AC. The format lives onlinr, though.
https://www.facebook.com/CROSSOVER.FM/

I suppose the Smooth Jazz format reached its end in most of the U.S. 10-15 years ago. Canada had one Smooth Jazz station in the Hamilton-Toronto market, 94.7 The Wave, but that was also short-lived. It switched to Country in the 2000s.

And the U.K. had a national network called Jazz FM, that became Smooth FM and is now Smooth Radio. But over time, it moved from Jazz to Jazz-AC to now a standard Soft AC sound.

There are a number of Smooth Jazz HD stations owned and operated by Entercom. In NYC, it is heard on WNEW-FM 102.7-HD2. In Los Angeles, it is heard on KTWV 94.7-HD2. They only run public service announcements, no commercials.

But as far as I know, there are only two Smooth Jazz stations still on conventional FM radio in the U.S. WEIB 106.3 in Northampton, Massachusetts, near Springfield. And WSBZ 106.3 in Miramar Beach, Florida, near Fort Walton Beach. Both are in wealthy tourist communities.

But as far as I know, there are only two Smooth Jazz stations still on conventional FM radio in the U.S. WEIB 106.3 in Northampton, Massachusetts, near Springfield. And WSBZ 106.3 in Miramar Beach, Florida, near Fort Walton Beach. Both are in wealthy tourist communities.

You forgot KOAZ 103.7/95.9 the Oasis in New Mexico. Fed through the AM 1510 but still locally-based. Awesome, awesome station. May they never go away. Incredible wide playlist with lots of older and newer SJ, smooth vocals from all over the place - Bobby Caldwell, Sade, Manhattan Transfer, etc. and plenty of Latin guitar music.

While Jazz FM morphed into Smooth Radio as a terrestrial station, the original format returned on DAB in 2008, and is also available online and app.

Hamilton-Toronto's "Wave 94-7" exists as an HD subchannel, and has an online stream.

Crossover has migrated its jazz/R&B format to an online stream. My favorite era of the station was between 2000 and 2002, and I recorded some of it. Before the format change, I was in the process of uploading my files to archive.org. As time allows I will add the files I have over to that page. Here is the link: https://archive.org/details/009dwbmcrossover105.1mhz7march2001 . if you click on the highlighted link called "Smooth Jazz Airchecks" you will find other stations I've uploaded to archive.org .

Last edited:

I wouldn't call Northampton a tourist community. It's a college town in the middle of a whole bunch of prestigious, high-priced colleges (and UMass). I doubt the students are the reason WEIB is still playing smooth jazz, though. Maybe their professors like it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom