• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rick Dees vs. Ryan Seacrest

porkythepig

Inactive
Inactive User
Which countdown (Weekly Top 40 or American Top 40, respectively) is better?

Is Seacrest's show too non-music based?  On the year-end show and Fergie had the number one song, and he was more excited about talking about a fued between Fergie and Nelly Furtado, then conference calling Fergie and her mom, than he was about unveiling the biggest song of the year for listeners.  And the way he delivers some of the celebrity news sounds like a 16 year-old girl on the phone with a friend rather than a guy hosting a radio show.

Is Dees' show too dated, old school, and cheesy?  I swear to god, some of same bits and laugh sound effects from 10 years ago (my first step in the biz was board-oping the show) are STILL being used today.  He could freshen it up a bit every 10 years or so.

Both shows have their ups and downs. Dees is a radio legend, while everyone in the radio/TV business SHOULD be jealous of Seacrest ;)

Casey Kasem's show started to sound dated and Rick Dees was the good alternative. Rick's show started to sound stale and dated and programmers replaced him with Seacrest. When Seacrest is on his way out in 15 years, it'll be someone else.

porkythepig said:
while everyone in the radio/TV business SHOULD be jealous of Seacrest ;)

I am. But, I am happy to have a "squishy" job too...

Historically, I vote Dees. Currently, I vote Seacrest.

I thought I caught his show on the air in my area recently, Rick Dees that is.

Ryan Seacrest is way too casual for a countdown show. Even Casey Kasem is more exciting when you hear his American Top 40, the Seventies when he announces the #1 song, which also seems to be like yeah, this is #1.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom