• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rhythmic Hot Adult Contemporary - Rhythmic HOT AC radio

H

Human Numan

I have an ideal for a new radio format called Rhythmic Hot Adult Contemporary or Rhythmic HOT AC. A Rhythmic HOT AC station unlike a regular HOT AC station would include older and newer versions of hip hop and r&b music, rock music and pop music and country music like Taylor Swift that make it to CHR or Contemporary Hits Radio charts.

Mix 104.1 in Boston is HOT AC, but they are almost like you said your idea @Human Numan. The only thing they don't play is Hip Hop music. They do play some Rhythmic music. The only thing they need to do, is play some NEW Urban AC music (Freddie Jackson, Mary J Blige, Tank, and Charlie Wilson) to name a few. Other than that, they are great. That's the only thing that will make them better, and also maybe put a Urban AC weekend Syndicated Show or two on.
Besides those, they are great

oh, ok,
sorryyyyyy
anyways, I still like your ideas. We used to have a Rhythmic AC station here in Boston, buut now it is one of those (We Play Everything) stations. Which mostly plays Classic Rock 70%, the rest of the percent is AC, HOT AC, and some famous Oldschool Hip Hop songs which is not much.
I wish they brought it back, if the have programmed it right, it would've lasted longer, and still be on today

Mix 101.9/Chicago is basically doing what you're describing (2000s and today pop, rock, hip-hop) - so is Mix 106.5/Baltimore, Q102/Cincinnati, and I guess Mix 104.1/Boston, although you can't tell as much from their playlist

Also, a lot of West Coast Hot ACs (and some East Coast) are trying Alternative/Hot AC hybrids

Basically, I think the Lifehouse/Nickelback/Daughtry/Goo Goo Dolls thing has run its course in most liberal markets, so a lot of Hot ACs are exploring other options, like you're mentioning

From a programming point of view, you may like to hear late 90's Usher 3x a week, but the average person probably doesn't. My question is how deep do you plan on going for this Hot AC. If it's too urban/rap sounding, it'll sound like an out of date CHR, but if it has too much 90's, it'll sound like a Rhythmic AC.

I like the idea, but finding 300+ quality songs to play regularly, plus 30 currents is going to be difficult. You may end up at Urban AC. However, if you can balance it with some faster rock/pop (i.e. Lifehouse "Halfway Gone" & Neon Trees "Animal") and possibly use some rock/urban mixes or collaborations (Linkin Park/Jay-Z "Numb/Encore", Timbaland/OneRepublic "Apologize" & even the OneRepublic rhythmic version of "Secrets"), this format may have a distinct sound. Obviously, it would have to be tailored to fit the market (DC would be more urban than Louisville). This is where local FM's still have an advantage over Internet, local programming skews.

butlerguy03 said:
From a programming point of view, you may like to hear late 90's Usher 3x a week, but the average person probably doesn't.

Yeah, I think a big problem is that a lot of hip-hop/dance tracks tend to sound really dated 10 years later, and I feel like most hip-hop/rhythmic fans really like to hear what's brand new, "hot", trending in the clubs, etc., whereas fans of pop/rock tend to care less whether a song is brand new or 10 years old

atlantaboy said:
Yeah, I think a big problem is that a lot of hip-hop/dance tracks tend to sound really dated 10 years later, and I feel like most hip-hop/rhythmic fans really like to hear what's brand new, "hot", trending in the clubs, etc., whereas fans of pop/rock tend to care less whether a song is brand new or 10 years old

KTU/NY has a formula of established rhythmic currents/recurrents + biggest rhythmic hits of the past 10 years + occcasional rhythmic 90's track, and it's working out quite well for them.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement about older rhythmic songs being dated. Which songs hold up after 10 years is going to depend highly on the makeup of the market.

KBIG in Los Angeles use to carry the format for years mixing in current hits with 70's 80's and 90's hits. A few Movin stations did the same thing before they bit the dust WMVN in St. Louis and KMVA in Pheniox. WMIA in Miamai and WISX in Philly are somewhat Rhythmic Hot AC after a few tweaks.

S said:
atlantaboy said:

KTU/NY has a formula of established rhythmic currents/recurrents + biggest rhythmic hits of the past 10 years + occcasional rhythmic 90's track, and it's working out quite well for them.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement about older rhythmic songs being dated. Which songs hold up after 10 years is going to depend highly on the makeup of the market.

I agree, except that KTU is in a market where half the population goes out to dance clubs every night (or used to when they were younger) - most markets don't support stations like that

I can see New York, Chicago, San Fransico, Los Angeles, and Miamai with the format. The problem is they all stick to the same playlist and the so call national PD thinks it fits the market. I would love for Los Angeles to have one again

It all depends on the market. There are markets where the pop-rock stuff from the past 10 to 20 years has been burned to a crisp. Others where that may not necessarily be the case. If you are ina place where the rhythmic/dance stuff from that time gets lettle to no airplay now, hearing it may give some listeners the "oh wow" factor.

WZPL in Indianapolis seems to be heading in this direction. A lot of the older pop rock (Goo Goo Dolls, Third Eye Blind, Black Crowes, 3 Doors Down, Alanis stuff) has been cut out. It sounds much fresher and current. They've added a lot of rhythmic stuff in like Usher, LMFAO, Pitbull, Pink, ect).

It seems well balanced now. They dominate the 18-44 female groups now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom