• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Revealing Consolidation Report due out soon

DavidEduardo said:
The fact is that all broadcast issues were trading much higher in the pre-2001 era, and the whole industry (as well as TV, cable, slyndication, newspapers, etc.) have been beaten down by the market. None of this has anything to do with deregulation, Docket 80-90, consolidation or the Mays family.

Oh, I wasn't picking on the Mays family or Clear Channel in particular. Because they are big, they are an easy target. Everyone takes pot shots at them, and they are in the headlines at the moment. But the problem is far more widespread than that.

My point is a lot of the consolidation fever was, and is, at the expense of the shareholders. The same can be said for the Dot Com debacle or Enron. As far as I know, everything at CC was done within the confines of the law and above boards. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should do something. It's more a mater of personal ethics. Everyone has their comfort level.

Re: Revealing Consolidation Report due out soon-IT'S HERE!

SUPERCASTER said:
Here are the links to articles and the report:

I just can not believe how ignorant these people are of radio formats.

For many years I've read and heard research showing that the U.S. economy is built upon the success of small businesses. It's the 'ma and pa' shops that keep this country running. It's the same for broadcasting. It's the small market broadcaster that is keeping radio alive. And, in most cases, that's AM radio. It appears there are people like 'lash' and many others who understand broadcasting from the level at which it should be understood and what it takes to make it work.

It appears that there are programmers and consultants who have been concentrating on major markets and have lost track of what really makes radio work...and that's the small broadcaster. It's the people who use their creativity, who value their communities and the people who live there, who understand the support for a station that provides them with what they want, rather than what someone off in another part of the country wants them to have.

While there are some great names in radio to remember from days gone by, in programming and on-air, today's heros in the radio biz are the small market operators who still know what the business is all about and who it's for.

The radio business isn't always easy, but's it's something that most of us in it enjoy or we'd be somewhere else making more money than we do. I have come up against so many obstacles in the past few years as a radio station owner/operator that many have asked me how I could have continued to stay at it. I told them, "What...and give up show business?" Just kidding!!! I told them, "There are no problems in this business...just challenges looking for creative solutions."

I think all small and some medium market broadcasters understand what I mean.

Amen! Radio Man!

Until the majors realize this, radio will continue to fall.

SUPERCASTER said:

Some interesting random thoughts on the business by Bob Lefsetz from his Lefsetz Letter. Although most of what he says is not new to those of us who read the Radio-Info site it's nice to see it voiced by an impartial source.

What he said about terrestrial radio was interesting and applies particularly to corporate radio:

"Talk is holding on. Music is dying.
It's just not happening on terrestrial. They're programming for an audience that doesn't exist. In an era of personalization, of media speaking to you, terrestrial is broadcasting to a theoretical person research says exists, but doesn't. People will listen to music handpicked by human beings, but will it be on FM? Highly doubtful..."

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/121806/index.asp

db

dbdigital said:
SUPERCASTER said:

Some interesting random thoughts on the business by Bob Lefsetz from his Lefsetz Letter. Although most of what he says is not new to those of us who read the Radio-Info site it's nice to see it voiced by an impartial source.

What he said about terrestrial radio was interesting and applies particularly to corporate radio:

"Talk is holding on. Music is dying.
It's just not happening on terrestrial. They're programming for an audience that doesn't exist. In an era of personalization, of media speaking to you, terrestrial is broadcasting to a theoretical person research says exists, but doesn't. People will listen to music handpicked by human beings, but will it be on FM? Highly doubtful..."

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/121806/index.asp

db

At least someone out there is addressing this issue with some common sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom