• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Restoring the Faith

I just got an advance of the new Jeff Kashiwa CD, Play. This is what smooth jazz is supposed to sound like. I think over the years we have been hyped on so much stuff that is designed to fit BA's specifications and is unobtrusive and generic that we have begun to settle for less and be thrilled when anyhing comes out that steps a little bit out of bounds or has more than two strong songs. This will remind you of what it can and should sound like and when you hear that it makes it hard to lower the bar and settle for less.

It would have been airplay friendly 10 years ago but there are no covers, standards, movie/show tunes or pop vocals on it and the label, Native Language, is not in the loop as far as politics with the format powerbrokers so I would be hopeful but very surprised if this got significant airplay, enough to make listeners aware that it existed. It's like the people who discover this music at live gigs..we get them hooked on what it sounds like live or on a CD like this one then they turn on their radio and hear a soprano sax version of "You're Beautiful". Pendulums swing both ways...hope this one swings back soon. Before we start hearing Neil Diamond and Bread on SJ stations.

Another Cat; you described the aura of this CD so well I can almost hear it. I feel the same about my latest purchases---"Sweet Surrender" by Chieli Minucci & Special EFX with "Mystical" (it's on the radio) and "Play With Me" as strong cuts. Got the new Chuck Loeb. "Good To Go" is nice but "Window Of The Soul" has a nice Paul Brown "Rhythm Method" sound (which is nothing bad) and my favorite "The Music Outside" which would've sold me the CD had I heard it on the radio first. I bought it because of Loeb's track record.

Also bought Ken Navarro's "The Meeting Place" with a track on it called "Did Your Hear That?" which sounds like it marries smooth jazz with 70s fusion. An awesome track! I've had Andre Ward's "Crystal City " for awhile and the single "Andre's Theme" is cool. But the one that really moves me with rhythm and melody (and I feel it's got to be the next single) is the tune "Chicago (Here We Go)".

Thanks for getting me excited writing about the music again, which we used to do on this board. I hope these tracks are a sign of what could be like you said. I listened to these all weekend along with some of my old favorites of the 70s 80s and 90s and created a "dream" station in my house and backyard. Several guests over the weekend are making purchases based on what they heard. Can you believe it? I spent my own money on music, exposed it to people and they're going out to buy it! Only if that could happen on the air, the industry would probably rethink the royalty rate thing. Well, maybe not, but they'd be glad to know someone's selling their music for them by playing the best selections of their work because they themselves love it!

Remember in R&R and Billboard when the SJ programmers used to talk about all the new music out and their favorite tracks? It's been in the 2000s as I recall. Also there were a handful of stations with Sunday morning or Sunday night shows that exposed the very music from new releases like we're discussing today. By 2003-4 it was all gone. That's when I knew something bad was about to happen.

Thanks and I will be looking out for Jeff Kashiwa when it comes out in the near future. I will purchase it based on your comments today. And THAT my friend, is what real music-sharing is all about!

"<<Good To Go" is nice but "Window Of The Soul" has a nice Paul Brown "Rhythm Method" sound (which is nothing bad)>>
Acoustic Alchemy's new one is quite stunning too. Their most aggressive and diverse since "Against The Grain". Lots of new sound territory covered here.
The first time I heard "Rhythm Method" i kept waiting for the song to start, and it never did. Like an intro with no song attached.
The instrumentals on Paul Taylor's new one are excellent. Actually the "single" is the weakest of all the instrumental trax on the CD. It ain't bad but it's not as good as the others.
"The Challenge" was my favorite on Navarro's Cd.
New Hiroshima is excellent. They finally quit trying to be an R&B group. Guess they realized they weren't going to get airplay regardless so they might as sound like themselves. I think a lot of artists are doing that. SJ Network is only going to play about two currents. If you're not Boney or Peter they aren't going to be yours so play for your audience instead.
Euge Groove's new one has some bright moments too. He seems to be able to stay in the good graces of the radio powers that be without resorting to sappiness or inane riffing.
What I love about Kashiwa's CD is that there is not a single throwaway track on it.

Hey, 'Cat! I heard Jeff Kashiwa's "Forever" over the weekend. Guess that means the CD is out. I'l make sure to look out for it. Thanks for the review. The song sounded nice and funky so I am excited about the rest of it since what I heard on the radio is actually interesting along with your heads up on it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom