• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Remembering oldies station KMGG-FM in Somoma county, CA

I just randomly thought of KMGG-FM out of Santa Rosa, CA. They were a great oldies station that I listened to circa 1996-1998. They played a great variety of 50's, 60's and 70's. John Mack Flanagan did the morning show. They had another DJ that I liked and his name was Terry __________. I don't remember his last name. I left Sonoma county in 1998, and I think the oldies format continued until about 2005/2006. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. A few songs they played in heavy rotation were: Baby Don't Go, It Hurt's to be in Love, Handyman, and Don't Pull Your Love. Mike

John Mack Flanagan at his peak was with KFRC. Is the person Terry McGovern?

John Mack Flanagan at his peak was with KFRC. Is the person Terry McGovern?

No, not Terry Mcgovern. But good try.

I wonder if an oldies format will ever return back on the San Francisco radio dial...
Market likely too geographically big to support one. One can survive on local direct in a centralized and more "circular" market like Kansas City or Grand Rapids or the like that have single or few location businesses that can pull from the whole area. Oldies will never work in a market where there are mostly multiple-location businesses or chains that use agencies as those shops don't buy 55 and over.

Oldies will also work better in markets that have more limited ethnic populations that have different tastes in their older music styles and artists. Look for Fargo, not Fresno.

KMGG in Santa Rosa was John Mack Flanagan's last daily radio gig. He retired from broadcasting after that (1999), was lured back in for a Sunday morning Beatles special on the 2007-2008 revival of KFRC at 106.9 and that was that.

Candi Chamberlain was PD at KMGG a year or so later, mikecoraro. If you can track her down (I believe she's out of the business, but lives in Marin), she might remember Terry.

I worked for Amaturo while John Mack Flanagan was at KMGG. IIRC he wound up there after KFRC changed format and commuted daily to Santa Rosa from his home in Colma, a 2 hour drive each way. Eventually the commute got to be too much so he quit and after 9/11 became a screener at the new TSA passenger checkpoint at San Francisco International Airport, which was only a few minutes from his home. He probably made more money there than what he was getting at KMGG.

A few months after that I took a flight out of SFO. This was before the body scanners and a screener would pat you down before letting you proceed to the gate. JMF was the agent who did my pat-down and I wasn't sure if I should say hi to him or not. He didn't give any sign of recognizing me, so I stayed quiet.

They had another DJ that I liked and his name was Terry __________. I don't remember his last name.
The only Terry I remember from the Amaturo days was Frank Terry from KNEW doing mornings on Froggy 92.9 country. Another veteran talent commuting from the Bay Area and working for peanuts to stay in the game.

Last edited:
KMGG in Santa Rosa was John Mack Flanagan's last daily radio gig. He retired from broadcasting after that (1999), was lured back in for a Sunday morning Beatles special on the 2007-2008 revival of KFRC at 106.9 and that was that.
I drove John Mac from Phoenix to LA where we went to one of the radio program conventions together... and he had an appointment to meet with the RKO folks. He got the job, and left AZ.

He'd been with KRUX, but between the signal and the ownership, they could not compete with KRIZ and KUPD, particularly since KUPD had just "enhanced" the FM and was simulcasting from "the broken down trailer in Tempe".

On the trip, he mentioned some of his Vietnam experiences. I gather he was a decorated, legitimate hero. He was also a very nice person.

I drove John Mac from Phoenix to LA where we went to one of the radio program conventions together... and he had an appointment to meet with the RKO folks. He got the job, and left AZ.

He'd been with KRUX, but between the signal and the ownership, they could not compete with KRIZ and KUPD, particularly since KUPD had just "enhanced" the FM and was simulcasting from "the broken down trailer in Tempe".

On the trip, he mentioned some of his Vietnam experiences. I gather he was a decorated, legitimate hero. He was also a very nice person.
David, JMF wrote a book a few years before his death, which is pretty much a 50/50 mix of Vietnam and radio experiences:

Don't let the four and a half star rating fool you---John deeply, desperately needed an editor for this. But he had friends and they gave it great reviews.

Ignore the typos, contradictions and mis-rememberances of stuff that's public record, and read the Vietnam chapters first and the radio chapters second and there's some good stuff there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom