• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reggaton (Latin Urban) Music Format

Has the Latin Urban music almost died off? I remember back in 2004 that the reggaton music taking off like crazy. Now only a few radio stations are playing Reggaton music or all reggaton music.

Look what happened to La Kalle in New York, Chicago, Dallas, Fresno, and Houston. Also what happened to Clear channel Latin Urban format?

Reggaetón has slowed down, but it remains present in the mix of most Spanish Contemporary stations. An all-Reggaetón format seems unlikely to work now as the old KLOL Houston of 2004, but there are a lot of major market stations playing quite a bit of this music.
Most of the biggest Reggaetón hits now sound more like a pop song, with romantic lyrics; not much of that street sound of how it all started is played.

I would say that few stations even in the "hay day" of the genre went all reggaeton. Reggaeton has typically been a flavor and not a full format. Where I live in Mexico, the genre has apparently picked up a lot of strong adherents in their teens and twenties. You go down the street and hear more cars playing Wisin and Yandel than you do banda and duranguense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom