• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Really worried about this format

M

Mid West Clubber

I see alot of stations flipping and not many coming in.. I love this format so much and it has so much potential if people would just use it.. What can we do to save this format besides nothing.

I agree. Especially knowing that CC pretty much owned half of the nations' rhythmic ACs (and the best ones too) and have killed them off :'(

It is sad. What Rhythmic AC's are still around that haven't tweaked or changed? 93.9 Kiss FM / WKSL in Raleigh is still pretty good. CC's were so much better than the MOViN's.

WMIA and WDTW look to be next, especially WMIA now, and the ratings at WDTW are not good. I guess it's an enjoy it while it lasts thing now.

WDTW will at least probably flip to more Dance,, which is better than another CHR, Hot AC or Rhythmic station,,

Mid West Clubber said:
WDTW will at least probably flip to more Dance,, which is better than another CHR, Hot AC or Rhythmic station,,

This is an interesting thought. WDTW has recently shifted from Rhythmic AC to Rhythmic CHR. On what basis do you think they will go toward more Dance? And what kind of dance music are you specifically referring to?

Trumper Communications Rhythmic AC/Top 40 KMVA, MOViN 97.5 Phoenix just flipped to 24/7 Christmas music last week...Does this signal a format change?? Dropping the MOViN name? Stunt?? They have been playing Christmas music with no jocks, just the sydnicated "Elvis Duran Morning Show" is still airing.

new_friends_gr said:
Mid West Clubber said:

This is an interesting thought. WDTW has recently shifted from Rhythmic AC to Rhythmic CHR. On what basis do you think they will go toward more Dance? And what kind of dance music are you specifically referring to?

Well, probably more of the Rhythmic Pop-Dance type variety, since Detroit is a Dance town. However, if WDTW does go the Dance route, it could free up WKQI to start adding more mainstream Pop tracks so they can keep rival WDZH and Adult Top 40 WDVD from overtaking them ratings wise. Plus WDTW's ratings has improved slightly since the shift, albeit not impressive.

azradiofan said:
Trumper Communications Rhythmic AC/Top 40 KMVA, MOViN 97.5 Phoenix just flipped to 24/7 Christmas music last week...Does this signal a format change?? Dropping the MOViN name? Stunt?? They have been playing Christmas music with no jocks, just the sydnicated "Elvis Duran Morning Show" is still airing.
According to the Phoenix board, they've dropped the "MOViN" name.

Usually when the jocks go....the station will go shortly after.

only1moore said:
Detroit is a Dance town.

This is not the first time I've heard someone say this. How did Detroit get this reputation?

only1moore said:
However, if WDTW does go the Dance route, it could free up WKQI to start adding more mainstream Pop tracks so they can keep rival WDZH and Adult Top 40 WDVD from overtaking them ratings wise.

I've thought WDVD was more a Hot AC station rather than Adult Top 40. What exactly constitutes an "Adult Top 40" station? Would that be some kind of hybrid of Hot AC and CHR?

new_friends_gr said:
only1moore said:
Detroit is a Dance town.
This is not the first time I've heard someone say this. How did Detroit get this reputation?

Try going back to the 1980s, when artists like Derrick May, Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson brought the Detroit Techno sound into the mainstream. Plus every year they hold the Detroit Electronic Music Festival in that city.

new_friends_gr said:
only1moore said:
However, if WDTW does go the Dance route, it could free up WKQI to start adding more mainstream Pop tracks so they can keep rival WDZH and Adult Top 40 WDVD from overtaking them ratings wise.

I've thought WDVD was more a Hot AC station rather than Adult Top 40. What exactly constitutes an "Adult Top 40" station? Would that be some kind of hybrid of Hot AC and CHR?

Judging from WDVD's playlist, they seem to be trending towards Top 40 sans Hip-Hop and its paying off for them. Plus they been talking about how WDVD have been acting more CHR-ish lately over at the Detroit board.

new_friends_gr said:

I view Hot AC and Adult CHR as the same format with two names, kind of like the notes, A sharp and B flat.

AM FM listener said:
new_friends_gr said:

I view Hot AC and Adult CHR as the same format with two names, kind of like the notes, A sharp and B flat.

I've started to realize that there are two versions of the Hot AC format out there: 1) the "true" Hot AC format which comprises a balanced variety of modern AC/alternative-ish AC/pop music from mostly the '90s and '00s (with a little bit of '80s and '10s pop music thrown in), and 2) a version of CHR (mostly current music) that does not include rap ... for instance, the non-Snoop Dogg version of Katy Perry's "California Gurls" and the non-Pitbull version of Usher's "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love". To me, "Adult CHR" is really a better descriptor of the second version of Hot AC. The first version of Hot AC seems to be quite rare in my opinion.

new_friends_gr said:
AM FM listener said:
new_friends_gr said:

I've started to realize that there are two versions of the Hot AC format out there: 1) the "true" Hot AC format which comprises a balanced variety of modern AC/alternative-ish AC/pop music from mostly the '90s and '00s (with a little bit of '80s and '10s pop music thrown in), and 2) a version of CHR (mostly current music) that does not include rap ... for instance, the non-Snoop Dogg version of Katy Perry's "California Gurls" and the non-Pitbull version of Usher's "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love". To me, "Adult CHR" is really a better descriptor of the second version of Hot AC. The first version of Hot AC seems to be quite rare in my opinion.
The perfect example is in Bay Area radio, Alice 97.3 is hot AC 1 and Star 101.3 and Mix 106.5 in San Jose is Hot AC 2, and BTW I despise Hot AC stations, the state of Bay Area radio is the reason why

Two that I know of are Jammin 99.9 in Wilmington, NC and Movin 94.5 Myrtle Beach, SC. Both play the older rhythmic songs. I don't care to much about this format. Its not as popular as regular AC or Hot AC.

Detroit is a Dance town.

If someone is constantly shooting at you, that may make you want to 'dance' out of the way of gunfire.

My parents lived in Detroit in the early '50s, and they told stories of sticking their heads out the window whenever they heard gunfire. I guess that unless they had TV, that was their only entertainment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom