• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ratings Ramblings

They actually would sell it without the other properties, but what they think it is worth is insanely off the charts. It's worth less than $10M. They think it's worth closer to what Crums paid for one of their NYC FMs...if not even a bit more. Heritage is one thing. Reality is another. Between Crums and Gaylord, they have not made the right moves to keep it relevant or to warrant their asking price. Who even listens to FM radio at night, or at least so the marketers say... much less AM radio?

With Mix riding so high in the ratings, I'm surprised no one is maybe willing to give Hot AC another try (or even mainstream AC to compete head on). If I was Cromwell, I think I woulda stuck with that on 102.5 over sports (way too many sports stations & news/talk stations in the market it would seem to me.). Or maybe Cumulus should think about concentrating their country efforts all on one station (maybe bring their Nash branding into it's home base on 103.3), and then do some form of AC on 95.5 maybe. Just a thought.

BRH said:
Or maybe Cumulus should think about concentrating their country efforts all on one station (maybe bring their Nash branding into it's home base on 103.3), and then do some form of AC on 95.5 maybe. Just a thought.

So you suggest blowing up one of two successful country stations in other to take a chance at AC? I imagine they looked at the revenues of the two country stations and asked "If it ain't broke, why change it?" Focusing all country on one station means giving up the revenues of the other. Why would they do that?

Yeah, the cost of filling a new half-full cup by all of the start-up costs with a format flip and still getting a 5-6 share vs. having a 5-6 share as the current format has is a virtual wash. And if the shares were lower than the current format, yikes.... Still, some of the old diehards love and loved the battles and wars of yesterdecades.

Tibbs2 said:
Still, some of the old diehards love and loved the battles and wars of yesterdecades.

You don't think there's a war going on between CC and Cumulus in the country format? Really?

BRH said:
If I was Cromwell, I think I woulda stuck with that on 102.5 over sports (way too many sports stations & news/talk stations in the market it would seem to me.).
Would like to have hot AC on a frequency owned by a company actually committed to giving it a chance here in Nashville. And Cromwell ain't it. Also would need a citywide signal in order to avoid the complaints of weak signals that always seem to follow discussions of Cromwell-owned stations. ::) Cromwell has had hot AC twice, and dropped it twice. And 102.5 is not a citywide signal.

BigA - I meant the war of launching a new format. Specifically taking on WJXA. To try to unseat that is an entirely different ball game than fighting for two shares in a country three-legged race. And while I think the country race is indeed somewhat interesting, I would call it a slightly above average conventional battle. Why is there no NASH-FM mega promotion to compete with WSIX?

Firepoint - I would love to be the fly on the wall at Cromwell after getting two huge names(Plaster and Ramsey) and spending an absolute fortune on promotions (like $250k in billboards alone) to see how you save yourself from this potential disaster. I don't think I could have expected such a weak performance. Heck, the Party did better on auto pilot and had virtually no overhead.
What is the chance of this ship sinking???

Tibbs2 said:
Why is there no NASH-FM mega promotion to compete with WSIX?

When Blair Garner starts his morning show on 2nd Avenue, you'll see the battle royal.

If anyone knows and respects the Gerry House playbook, it's Blair.

He won't be Gerry, obviously. That was a radio relationship that cannot be copied or recreated, especially after PPM, but your point is valid.

I will agree that the chance for a true war might be on the horizon. Until then, I am sticking with my belief that the country battle in Nashville has been pretty innocent and fairly boring for way too many months. WSIX fired the first shot. Crums is playing for a bigger, bigger market. Will this morning show play well in NYC? Or even Nashville? We certainly shall see. IF Crums doesn't micromanage/screw this into the pit of ratings hell, etc., it could get interesting. And, it might be a time to flip their second country signal after things settle down. Whether that happens? I would suggest less than 10% at this juncture.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom