• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rant alert. I've had it with digital!

I don't know where to post this, so admins do what you want with it.

I'm sick of trying to listen (or watch) something on moblie apps and the continuous buffering with supposedly weak cell signals in the middle of town. Go inside somewhere? Forget it. 4th down and goal with the game on the line and poof.
Over the air TV not much better. Towers for our major stations are 30-40 miles away from the city of license.
Thanks, I'll tend to my lawn now, then go find a portable radio somewhere. :)

Are you on AT&T network for cell phone service? I am, and in the rolling hills of the Bay Area, AT&T has a lot of "dead" areas where their towers don't provide very good coverage at all. I know how annoying it is to be listening or watching something, which suddenly goes to seemingly endless buffering.
I will own a portable radio, as long as they are still manufactured. I showed my radio to my grandkids, who told me "That is cringe, Nana. Everybody listens "on the app."
They really don't have any idea how to tune a portable radio.

I'm sick of trying to listen (or watch) something on moblie apps and the continuous buffering with supposedly weak cell signals in the middle of town. Go inside somewhere? Forget it. 4th down and goal with the game on the line and poof.
Over the air TV not much better. Towers for our major stations are 30-40 miles away from the city of license.

Try living where i do.

Our cell network is 2G... .. dialup is faster then our mobile broadband.. our mobile broadband is so slow, it essentially doesnt ewxist, @ThePowerCow

Are you on AT&T network for cell phone service? I am, and in the rolling hills of the Bay Area, AT&T has a lot of "dead" areas where their towers don't provide very good coverage at all. I know how annoying it is to be listening or watching something, which suddenly goes to seemingly endless buffering.
I will own a portable radio, as long as they are still manufactured. I showed my radio to my grandkids, who told me "That is cringe, Nana. Everybody listens "on the app."
The largest network, begans with a V.

I have switched between all four major networks (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile) in my lifetime, and the "V-word" does have seeming blind spots in their coverage. Any carrier will have dropouts but it's not as commonplace with my current situation. I reccomend using the FCC's tool for cell coverage (ArcGIS Web Application ) to help determine if there is a weak spot in your area, or downloading the Open Signal app for even more precise data. Consider buying a $30-50 cell enhancer that you can stick in a strong signal area of your house, and boost it all the way around your home.
--
As for the TV, it sucks that your nearest service is 30 miles away, but atsc 3.0 should make it easier, as we know 1.0 is a mess.
---
Portable radio is simply awesome for listening to stuff like ball games!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom