• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio

O

ozzyfozzy

Radio is becoming crappy these days. Tony Renda better becarful, or he might step in to some bad crap. Consuiltants are worthless the PDs have more power in their brains than consuiltiants do, and PDs know what they are doing. If Tony Renda starts suing people who left Renda, well Tony is going to sued back. Hey how's the Bob And Tom moring show going? LOL! I had started radio since 1998, and it still was crappy back then, why can't be radio be like in the old day's like the 80's? Hell man maybe all radio stations should play 60' 70' and 80's music, and let the younger ones listen to 90' and todays on internet radio. Well I hope this says it all.

I don't know what to say to you other than, I agree. Big, corporate radio sux. (As in one corporate entity owning half of the stations on the dial)

It seems that we, who want to listen to real music have to resort to the Internet, MP3's and that sort of thing.

I am so tired of "oldies" (and I think you know who I'm talking about, as in "they put me in a cOMA" :) stations sticking to short, tight, redundant playlists. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they stick to only "safe" songs. How about a section on their website where folks could suggest songs they would like to hear on the radio, if the request is significant, put it in the mix. Cater to the needs of your local listening audience, instead of running them away, with repetition that drives them to the point of insanity. Oops, I forgot, that’s not how big corporate radio works I guess.

> Radio is becoming crappy these days. Tony Renda better
> becarful, or he might step in to some bad crap. Consuiltants
> are worthless the PDs have more power in their brains than
> consuiltiants do, and PDs know what they are doing. If Tony
> Renda starts suing people who left Renda, well Tony is going
> to sued back. Hey how's the Bob And Tom moring show going?
> LOL! I had started radio since 1998, and it still was crappy
> back then, why can't be radio be like in the old day's like
> the 80's? Hell man maybe all radio stations should play 60'
> 70' and 80's music, and let the younger ones listen to 90'
> and todays on internet radio. Well I hope this says it all.
>

Its funny to me that when you post its about Tony Renda. Must be a former employee!!!<P ID="signature">______________
--THE_Consultant----</P>

I may have mentioned this before; but The_1 is new, so I'll mention it again. Believe it or not, Larry Grant does play requests on Magic's lunchtime flashback. Admittedly, the vast majority of the show is the usual "short, tight, redundant" rotations from the rest of the station's day; but every once in awhile, there's a "did I really just hear that on the radio?". Not enough to make any of us happy, but welcome nevertheless. Being a fellow Rendite, you'd think KOMA could do something similar...other than having separate PDs, I'm not sure why they don't. You've voiced the key, though; just have one slot an hour for something off the tight playlist, and you'll fool the audience into thinking the whole wide musical world is at their feet. And do it now, before Jack or (the real) Bob come to town and do it for you.

> Radio is becoming crappy these days. Tony Renda better
> becarful, or he might step in to some bad crap. Consuiltants
> are worthless the PDs have more power in their brains than
> consuiltiants do, and PDs know what they are doing. If Tony
> Renda starts suing people who left Renda, well Tony is going
> to sued back. Hey how's the Bob And Tom moring show going?
> LOL! I had started radio since 1998, and it still was crappy
> back then, why can't be radio be like in the old day's like
> the 80's? Hell man maybe all radio stations should play 60'
> 70' and 80's music, and let the younger ones listen to 90'
> and todays on internet radio. Well I hope this says it all.
>

No offense, but I had to chuckle to myself about your nostalgic memories of the 80's. I guess it all depends on your point of view, and since I started in the 70's my memories of the 80's are a bit more jaundiced. About 1984 I started noticing the movement of radio from being an "art" to merely an entertainment service. Sort of like a pipeline dribbling out the same lukewarm gush of sound with no spark or surprise in it whatsoever. When I started out, every day was a new show, with a big dose of creative content that came straight out of my twisted little mind, stacks and stacks of 45's to keep the sound fresh and up beat, and spur of the moment commercials played on 2 1/2" reels. Now I cringe when I hear kids referring to their "shifts." I can see where they might get the impression that it's just their turn to run this big machine for a while, stifling any thoughts of showmanship. I don't guess I have that much of a point, it's just good to let off some of the steam before the top blows off the pot. I just find it ironic that the moment we got programming "down to a science" we stopped experimenting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom