• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Syndication Question

T

timetraxradio

Looking for constructive criticism on how to get my radio show syndicated. I got some things that I’m working on, but any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Check it out at www.timetraxradio.com my email [email protected] Thanks!

In an era where broadcasting companies are desperate to keep what dwindling audience they can, they are cutting costs and firing bodies. The only way to have any success in syndication is to find a national sponsor and offer the show for barter to radio stations. The catch is that you will only get a national sponsor with a track record of success. Finally, you need to have a show that attracts desirable age demographics. If you try to sell a radio station a syndicated show for any cash, you will fail. It has to be barter only.

Two ways of doing it according to most syndicators I've talked to. Either get it on "X" number of stations to create a story that you can take back to the syndicators and prove you've got the goods before they waste their time. Or cough up a ton of money and pay them to get it out there for you. I've been quoted anywhere from $1,500 a month to $75,000 a year, depending on the organization. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I'm getting ready to spam all the powers that be in the U.S. and abroad... I plan to offer the show for free, get it on the stations, and I'm soliciting English speaking stations worldwide. I have more than 100 gigs of FTP space. After it's on the stations I'm going to work on finding sponsors. I'm pretty much a one man band operation so the overhead is basically nothing.

Besides the distribution, I'm also curious what you think of the show's sound, formatting, website, marketing, anything you think I should add/ remove, etc.....

Again, thank you for the help!!

Gary

In the 80's and before the internet I produced the 3 hour weekly Great American Sports Trivia Show w/Zip Rzeppa, and we sydicated it to 100 stations, nationwide LIVE by satellite on Saturday morning.

We BOUGHT time in the top 10 markets, to get good coverage and great stations. That was the ONLY way into NY and LA. It worked. Doing this impressed the lower market radio stations and got out national spots into the top 10 markets. It was free (barter) to the rest. We also traded for lots of really good prizes. We gave away 2 thousand dollars a week. We had 3 national sponsors.

We had a staff of 3. One guy sold advertising, I did the station relations and produced the broadcast on KMOX (fed by satellite across the country) and the host.

It was LOTS of work, but lots of fun. It lasted a year. Wow, did I learn
alot. Mad a few bucks on the deal, too, and it really looks impressive on my resume.

If you want to talk, my e-mail address is [email protected]
Best Wishes
Tom

I have years of syndicated radio in my background and I'll be completely and totally honest with you.

There's very little chance your show will be syndicated.

It's extremely hard and very expensive to syndicated. The idea behind syndication is to offer the very best talent available, talent that they can't get in Missoula or New Haven. So you're going up against the absolute best talent and a handful of large syndicators. So what do you bring to the table that's so unique? How do you plan on delivering the show? Do you have a format? A clock?

If I were starting this today, I might put the show online. It's free and allows potential customers to check it out. Treat it like a real b'cast and it gives you practice and confidence.

I know I seem negative. I think I'm honest. I would be pleased to be proven wrong so go at it - and don't give up.

Gary, first, I had a long career as an air talent and PD, and have found two syndication deals for a one-hour weekend show.

You're approaching this the way many content producers do, giving life to an idea you like, then looking for a market. This is very exciting for the producer, but backwards. How much research did you put into finding a hole in the market? What can your show do for my station that I can't do in-house? If you're asking me to give up 6 minutes an hour of avails in a decent weekend daypart, how do I convince my GM that your show is worth taking those avails out of inventory?

Unless you're Ryan Seacrest or Rick Dees, you'll need to have documented success in a rated market somewhere before you'll be taken seriously. Your career so far has been geographically limited, so few people will know you. If you're going to call yourself a "major market" talent, don't bury your name a level down in the menus on the "crew" page. That's like sweating while you bluff!

If your own station isn't clearing the show, it looks suspect. You might have to work at it for a year or two without revenue to air it in a market that won't compete with your boss, and wait for a ratings story to develop, if your own station isn't interested.

As I'm sure you'll know, if it DOES air first on the station at which you're currently employed, they'll take it from you in court.

By the way, it's not "FREE!" if it's provided to stations on barter.

The demo is tight and bright, but I hear more focus on tight production than on having fun. You need both.

Paul -

It's been awhile since this thread was active but I returned to listen to the demo.

I agree with your fine, accurate post. There really is nothing all that different or compelling here. I know it's tough for a talent to hear this. This stuff sounds more like a smaller market 7-mid jock at some kind of uptempo AC. Certainly nothing that stands out.

But that's not to say there's no talent. I hear a young-sounding, upbeat guy who is obviously invested in what he's doing and that alone has value.

I say keep tweaking and trying but this is nowhere near ready to start swimming with sharks.

You might want someone to spell check your website, too.

"THINK VH1 WE ARE THE 80'S, 90'S AND YET TO BE PRODUCTED 2000'S THAT IS..."

Just saying...

bob - well, there's the spelling thing, too ...

Look - the "show" seems like something we've all heard a million times. The demo could be an uptempo Oldies night jock but the web site screams LIKE NOTHING YOU'VE EVER HEARD BEFORE!

First - yes it is.

Secondly - as a PD, I don't want something LIKE NOTHING YOU'VE EVER HEARD BEFORE. I want a show to fit in with my format, maybe have a unique take but nothing thatr screams "It's Different!"

Third - Who syndicates two hour a week shows?

Fourth - In the state radio is in today ... good luck, bud.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom