• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio One Acquires Cox Houston

The 346 area code went into operation in 2014, so not really new. Houston is a rare example of four overlay area codes (713/281/832/346).

We might be getting a fifth area code in the next two or three years: Sorry, 713 Day: Houston's growth will lead to new area code

Of course the outer reaches of Houston metro also have 409, 936 and 979.
San Francisco got 628 about four years ago and it's slowly crept into use.

Denver now has 983 but I never see it anywhere - still everything is 303 or 720.

With cellphones and no real concept of "long distance" any more, every phone number is effectively a 10-digit number. Most radio call-in shows have toll-free numbers now, too. It's a long ways from the days when KMOX in St. Louis would tell the suburbs (including the one where I went to high school) to "dial the operator and ask for Enterprise 9808".

It's all way after my time in Houston, which was just after the 713-409 geographic split. If I recall correctly, neither Conroe nor Galveston (both 409) were in the main EAS zone at the time.

At that time, Galveston couldn't call anyone off the island locally. You could call California for 30 minutes cheaper than you could call Houston for 20 minutes during those days. Seems like a handful of Houston stations had toll free numbers, at least within Texas, though I don't remember how many. 1540 and 106.5 had to have toll free calls from Galveston, but they were about the only ones. I doubt 1540 got many calls from Galveston after KILE left the air.

Didn't realize the local calling area around Houston had ever changed, but I suppose it's not all that surprising. By the early 90's, you could call 100 miles away into a completely different state and time zone locally from Atlanta. Thinking about my nieces' generation, they wouldn't even understand paying for long distance calling. The oldest of my nieces turns 20 in about six months, and she has never paid for an individual phone call. She has family in Mexico on her dad's side, and she's seen the ads for cheap calling cards to Mexico in the Mexican grocery stores near her house. So, she has some idea that people still do it, but the concept is foreign to the point of being almost incomprehensible today to your average American her age. I worked for the phone company from 1997 to 2001 with a brief break in '99. We often talked about long distance being something that wouldn't be metered in the next 20 years and would just be included in your phone bill. We knew it would happen, but we didn't know it would happen about two years after I left. It was Spring 2003 when I first saw the ads for unlimited long distance starting at $54.95/month. There's a good chance phone numbers will be a thing of the past altogether in our lifetime.

Didn't realize the local calling area around Houston had ever changed, but I suppose it's not all that surprising. By the early 90's, you could call 100 miles away into a completely different state and time zone locally from Atlanta. Thinking about my nieces' generation, they wouldn't even understand paying for long distance calling. The oldest of my nieces turns 20 in about six months, and she has never paid for an individual phone call. She has family in Mexico on her dad's side, and she's seen the ads for cheap calling cards to Mexico in the Mexican grocery stores near her house. So, she has some idea that people still do it, but the concept is foreign to the point of being almost incomprehensible today to your average American her age. I worked for the phone company from 1997 to 2001 with a brief break in '99. We often talked about long distance being something that wouldn't be metered in the next 20 years and would just be included in your phone bill. We knew it would happen, but we didn't know it would happen about two years after I left. It was Spring 2003 when I first saw the ads for unlimited long distance starting at $54.95/month. There's a good chance phone numbers will be a thing of the past altogether in our lifetime.
A couple of months ago, I visited the Telephone Museum of New Mexico in downtown Albuquerque. Don't laugh; it takes up three floors. It's well worth a visit. A couple of data points:

1) There's a working Strowger switch on one floor, with phones you can use to call other phones connected to the switch. We saw a group of middle schoolers become quite befuddled with the concepts of a "dial tone" and a "busy signal". "What's that buzzing?"

2) The volunteers at the museum told us that even up-to-date phone equipment is rapidly being discarded. They are getting desperate calls from all over the country along the lines of, "can you take this off our hands; we don't want to just throw it away". At one time, the New Mexico museum had space for them, but no longer.

It was also fun looking at a couple of old phone directories from the early 1960s and seeing the old radio station call letters - KDEF, KARA, KVOD, etc.

They call them "Choke" lines/circuits for high volume users like radio stations once we're.
Dallas chokes were all 787-1xxx, both 214 and 817 AC...tried to get new ones in 2000 when CC took over 1190...Bell couldn't make it work...first line was on but if it was busy, next call would not roll to second line ...Bell worked on it for 3 months....we finally cancelled it and went with a normal metro number with 4 appearances with roll over..

It’s crazy how all this time North Louisiana (really half the state) has had the same 318 zip code for decades

Not that this has much to do with radio, but area codes were generally assigned with the idea of rotary phones and the number of people expected to dial those areas. That's why New York is 212, and Chicago is 312. Many of your higher numbered area codes, like 903 in East Texas, weren't assigned until after rotary phones largely became things of the past. When I worked at the phone company, we still sold a few rotary phones, usually for people who had party lines. Those were called "cycle phones" because each ring had to be distinct. I can't imagine party lines still exist today, but there might be a few areas of the country that are still dependent on old technology.

I kinda wish I'd saved my phone book from the second semester of my freshman year of college in 1994 when I was at the University of Arkansas. I had a friend who was on a party line well outside of town, and I always thought participating in radio contests would have been difficult for him. He had to dial the number he was calling plus "4104" (or some similar four digit code) and his party code. Then, he had to hang up the phone, and it would ring at his cycle when the other party picked up. I can't imagine a jock even waiting for him to pick the phone back up during a contest if getting through was even possible in the first place. Seems like, by the time I left Arkansas a couple years later, that antiquated system was retired.

I kinda wish I'd saved my phone book from the second semester of my freshman year of college in 1994 when I was at the University of Arkansas. I had a friend who was on a party line well outside of town, and I always thought participating in radio contests would have been difficult for him. He had to dial the number he was calling plus "4104" (or some similar four digit code) and his party code. Then, he had to hang up the phone, and it would ring at his cycle when the other party picked up. I can't imagine a jock even waiting for him to pick the phone back up during a contest if getting through was even possible in the first place. Seems like, by the time I left Arkansas a couple years later, that antiquated system was retired.
The party-line dialing code for the city where you live now was "119", by the way.

My aunt, who lived there from 1950 until she passed away in 1998, wanted a party-line phone because it was less expensive. As party lines gradually were reduced, she was moved from a four-party line to a two-party line. Finally, sometime in the 1990s, the phone company put her on a private line but still charged her the lower party-line tariff.

At KFRU, we had a second "rollover" line for the main number and a whole string of other numbers for various purposes. The newsroom line was listed but we had a second line that was unlisted because people had a tendency to call the listed newsroom number for their PSAs, "Pet Patrol" lost-pet items, etc. and we needed to have an outgoing line free. Even so, that main newsroom number was the one with a recorder connector - a/k/a "beeper". Even though "beepers" weren't required by then, we tended to get better audio quality from them compared to a direct connection to the phone line. There were different ringers for different lines - ours was a standard home doorbell! The bell for the listed studio line was the kind of bell used in schools.

Ironic, right? 97.1 in Cleveland was built to compliment the short comings of then KRTS 92.1. Here we are some 30 years later, and there's talk of them being divested together.

I'm going to throw a wild card in here. Urban One may just unload the Senior Road signal with either KROI or KTHT. I suspect there is another shoe to drop down there, and this might very well tie in with the rumblings of EMF entering the Houston market. They certainly have the money to purchase 93Q, and as evidenced by the sudden purchase of Star 102.5 in Buffalo, it doesn't matter if the station is currently successful and carrying a long entrenched format.

They certainly have the money to purchase 93Q, and as evidenced by the sudden purchase of Star 102.5 in Buffalo, it doesn't matter if the station is currently successful and carrying a long entrenched format.
Case in point: I never really was a big fan of KXXF Free FM, but even the retread classic rock format they were voice tracking was far superior to the current garbage spewing out of the station. Now I realize different strokes for different folks, and some may really like the "educational" programming they offer. But in the end, if all comes down to money, not serving the public interest, convenience and necessity. KTHT 97.1 Country Legends is yet another example.

The 346 area code went into operation in 2014, so not really new. Houston is a rare example of four overlay area codes (713/281/832/346).

We might be getting a fifth area code in the next two or three years: Sorry, 713 Day: Houston's growth will lead to new area code

Of course the outer reaches of Houston metro also have 409, 936 and 979.
And we now know that fifth area code: 621.

Yuck, glad I have an “OG” 713 cell number in addition to my 936 cell number for work. Fun fact, we still have 7-digit dialing up here in the 936 area code! …until it finally gets an overlay.

Going back to the Urban1-ization of the CMG properties, it looks like the stations once again have new studio phone numbers, this time in the 832 area code. 832-649-6715 for The Eagle, 6716 for KKBQ. Not as creative as before, but at least they’re in a little bit more familiar of an area code. I also think this is the most I’ve seen a radio station change numbers in such a short time, going from their old 390-5xxx choke lines to VoIP in 2016 or so, then to the briefly used 346 numbers, now the new 832 numbers. I’d be willing to bet that Urban1 were probably actually using Number Barn, or a similar service to forward those 346 numbers over to what are now their published numbers.

KKBQ also still sounds pretty awful, likely due to low bitrate, but the newly tweaked processing on KHPT is fantastic. Had it playing in the truck earlier and I can’t say I’ve ever heard broadcast radio sound this good on those speakers before.

Last edited:

It's a long way from the mid-80s, when you could often locate a phone number from just the first two digits.

Key Maps (are they still around?) published a wall map with the wire-code zones overlaid on top of their standard map of Houston streets.

Care to explain for us nonfurries here?
It's a guideline for personal hygiene. 6 hours of sleep, 2 meals and 1 shower each day.

Guess I overdo it. I'd feel pretty nasty about myself if I only took one shower a day, and nary a mention of teeth brushing?? Eww. 🤮

It's a guideline for personal hygiene. 6 hours of sleep, 2 meals and 1 shower each day.

Guess I overdo it. I'd feel pretty nasty about myself if I only took one shower a day, and nary a mention of teeth brushing?? Eww. 🤮
Yes, this is where the 621 thing comes from, particularly followed during furry conventions. And in a place where most of the people will be wearing fursuits, hygiene is extra important.

The notoriety comes from the website e621, a furry imageboard site whichn contains a lot of art that is NSFW.

It's a long way from the mid-80s, when you could often locate a phone number from just the first two digits.

Key Maps (are they still around?) published a wall map with the wire-code zones overlaid on top of their standard map of Houston streets.
I just realized that 621 is a long-standing prefix in the 713 area code, belonging to the "National" switch in the Greenway Plaza and nearby areas.

Back
Top Bottom