• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Netherlands to close English Service now, too.

K

kenglish

The bleeding continues............

"Dear Readers,
We're very sorry to inform you that the English service of Radio Netherlands Worldwide will be closing at the end of this month. As a result, this website will see some changes.".....

"The last radio show:
On 29 June we will broadcast a radio show looking back at the past decades of Radio Netherlands Worldwide. Have you got a memory to share? Please let us know, at the usual address, [email protected], or post a comment below this story, as many have already done. We'd love to hear from you."

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/were-changing

Canada...Vatican...now the Netherlands. Another nail in the non-ham shortwave coffin.

I always enjoyed RNW - in fact it was one of my favorites back in the day. But "the day" is done, and there is absolutely no need for shortwave broadcasting anymore, outside of parts of Africa and Asia. There are 20 Dutch stations available via TuneIn.com (OK, they're broadcasting in Dutch, not English, but still...).

It also looks like there is almost no further need for general-coverage shortwave receivers either. The ham & CB bands have about 90% of the activity on the frequencies between 1.7 and 30 MHz now.

KeithE4 said:
There are 20 Dutch stations available via TuneIn.com (OK, they're broadcasting in Dutch, not English, but still...).

Not exactly the same thing, but Dutch FM and MW (AM) stations are widely heard OTA in adjacent or nearby countries. The big MW stations are clearly audible in London and southeast England 24/7 via a partial saltwater path. Most of the music on the Dutch stations is familiar English language pop.

cyberdad said:
KeithE4 said:
There are 20 Dutch stations available via TuneIn.com (OK, they're broadcasting in Dutch, not English, but still...).

Not exactly the same thing, but Dutch FM and MW (AM) stations are widely heard OTA in adjacent or nearby countries. The big MW stations are clearly audible in London and southeast England 24/7 via a partial saltwater path. Most of the music on the Dutch stations is familiar English language pop.

I was looking on the main page for the Netherlands; each city has many more. There are probably a couple hundred Dutch stations available on TuneIn (I didn't count them all).

That sounds a little more like it. After reading your post, I was thinking that perhaps there'd been a mass exodus of Dutch stations from Tunein over the last couple of months!

There are also quite a few Dutch broadcasters on Shoutcast and V-Tuners.

Yes, I believe they are keeping all of their domestic services, but closing down all of the International services on shortwave and satellite.
They plan to replace them with an internet-based service for people in developing countries and places where freedom of speech is limited.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom