• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Insight: Audacy Launches 790 The Bet In Memphis

@sjs1959 I'd bet that WMFS would pick up the St. Louis Cardinals at least, since ESPN stations have been know to do that. KXSP will cut from ESPN for Cornhuskers games, KSTP does it for the Twins and Minnesota United FC, not to mention KSPN in LA does it all.
--
Another good question: Is this sports betting radio a fad that will roll through and disappear like Radio Disney on AM, or will it stick around? It's not like there is anything better to put on these stations, nowadays.

Last edited:
Not that I waste what little money I have gambling, but I'm surprised sports betting became legal in TN so quickly considering they've kept out other forms of gambling except the lottery.

Last edited:
Not that I waste what little money I have gambling, but I'm surprised sports betting became legal in TN so quickly considering they've kept out other forms of gambling except the lottery.
Tennessee, a red state, allowing betting? Surprising. I was shocked when Wyoming (of all places) opened up the lottery back in 2017, and legalized sports books this year, but I think these states are realizing the potential and the funding that these things provide.

Tennessee, a red state, allowing betting? Surprising. I was shocked when Wyoming (of all places) opened up the lottery back in 2017, and legalized sports books this year, but I think these states are realizing the potential and the funding that these things provide.
Our state government pretty much hoards all the tax money anyway, but it seems all the religious objections have evaporated.

Is sports betting legal yet in Tennessee, Arkansas or Mississippi, the states that WMFS's signal reaches?

Sports betting is legal in all three states. Mississippi passed a law legalizing it should the courts ever allow new states to offer sports betting long before any federal legal motion had happened, and it became legal the day after the Supreme Court struck down the law prohibiting its expansion.

Arkansas allows it, but I believe it's only at its licensed gambling facilities. As luck would have it, one is in West Memphis.

Tennessee allows sports gambling as well, but, from what I could tell, it seems to be done entirely online at the moment.

Audacy, however, doesn't seem to be looking at whether or not sports gambling is legal before launching gaming focused sports programming. It has launched that programming in Houston and Kansas City, and sports betting is not legal in Texas, Missouri, or Kansas at the present time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom