• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio 103.9 New York Cuts Remaining Local Programming

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/182196/radio-103-9-new-york-cuts-remaining-local-programming/

As Cumulus Media prepares to completely exit New York City following the sales of WABC, WNSH and WPLJ, its last remaining station in the market has cut its remaining local programming.

Outside of Reach Media’s Tom Joyner Morning Show and DL Hughley afternoon show, “Radio 103.9” WNBM Bronxville is now running Westwood One’s R&B “The Touch” network in all other dayparts. The move means the departure of midday host Sharon ‘La Loca’ Montero.

This is the last Cumulus outlet in New York.

What sort of programming would make sense for a potential buyer to broadcast on this station, given its limited signal? Its ratings as an urban A/C have been tiny.

What sort of programming would make sense for a potential buyer to broadcast on this station, given its limited signal? Its ratings as an urban A/C have been tiny.

Can't get ratings if no one can pick up the station. I went through NYC on an Amtrak train on my way from Connecticut to Philly in June and again in August and neither time could I pick up 103.9 FM on my Walkman. 103.5 KTU came in. Q-104.3 came in. There was no sign at all of 103.9 FM.

I went through NYC on an Amtrak train on my way from Connecticut to Philly

You went in the wrong direction. Had you traveled from Grand Central Station north to Mount Vernon or Yonkers, different story.

You were just south of the primary coverage.

Can't get ratings if no one can pick up the station. I went through NYC on an Amtrak train on my way from Connecticut to Philly in June and again in August and neither time could I pick up 103.9 FM on my Walkman. 103.5 KTU came in. Q-104.3 came in. There was no sign at all of 103.9 FM.

youre comparing apples to oranges signal wise

You went in the wrong direction. Had you traveled from Grand Central Station north to Mount Vernon or Yonkers, different story.

You were just south of the primary coverage.
Not necessarily the "wrong direction." Amtrak follows the New York, New Haven and Hartford ROW from Connecticut to New York, and passes through parts of New Rochelle and the Bronx in which Radio 103.9 should be audible from the train. Incidentally, Amtrak seldom uses Grand Central Terminal (not Station) these days.

Amtrak seldom uses Grand Central Terminal (not Station) these days.

Yes I'm aware of that. I was suggesting that the best train line for listening to WNBM would be Metro North.

Although I still question the reception capabilities of a Sony Walkman.

What sort of programming would make sense for a potential buyer to broadcast on this station, given its limited signal?
Rimshot and limited-signal stations should stay away from mainstream formats and go with anything that is not on the full signal stations.

Rimshot and limited-signal stations should stay away from mainstream formats and go with anything that is not on the full signal stations.

What format isn't being done on full signal stations, including the non-commercial ones?

I would recommend returning to the hyper-local format the station did prior to being bought by Cumulus. Focus on Westchester County.

What format isn't being done on full signal stations, including the non-commercial ones?

I would recommend returning to the hyper-local format the station did prior to being bought by Cumulus. Focus on Westchester County.

Although tried with limited success on 1190 WLIB, a Caribbean format doe fit the signal. There are issues, such as the fact that there is not total uniformity in Caribbean tastes, but something likely could be put together.

The question is whether there is any advertiser interest in reaching that community beyond the smaller local community owned businesses that likely can not pay decent rates.

WVIP 93.5, broadcasting from the same tower as WNBM, already provides programming aimed at the local Caribbean community. Rather than relying on ads from small local businesses, they lease their time. So most of their shows are essentially infomercials.
And of course there are several unlicensed stations with Caribbean programming that do run ads from shops in the northern Bronx and nearby Mount Vernon.
If WNBM does not get sold to a religious or ethnic broadcaster, perhaps the new owner could consider a Jack type (variety hits) format. When New York last had such a format, on 101.1 FM, it did quite well.

given the coverage area on WNBM the signal that best fits it is urban AC. I doubt they would move it back to Westchester since they'll get more listeners with a signal closer to the city.
I don't think that anyone that buys the station will consider it a city grade signal nor would they try and compete with them. What Cumulus did with the station is exactly what fits it.

Last edited:

Although tried with limited success on 1190 WLIB, a Caribbean format doe fit the signal. There are issues, such as the fact that there is not total uniformity in Caribbean tastes, but something likely could be put together.

The question is whether there is any advertiser interest in reaching that community beyond the smaller local community owned businesses that likely can not pay decent rates.

WVIP is a Caribbean formatted station and already covers that area well. They put out a much better signal over Manhattan proper as well. They run informercials from time to time but are quite heavy on music and Caribbean programming

WVIP is a Caribbean formatted station and already covers that area well. They put out a much better signal over Manhattan proper as well. They run informercials from time to time but are quite heavy on music and Caribbean programming

But WVIP is an all brokered station, with no "stationality". Nobody has done a consistent formatted West Indian station... and that is why the pirates who are at least consistent have popped up all over the area.

I believe the largest concentration of West Indian people in the area is in Brooklyn. And according to previous posters, WNBM's signal there is not good.
Are there enough English speaking people from the Caribbean in the Bronx, nearby Mt. Vernon, and Queens (if the signal is decent there) to support an FM station, given the existing competition from WVIP and the pirates? It seems highly unlikely that the unlicensed stations would shut down simply because an FM station switched to a Caribbean format.

I believe the largest concentration of West Indian people in the area is in Brooklyn. And according to previous posters, WNBM's signal there is not good.
Are there enough English speaking people from the Caribbean in the Bronx, nearby Mt. Vernon, and Queens (if the signal is decent there) to support an FM station, given the existing competition from WVIP and the pirates? It seems highly unlikely that the unlicensed stations would shut down simply because an FM station switched to a Caribbean format.

The signal in Brooklyn is far superior to Manhattan ironically (given the distance) which I'm sure has to do with the buildings in Manhattan. Signal tends to be good on east side, Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island. Terrible on westside of Manhattan but good in New Jersey and of course it the north of the city

The signal in Brooklyn is far superior to Manhattan ironically (given the distance) which I'm sure has to do with the buildings in Manhattan. Signal tends to be good on east side, Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island. Terrible on westside of Manhattan but good in New Jersey and of course it the north of the city
Reception is terrible on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom