• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Questions about preset in another processor

My question may be silly but I have questions. When we have a processor, we can put preset from another model? For example, we have a Orban 8300, and convert one preset from 8400 or 8500 so to be read by 8300, what will be the difference when it play? I repeat, of course there are differences but I want to understand exactly what is happening.

krokodilos said:
My question may be silly but I have questions. When we have a processor, we can put preset from another model? For example, we have a Orban 8300, and convert one preset from 8400 or 8500 so to be read by 8300, what will be the difference when it play? I repeat, of course there are differences but I want to understand exactly what is happening.

I have no experience with any of those boxes, but I would guess the 8400 and 8500 are not backwards compatible with the 8300. Usually it's the other way around.

R

The preset I have already converted. To say exactly what happens, I personally have a Orban 8382 to be tested presets from FM Orban processors.

Those parameters that are common between the model the preset was made with and the one you are using it on, will be applied, others will be discarded...

For example, those Orban models share the same AGC and EQ sections and those settings will be transferred. But possibly the MB and definitely the clipping systems are different, so those settings will not be applied. Or some parameters will, but since the underlying systems are different, they will produce different results (sound). Therefore the usability of such preset transfer is questionable... The preset was made to create a certain sound on the unit it was designed at. If you move it to a different unit with a different clipping system and possibly other different processing stages, you will not get the same result.

Regards,
Goran Tomas

Goran Tomas said:
Those parameters that are common between the model the preset was made with and the one you are using it on, will be applied, others will be discarded...
<SNIP> Therefore the usability of such preset transfer is questionable... The preset was made to create a certain sound on the unit it was designed at. If you move it to a different unit with a different clipping system and possibly other different processing stages, you will not get the same result.

Regards,
Goran Tomas

On the other hand, if both processors have a *factory* preset with the same name the manufacturer will have spent the time to make the new preset sound as similar as possible to the older one (generally better sounding, of course). The whole area of factory presets can be rather involved and represents a lot of work for the developer but certainly provides value to end users.

As many know, with modern DSP processors you really should start with a preset (e.g. one that you find close to what your goals are) and then modify it. If the station changes formats you may well be better starting from new preset versus trying to make major changes to your previous settings.

8400 presets work pretty well in an 8300. It has as much DSP as the 8400 did.

However, I feel your best sound is always getting close with a factory preset in your box, then using the PC Software to customize it. I usually do so on my laptop, listening to my primary radio.

When I get something I really like, I test it on a clock radio, a couple of other cars, & a Bose Wave Radio. I learned the hard way one time when I made a preset that sounded great on my primary, but low and hollow on cheaper radios. After that, I always do full testing.

I even go to Target and Wal-Mart and check it on the display units.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom