• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question for DJs/PD from a new label promoter

character111

Inactive
Inactive User
Hello - I just joined the board, and did a quick search but didn't find any specific answers to my question.

I have been working at an independent classic country and bluegrass label for several years. The person doing radio promotion recently left, and rather than hire someone else with experience, the team thought it would be best for someone already with the company to step into that role and learn the process. So I was chosen.

The guidelines that the previous promoter left were this: Don't send emails to stations. Call once or twice per week and send faxes in between calls.

Is this how you prefer to be contacted? To me, it seems like I could very quickly become a bother if I'm calling constantly. I'm dealing with classic country and bluegrass artists, and the broadcasters for these genres are typically given a weekly or bi-weekly show on a commercial country station or public station. I'm usually communicating with a DJ who is only available at the station for a few hours each week to prepare their show, rather than a PD or MD who handle these types of calls regularly.

I want to learn and get the job done right, in a way that is easy and convenient for each of you.

Thanks for any insight you can provide from your side.

Your best bet is to find out how individuals prefer to be contacted, and do that.

For example, as a Sunday morning host with a day job, I prefer email.

Most full time MDs/PDs will have a block of time every week set aside for calls from promoters. Take note of this, and do not call outside those times.

Fax is a waste of time. A great many faxes never get past the receptionist (or whoever's desk the fax machine is near)

Email works best for me as well.

I have an Internet country station with a strong classic country presence; however, I also now program a lot of the top 40 - and blend it together. It has definitely worked for us. I program
it just as if were a 100kw flamethrower FM.

One of the promoters I work with sends us an email, often with an mp3 (now that we have an established relationship) or download link. The subject line of the email is something like "Country radio: Blake Shelton's buzzing like a Honey Bee" (just made it up, but you get the idea.) I know it's from that promoter and that it's a song that she feels would fit. If it does, I let her know. I generally add songs on Fridays and publish our chart later that day for the previous week.

A couple of promoters call but most simply use email. Got rid of the fax machine years ago because nothing but junk seemed to come in on them

A lot of promoters use a combination of both....PT Board Op is correct, most of us have two hours or so a week set aside for calls from labels and promoters and normally talk to them only during that time. So you might want to send an email out asking what stations call times are and then take it from there.

character111 said:
Hello - I just joined the board, and did a quick search but didn't find any specific answers to my question.

I have been working at an independent classic country and bluegrass label for several years. The person doing radio promotion recently left, and rather than hire someone else with experience, the team thought it would be best for someone already with the company to step into that role and learn the process. So I was chosen.

The guidelines that the previous promoter left were this: Don't send emails to stations. Call once or twice per week and send faxes in between calls.

Is this how you prefer to be contacted? To me, it seems like I could very quickly become a bother if I'm calling constantly. I'm dealing with classic country and bluegrass artists, and the broadcasters for these genres are typically given a weekly or bi-weekly show on a commercial country station or public station. I'm usually communicating with a DJ who is only available at the station for a few hours each week to prepare their show, rather than a PD or MD who handle these types of calls regularly.

I want to learn and get the job done right, in a way that is easy and convenient for each of you.

Thanks for any insight you can provide from your side.

Welcome!

I started doing this in February, and it has been crazy. Things have changed since I was in radio. There was
an obligation for MD's (at least at my station which was a top 75 market reporter) to listen to everything that came in.
Your biggest challenge will be getting people to spend time with your song and actually listen to it. If you use
PlayMPE you can follow that stuff closely.

Music call times are not hard, but need to be followed. A lot of times especially in today's downsized radio
the person taking the calls could be hit with a production project, remote or other issue. Be prepared to
leave lots of voice mail and get very few calls returned. I know of one station just a few weeks ago that
gave up it's reporting status because the PD no longer had the time to deal with the calls. When you get
someone on the phone, be brief and let them move on to other things. If you call with a bunch of songs
to ask about you waste their time and make them very angry. I remember when I was a PD/MD taking a
call and an indie would be pushing every song under the stars. As a courtesy you stayed on the phone and
dealt with it. That won't work now and those still doing that are at risk of going to voice mail forever.

One thing that you will find helpful in your efforts is building an email list and subscribing to a service
and doing one bulk every 7 to 10 days. Good companies will be able to offer statistical data that
will help you in your marketing efforts.

I know this is probably more than what you wanted, but I thought I would share what I could to help
you out. PM me if you have any questions.

Chris
www.riverroad.co
www.youtube.com/user/officialriverroad

Please send me as much bluegrass and classic country as you wish. I much prefer email. Please PM me, and I'll gladly give you my email (along with my phone number-feel free to leave a voice mail!)

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the thought-out and detailed responses. Greg, I emailed you a few minutes ago. Thanks! I imagine I'll be posting again and being active on this forum when having something relevant to bring to the table.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom