• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question about Wave Files

I'm kind of confused. If you're asking if you can play them over and over without them degrading, no, they'll never wear out.

> Do Wav files wear out or are they like mp3's where they
> never wear out?
>

yes thats exactly what i meant. Thanks.
> I'm kind of confused. If you're asking if you can play them
> over and over without them degrading, no, they'll never wear
> out.
>
> > Do Wav files wear out or are they like mp3's where they
> > never wear out?
> >
>

Oh no you're wrong..WAV files can become "marked" or "run weary" as they call it in germany just like MP3's. They also have a tendency to "virtually warp" and become "grainy" or "mustardized" causing them to lose flavor, and dry out. Best to keep them in a humidor.

Seriously if the original poster meant "can a WAV file lose quality" It can if it is transferred via an analog system..i.e playing it through a console to another computer etc..if it stays in the systemm as a digital file it should be fine except for one thing.

hard drive are mechanical and they FAIL eventually..all of them do. It's only a matter of time..so save and backup and archive anything you really want to be sure you want.

also it is very plausable for (especially wav) files to become corrupted, which i have found to be pretty common with files that are constantly opened and saved... mp3's dont seem to corrupt as often though. once it's corrupted it's gone (as far as i know... if anyone knows different let me know)

And 16-bit wav files will lose quality if they have amplitude changes, (i.e. normalized to -6dB and then to -3dB) because of the integer-based nature of the bitdepth. This will also happen with any integer based bitdepth, including 24-bit. The only way around this is to use a 32-bit floating point system, like the one found in Audition and Sound Forge.

But it's nothing like a needle wearing out an LP.

> also it is very plausable for (especially wav) files to
> become corrupted, which i have found to be pretty common
> with files that are constantly opened and saved... mp3's
> dont seem to corrupt as often though. once it's corrupted
> it's gone (as far as i know... if anyone knows different let
> me know)
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom