• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Q104.3

Any chance Q104.3 WAXQ gets some competition in NYC ? The Top 1043 classic rock songs of all time was Great over Thanksgiving šŸ™ weekend. But now itā€™s back to the same songs over & over. WDHA sometimes sneaks in from the west but Iā€™d like another Rock Station šŸš‰ in the city to listen to

For me, the Q is the alternative commercial classic rock station with the big playlist. My local Hudson Valley station (The Tomb of Rock & Roll) has a much more Poughkeepsie oriented selection of songs.

I live in the Boston area but visit North-Central Jersey during Thanksgiving to visit the in-laws. I do enjoy the Q104.3 Top 1043 countdown but can't stand the super-long commercial breaks. Years ago, they'd keep it to about 10 minutes of spots per hour, but when I was listening this year they were pushing close to 20 minutes of spots per hour. Not sure if this is the norm for Q104.3 or if they sold more advertising due to the countdown. Either way, it's painful.

Not sure if this is the norm for Q104.3 or if they sold more advertising due to the countdown. Either way, it's painful.

Jacko: What time of day were you listening? I doubt very much they ran 20 minutes an hour every hour.

You MAY have heard 20 spots, but not 20 minutes.

Jacko: What time of day were you listening? I doubt very much they ran 20 minutes an hour every hour.

You MAY have heard 20 spots, but not 20 minutes.
Oh, no, it was 20 minutes. Saturday afternoon, I want to say either the 4 or 5 o'clock hour (family was in the car driving back to Boston), and I kid you not -- break started at :12, ended at :22. Next break started at :42, ended at :51. 19 minutes. Same hour. My wife asked "Do we still have to listen to these commercials?" Granted, a few of the spots were self-advertising iHeartRadio-related things. Those were the ones I paid attention to their lengths, but at other points during the weekend I noticed the long breaks. When a commercial break started, I'd tune away for 5 minutes, tune back to hear they were still playing commercials, tune away for another 3 minutes, then tune back right as they were kicking off the first song of the next set.

break started at :12, ended at :22. Next break started at :42, ended at :51. 19 minutes. Same hour.

Thanks for that. Two breaks an hour, and the breaks bridge the quarter hour point. Very important for PPM. You also have two 20 minute groupings of music. Back in the 1960s, a typical Top 40 station played at least one :60 in between every song. As you said, some are station promos, not all are paid. I wonder if the actual paid spots an hour exceeds 14 minutes. I also wonder if the 10 minute breaks also happen in lower rated dayparts, such as evenings or overnights.

Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Phoenix all have so many rock stations. And the biggest market of them all just got a traditional classic rocker

For me, the Q is the alternative commercial classic rock station with the big playlist. My local Hudson Valley station (The Tomb of Rock & Roll) has a much more Poughkeepsie oriented selection of songs.
You mean the home of rock and roll WPDH on 101.5 the tomb would mean it was dead.

Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Phoenix all have so many rock stations. And the biggest market of them all just got a traditional classic rock
Q is the greatest classic rock station with the greatest on air personalities. But you're right. An active/mainstream rock station is missing

Mainstream/active rock is available in suburban areas. Northern NJ has WDHA 105.5. Western Long Island has WWSK 94.3 (The Shark).
WFOX 95.9 in Fairfield County CT plays more recent songs than the average classic rock station, so it's another choice as well.

Very True. But the Peak is Great when you it comes in clear. I usually hear something I havenā€™t heard or thought of in years
I've heard The Peak being played in businesses in Nutley/Bloomfield over the years. Possibly with antenna adjustment. It's a shame of the interference because in the right spot, it comes in way better than WDHA

I live in the Boston area but visit North-Central Jersey during Thanksgiving to visit the in-laws. I do enjoy the Q104.3 Top 1043 countdown but can't stand the super-long commercial breaks. Years ago, they'd keep it to about 10 minutes of spots per hour, but when I was listening this year they were pushing close to 20 minutes of spots per hour. Not sure if this is the norm for Q104.3 or if they sold more advertising due to the countdown. Either way, it's painful.
iHeartMedia owns the classic rock station here in Anchorage, KBFX - 100.5 The Fox. And itā€™s just as bad.

Last year when I used to listen to the radio at work, I decided to switch things up and throw the station on for a bit. And damn near immediately put it back on the Alternative station here, KZND (94/7 Alternative Anchorage). KBFX was, and still is, pushing the same thing - 14-17-20 minutes of commercials. I cannot abide that, and Iā€™ve looked at the playlist of other iHeartMedia stations, and Iā€™ve mostly seen it across the board. I donā€™t know how the insane amount of spots doesnā€™t just kill their TSL left and right.

Back
Top Bottom