• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Q102 playing Latin hits

Today I was in Philly and making some zapping I landed in Q102 playing the song "Despacito", while I know it's one of the most online streamed songs in the US I was surprised a big mainstream station was playing it.
If you ask me, good move from the M.D.

Today I was in Philly and making some zapping I landed in Q102 playing the song "Despacito", while I know it's one of the most online streamed songs in the US I was surprised a big mainstream station was playing it.
If you ask me, good move from the M.D.

The song has gone mainstream, irrespective of the artists.

It is #9 in spins on mainstream Top 40 this week, and #8 on Rhythmic Top 40.

Last edited:
I read that it became a mainstream hits when Justin Bieber added his verse. Just like Macarena, remixing it for an american vibe is always a good bet to get more airplay.

I read that it became a mainstream hits when Justin Bieber added his verse. Just like Macarena, remixing it for an american vibe is always a good bet to get more airplay.

The song is "American" as both Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee are born US citizens!

I must be missing something here. Long before I was born until yesterday hit songs were hit songs. They weren't "latin" or whatever. The issue cannot be that some of the song is in Spanish, I mean "la bomba" is 100% in Spanish and that was a #1 hit more than 50 years ago. So I don't see how a radio station branded as "#1 hit music station" is doing something off the wall or left field by playing the hits. This song is #1 most downloaded in this country and #1 in the UK.

And we must not forget that number one hit in 1962, all in Japanese, Sukiyaki, that was only played on top 40 or MOR stations, WIBG, WIP, WPEN and WKDN and was ignored by the soul stations, DAS and HAT. Damn that song still sounds good to this day.

And we must not forget that number one hit in 1962, all in Japanese, Sukiyaki, that was only played on top 40 or MOR stations, WIBG, WIP, WPEN and WKDN and was ignored by the soul stations, DAS and HAT. Damn that song still sounds good to this day.

Despite the embarrassing, borderline-racist title Capitol Records slapped on the song, which had nothing to do with the Japanese beef dish.

And there were non-English monster hits by Dominico Modugno, The Singing Nun and (not quite as monster) by Mocedades. Then there is Suavecito and Oye Como Va and even Feliz Navidad. "La Bamba" was actually a remake of a century old traditional Mexican song.

The song is "American" as both Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee are born US citizens!

That's news to me, as I thought they were Caribbean artists, plus, you can have a foreign lyric hits while still being a naturalized citizen, Isn't J-LO American, but pushes her Hispanic roots? And i'm not counting the reggaeton hip-hop artists that represent their heritage.

I didn't know about the original. I grew up on the version by "A Taste Of Honey". Now I need to research how well their version did as a comparison.

That's news to me, as I thought they were Caribbean artists

They were born in the USA.

, plus, you can have a foreign lyric hits while still being a naturalized citizen,

Of course you can. Language is independent of nationality.

Isn't J-LO American, but pushes her Hispanic roots?

She's Newyorican. She does not "push" her Hispanic heritage... she is simply being part of it.

And i'm not counting the reggaeton hip-hop artists that represent their heritage.

There is no such thing as "reggaeton hip-hop". Reggaeton is not hip-hop. It's a derivative of a Jamaican riddim and Afro-Antillean styles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom