• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Q-105

badjef said:
MsMusicRadio said:
You all can pick ove Q105 all you want, but I think it is best in the area for my tastes in music and delivery
...and that's all that matters.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

They really took a hit in the PPM's. any thoughts?

MsMusicRadio said:
badjef said:
MsMusicRadio said:
You all can pick ove Q105 all you want, but I think it is best in the area for my tastes in music and delivery
...and that's all that matters.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

They really took a hit in the PPM's. any thoughts?
The PPMs have been shown to be flaky partially because the audience has flaky habits. There have been California stations showing up in New York and for there to be enough sampling to be more accurate, might not be cost effective. But that might have been accurate for that sample. Is the California station going to benefit in increased sales because it showed up in a New York ratings? NO! But that is why you have ratings, right? At least that is what we have been told. That won't even help on a National buy. A Safeway ad will not help in New York anymore than a P.C. Richards is going to benefit in a California ratings book.

The diary system was no better. I don't remember what I had to eat last night. Call outs, as we did for Birch, dittos.

The "science" of sampling will lead to flaws because there is no perfect system.

Remember, you can do everything right in life and still lose.

Q-105 doesn't have to change a thing and the ratings can swing back the other way the next month.

Just as you do, if I like what I hear, the dial is set, if I don't, it's gone.

But, sometimes I just want a change, there was nothing that the station did wrong.

Since I'm 56, it is not very likely I'm going to be taken seriously anymore, anyway. Ratings stop at 54.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I'm older than you----------but I still buy stuff all the time

MsMusicRadio said:
I'm older than you----------but I still buy stuff all the time
Yes, but like me, you are not going to be as willing to "part with the buck" as easy as we used to. We don't fall for the "latest and greatest" as easy as we did when we were younger.

We are more set in our ways. We know what we want and it isn't everything.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

But do stations owners want to reach somebody who buys a new BMW every 4 years or a 1995 Civic every 2 years?

MsMusicRadio said:
But do stations owners want to reach somebody who buys a new BMW every 4 years or a 1995 Civic every 2 years?
Car Companies want anybody with credit or cash, in that order. Car Companies make more money using credit.

Radio Stations want Car Companies because the check made to the radio station is porportionally smaller per sales than a Dollar General.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Really? The last post on this thread was 7 years ago?

Well, I was in town visiting family this past week for your rain festival (I should talk!) and I found Q105 somewhat boring. Not that it was bad radio, because it wasn't. But they are so "safe" with the playlist that it isn't even interesting. Perhaps because I have worked in the industry I get tired of the same safe titles, but please mix it up a bit...add some personality...even as someone mentioned above, reverb! (just to bring back some memories of what radio sounded like in the 70's and 80's). Play some forgotten hits and don't worry about it! Safe radio is boring, though from my managerial/programming experience, I understand why they do it. Too bad from a listener standpoint.

Safe radio is boring, though from my managerial/programming experience, I understand why they do it. Too bad from a listener standpoint.

WRBQ is the #2 most popular station in Tampa, right behind WDUV. Safe radio works. The numbers do not lie.

Forgotten hits? Why do you think they're forgotten?

You want an interesting playlist? Make your own. Lots of ways to do it.

WRBQ is the #2 most popular station in Tampa, right behind WDUV. Safe radio works. The numbers do not lie.

Forgotten hits? Why do you think they're forgotten?

You want an interesting playlist? Make your own. Lots of ways to do it.

Yes I said "safe radio works" in so many words. As a listener I don't care for it, but then again, I may not be a typical listener being exposed to so much "safe" music in my career. So your point is well-taken.

I stream Q105 a lot at work, and I don't know that I'd say its playlist is necessarily safe. I've noticed it seems to be going a lot more into the 90's than a lot of classic hits stations. This morning, I changed the station when it played Ace of Base. Ace of Base, Paula Abdul, and Alanis Morissette are instant tune outs for me, and I rarely hear Ace of Base and Alanis on most classic hits stations.

Two of my other backup stations for at work classic hits listening, KCMO-FM out of Kansas City and KQQL out of Minneapolis/St. Paul, sound a lot like rock 40 stations in the 80's and very early 90's. The presentation is usually lower energy, and they rarely touch the dance pop Q105 is willing to play.

While they are phasing out the waaaaay overexposed Charlie as voiceover guy and importing the voice from 105.9..and I'm sure other CBS oldies stations, the music playlist remains waaaay too tight. They continue to hack up songs and we're now starting to get tons more Mason Dixon references all...day...long..

Coming back from Orlando early Sunday morn, I had my choice between the stiff jock on q 105, or 1059's AT40 classic rebroadcast of The Greatest Disco Hits of All Time (all time being about 1975-80)..

I wasn't a disco guy, but Casey's polished and natural delivery knocked the Q off my dial. I also learned a few things from that show, where as on 105, I got the umpteenth replay that week of "Sweet Home Alabama"...

Q105 is horribly predictable and too much repetition. I liked them better last year.

I stream Q105 a lot at work, and I don't know that I'd say its playlist is necessarily safe. I've noticed it seems to be going a lot more into the 90's than a lot of classic hits stations. This morning, I changed the station when it played Ace of Base. Ace of Base, Paula Abdul, and Alanis Morissette are instant tune outs for me, and I rarely hear Ace of Base and Alanis on most classic hits stations.

Two of my other backup stations for at work classic hits listening, KCMO-FM out of Kansas City and KQQL out of Minneapolis/St. Paul, sound a lot like rock 40 stations in the 80's and very early 90's. The presentation is usually lower energy, and they rarely touch the dance pop Q105 is willing to play.

It is pretty simple...radio stations need to appeal to a 25-49 audience to get the most commercial revenue. So this audience is basically born between 1970 and 1994. But that is only half of the story. This demo didn't really listen to the radio until their teens. So the new mass listener group is made up of those who like songs from 1983 to about 2006. This explains a lot of classic hits radio stations today. (They used to be called "oldies stations", but that connotation certainly died many years ago).

Then there is the difference in music between the 80's and 90's and early 2000's. I think most of the pop songs still work with this audience, but some of the outlier styles, (hard rock and rap), can be negatives. So we end up with classic hits now being totally 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. It is simply a reflection of the time/space conundrum that comes with aging. Some may argue the 80's were better than the 90's, (I agree), but it really doesn't matter. Listeners remember by what they heard, pure and simple. Ace of Base is awful, but for a listener who was born in 1980, they probably associate them with great radio memories. Such is radio, and I can't deny any of that audio pleasure for a certain audience.

Every once in a while, I can pick up Q105 in my car here in Orlando. I enjoy their mix of classic hits just as much as Sunny-FM here, which is #1 in Orlando. I do agree that the repetition is there, but you have to listen to that station almost religiously to know about that. Sunny has great personalities, so they are the whole package.

Ace Of Base "The Sign" is one of the most requested songs during my radio show ever since I started in 2005, along with many other 90's-tastic songs not being played on Classic Hits stations. At least not yet.

I invite you to tune in to my show if you want an independent & interesting playlist, with personality. Tampa market? I'm on Power 90.1FM, Sundays 8pm-midnight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom