• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Public & Non-Commercial Radio

D

dand5780

The name of this forum. Is that an oxymoron or what? I hear commercials left and right on the local NPR station, WBFO, in between the panhandling of the hosts to raise money in addition to the government handouts they already receive.

Now they are giving out thank you gifts to help raise their 90,000 bucks in four days. I'm just waiting for mine to come, as I paid my taxes in April.

You obviously don't know what a commercial is. Please do a little research on the difference. You're just demonstrating your ignorance here.

The FCC has very clear rules about commercials on public radio. If a station runs a commercial, they get a big fine. Everything they're doing is legal. If you think they're running commercials, complain to the FCC. Your tax money also goes to the FCC.

You want a gift? Write your Congressman. I'm sure he'll take care of you.

Last edited:
It's actually quite interesting what can and cannot be said on a public radio sponsorship mention. Unlike the original poster, I don't mind hearing a 5 to 10 second blurb on an NPR station. It can only identify the donor and tell us briefly what the donor does. No "call-to-action" announcement, like "All this week, come in for our two-for-one special" or anything like that is permitted.

Considering I get the programming for free for the rest of the hour or half-hour, a few quick blurbs is not something I'll complain about. Yes, week-long pledge drives are annoying, but again, free programming the rest of the year, with no commercials, is a compromise I'll go along with. When you consider how much time your average commercial radio station devotes to spots, I'll tolerate what my NPR station does.

Yes the language is rather restrictive and you second guess yourself. Most stations go with 15 to 20 second Underwriting Acknowledgements. Count on 2 to 3 spoken words a second (a ten digit phone number is 10 spoken words).

The FCC does not like it when the Underwriting spot sounds like a commercial. For one station that stepped over the line, the FCC added the Underwriting units were fully produced, many multiple voice, thirty seconds in length and indistinguishable from a commercial. While none of that breaks the rules, the FCC clearly said non-commercial radio should sound different when it comes to running spots (and let's be real: the Underwriter buys to market their business; the Commercial buyer buys to market their business).

dand5780, I've been in radio for decades. I would not even remotely expect you to understand the vague and generalized Underwriting Rules that make, by changing a few words, a commercial a commercial instead of an Underwriting spot. I have many times said the public can't tell the difference between Underwriting and a Commercial. They can tell a screaming car dealer talking about a sale and Paul Harvey delivering a commercial. I'm sure some want to say I'm wrong, but I asked people to identify the difference. They were all commercials in their mind with the only difference being how he message was presented.

To cite an example: Merrill Lynch, Joe Blow, a local face for your investment advice. Illegal. The thinking is the statement implies other investment advice companies do not have a local representative, thus a comparative statement which is not allowed. The point is you really have to think like a lawyer, as a friend says, when composing the text of an Underwriting Announcement.

By the way, few Public Stations could stay on the air with only Listener Donations. Most stations will tell you about 1 in 10 to 15 listeners will support the station. Even the marathons to get donations do not produce the actual income pledged. Some never follow through with their check. That is why incentives are frequently offered.

Almost all public radio (CPB qualified) stations are NPR members, even those which carry little or no NPR programming. WBGO, Newark is a jazz station and does not carry "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered," the programs most people think of when they see or hear "NPR."

The NPR station where I am does not restrict spots (underwriting announcements) to ten seconds - they often run 30 seconds or more. The FCC makes two main distinction between underwriting announcements and commercials: (1) Comparisons ("best prices in town," "best pizza") and (2) Call To Action ("Visit your DeSoto-Plymouth dealer today and when you do, tell them Groucho sent you"). Some stations manage to push the envelope - to walk right up to the line without crossing it. So they will say something like "outstanding service since 1912" (no comparison to anybody else's service) or give a phone number, physical location or web address (without specifically saying to call, visit or go to). They even sometimes let the client do his own spots. On top of that, they allow clients to sponsor items in news programming related to the company's area of interest - just like infomercials or those advertising sections of the newspaper that look just like news sections.

Clearly, the station hired lawyers who coached them in lawyerly evasions worthy of Bill Clinton.

Most public radio stations get most of their money from corporate sponsorships. They really don't need pledges and tax dollars from CPB. Plus they don't pay taxes, they receive them.

It wouldn't bother me if the meaningless legal distinctions between underwriting announcements and commercials were elimination. I'd much rather listen to a reasonably short stop-set than public radio's lengthy begathons. And public radio really doesn't need government money and the plug should be pulled on that.

It wouldn't bother me if the meaningless legal distinctions between underwriting announcements and commercials were elimination. I'd much rather listen to a reasonably short stop-set than public radio's lengthy begathons. And public radio really doesn't need government money and the plug should be pulled on that.

Government money isn't based on need. That was eliminated in the 90s. Government money is granted based on other factors. Obviously these stations qualify, because the money continues to be approved.

As for eliminating rules regarding sponsorships, it may be OK for you, but that would create unfair competition with commercial stations. It would also violate other existing laws. So I don't expect that to change.

I sure wouldn't mind if the Underwriting Guidelines were altered or eliminated. As TheBigA points out, it is not likely to happen. As rules stand, as directed by the FCC's boss, commercial frequencies are auctioned to the highest bidder. While a distinction can be made between non-profit and for profit, bit entities can play the auction game should the non-profit choose to do so.

Naturally any changes, if any, would be carefully crafted to coordinate that can of worms without raising too much ire from the commercial broadcasters. Quite frankly, it would be a long tedious journey if it was to happen. Early proponents of Low Power FM (LPFM) were seeking 1,000 watt commercial stations specifically to allow first time and minority broadcasters a more affordable route in to radio station ownership. LPFM is non-profit owned, non-commercial, only 1 to a customer, limited to coverage as calculated at 30 meters HAAT at 100 watts ERP. That is a far cry from the original plan and it did not happen overnight. Lies were told, teeth gnashed, mud was slung and the survivors of both sides that made it out of the room alive, tired and weary from the fight celebrated the victory proclaiming both sides won.

There's a long history of things people said couldn't happen actually happening.

The fine points that distinguish underwriting announcements from commercials are set by regs, not laws. And the current restriction on underwriting announcements are almost identical to one-time restrictions on commercials (since loosened by changes in regs).

Commercial broadcasters would complain if public radio operated with them on a level playing field? Boo-hoo? Maybe they should fear competition. In formats in which commercial and public broadcasters compete directly, public stations mostly kick butt. News/talk. Alternative. And commercial broadcasters ran away from classical and jazz long ago. Funny how quickly those who extol the free market and freedom from regulation cry like babies and want protection from competition and market forces.

There's a long history of things people said couldn't happen actually happening.

We're talking about broadcasting. We're talking about the FCC and Congress. I'm pretty confident in what I say.

The FCC likes the non-commercial regulations, and likes to catch stations running commercials, because they can impose fines. So they're not going to eliminate them.

But look, anything's possible. It's just very improbable. So learn to live with the reality.

Commercial broadcasters would complain if public radio operated with them on a level playing field? Boo-hoo? Maybe they should fear competition.

Read what I wrote. I said "unfair competition." There are laws that prevent unfair competition. Broadcasters have no problem with fair competition. They live with it every day. But many non commercial radio stations are owned by colleges and churches. Those stations operate on a different playing field. Simply changing PART of the law is unfair. Understand?

Last edited:
The playing field is different. The reason commercial broadcasters are so protective are regulations itself. Commercial frequencies are auctioned to the highest bidder. In non-commercial radio you apply and fight off competitors until you are the last applicant standing.

A commercial frequency can easily run you six figures to win the auction, then you start at square one, just like the non-commercial FM. You might shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars then half a million more buying land and building a facility that is a commercial FM. The non-commercial FM pays to build plus any actual expenses of any candidate that applied against you. The result is a commercial station might cost double the investment of a non-commercial station.

The up front dollars make commercial radio operators very protective of their position because they need every dime they can get. The non-commercial FM needs every dime they can get too but up front dollars are less.

Stations that are commercial pay an annual fee to the FCC based on the market. It is sort of like the FCC is charging property taxes. Speaking of that, non-profits are typically 501c3 organizations so, that gives them an added advantage on taxes.

With that said, I can tell you lots of radio stations on the commercial and non-commercial side, especially away from the biggest markets, are not very good at getting across the value of the commercial or underwriting. Trust me, that you play ten in a row every hour or have more winners than your competitor leaves the business owner scratching their heads and asking how that makes them money. Sure that is important but not to the business owner. Public radio touting the Halo Effect, that people will love you because you support their station, is a nice feature, but really pretty lame compared to the concerns of increasing customer count, increasing ticket price, etc. The Halo Effect is like adding sprinkles to your ice cream sundae. Granted, you want sprinkles but let's talk about the ice cream and toppings.

To many commercial stations walk out packages and reps with zero training to handle the marketing for businesses. You must know the business, their goals and how they currently do things. If you do that and only sell what you believe will produce the results they want and help them toward their goals, you'll make a trusted business friend they value too much to cancel. If your media kit is not written for the business owner, you lose.

Another thing non-commercial radio does is educate the client on Underwriting Rules. There are ways to resolve this without making the sale difficult. We barely understand Underwriting and the average business owner thinks it is something the insurance company does. That's like needing a timing belt on your car and the mechanic insists on showing and explaining how the belt is replaced. Telling a client what they can and cannot say is a great way to convince them to spend their marketing dollars elsewhere. You say this is what we do and how we phrase things because our listeners respond to this. Anything else you want said goes on our website.

And don't get me started on calling it a donation. A donation means you hand over money for someone else's benefit. Marketing dollars are an investment that provides a return to the investor, the client.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom