• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phillies To Start Cable Network?

I hope they do. I can't believe that the Phillies don't put pressure on Comcast to have CSN-Philly on DirecTV and Dish Network. Isn't it in the best interest of the Phillies to be seen on all of the video providers here in the Philly metro area? And it keeps the Phillies feed off of the MLB Extra Innings package a majority of the time for out of market viewers.

Will this hurt CSN, if they lose the Phillies? I think it will. I think that Comcast will renew its deal with the Phillies, but I'm sure that one of the conditions of the new deal is that both CSN and TCN be made available to satellite customers and various media outlets like ESPN, Extra innings, etc.

Another factor is that will comcast and other systems will carry the new channel, if one is created?

Is there any movement on CSN being put on DirecTv and Dish? After the loophole was reversed (and I thought Comcast wasn't going to appeal) they were to negotiate carraiage fees.

I would assume it's a given Comcast carries the new Phillies network, Julius. Whether it'll be part of their basic tier is anyone's guess, however.

What if the Phillies go with a company like Verizon and have a VZ sports network or even with DirecTV and there could be a Root Network here in Philly.

Root may be in Pittsburgh, but it's more of a midwestern name, to me.

Comcast should get a new deal to keep the Phillies on CSN/TCN. The channels would not mean a thing if they lose the Phillies to a new channel to compete with CSN.

Julius May said:
Comcast should get a new deal to keep the Phillies on CSN/TCN. The channels would not mean a thing if they lose the Phillies to a new channel to compete with CSN.
But then satellite customers in the Philly area would be able to see the Phillies. CSN-Philly and TCN-Philly are not on DirecTv or Dish Network. FiOS added TCN-Philly (SD feed only) just under 2 years ago. CSN-Philly would still have the Sixers & Flyers. CSN Mid-Atlantic is surviving with just hockey and basketball. They lost the Os and never had the Nats. They're both on MASN now.
I hope Comcast does lose the Phillies. I'd like to see, Root Sports Philly, co-owned by DirecTv and the Phillies or VZ Sportsnet Philly, co-owned by Verizon and the Phillies. Maybe either of those companies could find a loophole to keep the Phillies off of Xfinity!

Bill_W said:
But then satellite customers in the Philly area would be able to see the Phillies.  CSN-Philly and TCN-Philly are not on DirecTv or Dish Network.  FiOS added TCN-Philly (SD feed only) just under 2 years ago.  CSN-Philly would still have the Sixers & Flyers.  CSN Mid-Atlantic is surviving with just hockey and basketball.  They lost the Os and never had the Nats.  They're both on MASN now.
I hope Comcast does lose the Phillies.  I'd like to see, Root Sports Philly, co-owned by DirecTv and the Phillies or VZ Sportsnet Philly, co-owned by Verizon and the Phillies.  Maybe either of those companies could find a loophole to keep the Phillies off of Xfinity!
I understand, but I don't want comcast to lose the Phillies. For the past 15 years, I have been able to watch a lot of Phillies games, thanks to CSN and TCN. It would be a shame if comcast loses them and we won't be able to watch them anymore because it maybe blacked-out on comcast systems across the area, if this new channel comes on. Comcast will keep the Phillies on their channels. They are a big company. They can't be losing things like this. Its too important for the channel and plus it fills the programming during the spring and summer months and plus the Phillies own part of that CSN.

Julius May said:
Bill_W said:
But then satellite customers in the Philly area would be able to see the Phillies. CSN-Philly and TCN-Philly are not on DirecTv or Dish Network. FiOS added TCN-Philly (SD feed only) just under 2 years ago. CSN-Philly would still have the Sixers & Flyers. CSN Mid-Atlantic is surviving with just hockey and basketball. They lost the Os and never had the Nats. They're both on MASN now.
I hope Comcast does lose the Phillies. I'd like to see, Root Sports Philly, co-owned by DirecTv and the Phillies or VZ Sportsnet Philly, co-owned by Verizon and the Phillies. Maybe either of those companies could find a loophole to keep the Phillies off of Xfinity!
I understand, but I don't want comcast to lose the Phillies. For the past 15 years, I have been able to watch a lot of Phillies games, thanks to CSN and TCN. It would be a shame if comcast loses them and we won't be able to watch them anymore because it maybe blacked-out on comcast systems across the area, if this new channel comes on. Comcast will keep the Phillies on their channels. They are a big company. They can't be losing things like this. Its too important for the channel and plus it fills the programming during the spring and summer months and plus the Phillies own part of that CSN.
If the Phillies were to leave CSN/TCN Philly, the chance that Comcast would not carry the new channel would be slim to none.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom