• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Peanuts Holiday Specials to Air on PBS in Deal With Apple

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...day-specials-to-air-on-pbs-in-deal-with-apple

The long run of A Charlie Brown Christmas on over-the-air TV will continue, at least for this year.

Apple — which earlier this year snapped up the rights to the classic holiday special, along with other parts of the Peanuts catalog — has cut a deal with PBS under which A Charlie Brown Christmas and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving will air on the public broadcaster. The deal ensures that viewers without access to Apple's TV+ streaming platform can still see the two specials.

The Thanksgiving special will air Nov. 22 on PBS stations, while A Charlie Brown Christmas is set for Dec. 13. Apple will also stream the two shows free for nonsubscribers for a short time — Nov. 27 for Thanksgiving and Dec. 11-13 for Christmas.

PBS Affiliates will air the Peanuts special on November 22nd.

Charlie Brown on PBS is so 2020...and I guess Apple provides funding for the program?

At least this will satisfy viewers who do not subscribe to Apple's TV+. The other alternative is to buy the Peanuts DVDs.

christmas on vhs

I never cared for the Thanksgiving special. It annoys me that the other characters took so much advantage of him, and then yelled at him for not serving him a full turkey dinner.
I guess I am the only one on the planet who bought A Charlie Brown Christmas on VHS decades ago, and still has a VHS player. I understand the DVDs are sold out? Maybe I should sell the VHS tape!

One good thing about the Peanuts animated specials running on streaming services is that we would see the original, unedited versions of many of the shows for the first time in decades. Some of the specials that have run on ABC have been heavily chopped. I think the Thanksgiving special has had around four minutes removed, yet still filled a 31 minute slot. Shows you how much commercial load has increased over the years.

The future of the Peanuts gang is very much anyone's guess. The last new animated broadcast special was in 2006 (I am ignoring the "retro" 2011 "Happiness is a Warm Blanket" which was originally a direct-to-video release) and more recent output has been rather obscure streaming material or short interstitial features.

I have had a feeling that the entire Peanuts franchise might wind up as part of the Disney empire, should the current Universal Uclick/Andrews McMeel ownership, as well as the Schulz family, decide to cash in. The five Schulz children (all from his first marriage) are between age 62 and 70, and his widow (second wife) is in her early 80's. Disney would certainly greatly increase the future profile and output of Peanuts, but could also turn it into something longtime fans barely recognize.

Disney would certainly greatly increase the future profile and output of Peanuts, but could also turn it into something longtime fans barely recognize.

If Apple is buying the classic shows, I'd imagine they'd want first dibs on any new creations. Sure Disney has animation studios, but these days, that kind of thing can be outsourced anywhere.

I never cared for the Thanksgiving special. It annoys me that the other characters took so much advantage of him, and then yelled at him for not serving him a full turkey dinner.
I guess I am the only one on the planet who bought A Charlie Brown Christmas on VHS decades ago, and still has a VHS player. I understand the DVDs are sold out? Maybe I should sell the VHS tape!

Last week I was in Walmart and the DVDs were sold out. Yesterday I was in a different Walmart and they had a special edition with a cover that looked like a Christmas ornament with just A Charlie Brown Christmas or the complete Holiday set. But then on Ebay the prices are beginning to be jacked up

If Apple is buying the classic shows, I'd imagine they'd want first dibs on any new creations. Sure Disney has animation studios, but these days, that kind of thing can be outsourced anywhere.

Does Disney also own the comic strip or just the animation?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom