• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pair Of Mobile AMs To Cease Operations

WMOB 1360 would be the two towers just south of I-10 on either an island or isthmus as you're crossing Mobile Bay. I've always wondered how those towers have managed to stay up so long given their location and how prone to hurricanes that area is!

If they're put on the market, the AMs should have a little value as both of them have CPs for FM translators

The repair and coveage of WTOF alone with not offset the cost of returning it to broadcast. WMOB has towers in need of repair.

I'll ask again. What are the issues at the WTOF site? Not trying to start trouble, I would actually like to know.
Usually site issues today have to do with lease expiration or sale of the property for development.

WTOF's silent STA simply says "Due to financial conditions as a result of COVID-19, the station has been temporarily taken silent."

Usually site issues today have to do with lease expiration or sale of the property for development.
I am well aware of all that. I own several tower sites myself. Groove1670 eluded to technical issues. I would like to know what those issues are. While I have spent a lot of time in Mobile, I have not been there recently.

WTOF is a 10 kW daytimer with no associated FM translator. That's a big hurdle to overcome, regardless of how well (or poorly) the site and equipment have been maintained. Even with a solid state transmitter (best I can determine, they installed a Harris DX-10 in 1999), the power bill alone would be a major expense.

WTOF is a 10 kW daytimer with no associated FM translator. That's a big hurdle to overcome, regardless of how well (or poorly) the site and equipment have been maintained. Even with a solid state transmitter (best I can determine, they installed a Harris DX-10 in 1999), the power bill alone would be a major expense.
We owned a daytime AM for many years that had a 4:30PM sign off in December. Far from ideal, but we managed. I am still wondering what "repairs" may exist at WTOF. As I recall, the ground conductivity down there isn't that great, as with most areas in the deep south.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom