• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oops...

RockManAC

Inactive
Inactive User
CNN got hit by a computer worm..

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/16/computer.worm/index.html>http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/16/computer.worm/index.html</a>

I laugh at one part, though...

Around 5 p.m. problems began at CNN facilities in New York and Atlanta before being cleared up about 90 minutes later.

It was much worse than they make it sound... CNN had NO ACCESS to their video servers (or so the wire reports said) and HLN was 1) running a tape and 2) running with no ticker. Also Newssource Ch. 2's computer got infected.. For a good half-hour they were sending down a Windows 2000 logon prompt with an error message. (Unfortuanely I was busy and didn't get a cap of it)

-A<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> CNN got hit by a computer worm..
>
http://w> ww.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/16/computer.worm/index.html
>
>
> I laugh at one part, though...
>
> Around 5 p.m. problems began at CNN facilities in New York
> and Atlanta before being cleared up about 90 minutes later.
>
> It was much worse than they make it sound... CNN had NO
> ACCESS to their video servers (or so the wire reports said)
> and HLN was 1) running a tape and 2) running with no ticker.
> Also Newssource Ch. 2's computer got infected.. For a good
> half-hour they were sending down a Windows 2000 logon prompt
> with an error message. (Unfortuanely I was busy and didn't
> get a cap of it)
>
> -A
>

Perhaps when legitimate companies and government agencies stop going to HackFest and hire hackers to 6-digit salaries to beef up their proprietary firewalls, malicious hackers will no longer feel the need to release viruses as a means to increase their reputation and future pay. Hacking/virusing is still one of the few crimes that does seem to pay in the long run; for every person put in jail, there are a dozen hired by the top firms in the IT business.

made me LOL

It was HILARIOUS watching Wolf Blitzer wig out on-air, bringing all these computer hacks in for the BREAKING NEWS while the other networks were covering real 'news'.

They must've felt pretty silly when they read Microsoft's official release, characterizing the whole thing as a "low-level risk to mostly Windows 2000 users".

DUH!

>
> It was much worse than they make it sound... CNN had NO
> ACCESS to their video servers (or so the wire reports said)
> and HLN was 1) running a tape and 2) running with no ticker.
> Also Newssource Ch. 2's computer got infected.. For a good
> half-hour they were sending down a Windows 2000 logon prompt
> with an error message. (Unfortuanely I was busy and didn't
> get a cap of it)
>
> -A
>

> Perhaps when legitimate companies and government agencies
> stop going to HackFest and hire hackers to 6-digit salaries
> to beef up their proprietary firewalls, malicious hackers
> will no longer feel the need to release viruses as a means
> to increase their reputation and future pay.
> Hacking/virusing is still one of the few crimes that does
> seem to pay in the long run; for every person put in jail,
> there are a dozen hired by the top firms in the IT business.

I bet the IT guys at CNN specifically chose to stick with Windows 2000 because it has fewer bugs and security holes than XP. However, no product is infallible. At my previous job, I went through quite a bit of trouble to purchase new PCs with 2000 installed instead of XP. My choice was validated when the MS Blaster virus/worm struck and while the few XP machines in the office were rendered useless to the point that I had to physically disconnect them from the network in order to disinfect them, the new 2000 machines kept on running as usual.

A few of the 2000 boxes did eventually get struck by a Blaster-like virus a few days later, but by that time I had anti-virus software installed on them so removing the virus was a piece of cake. Meanwhile, the one PC still running Windows 98 SE -- the one at my desk! -- was the most reliable of them all; I had that job for two years and it never got struck by a single virus, worm, or piece of spyware/adware, even before I installed anti-virus and anti-spy/adware protection on it.

<P ID="signature">______________
noiboc.jpg
</P>

Re: made me LOL

> It was HILARIOUS watching Wolf Blitzer wig out on-air,
> bringing all these computer hacks in for the BREAKING NEWS
> while the other networks were covering real 'news'.
>
> They must've felt pretty silly when they read Microsoft's
> official release, characterizing the whole thing as a
> "low-level risk to mostly Windows 2000 users".
>
> DUH!
>
> >
> > It was much worse than they make it sound... CNN had NO
> > ACCESS to their video servers (or so the wire reports
> said)
> > and HLN was 1) running a tape and 2) running with no
> ticker.
> > Also Newssource Ch. 2's computer got infected.. For a
> good
> > half-hour they were sending down a Windows 2000 logon
> prompt
> > with an error message. (Unfortuanely I was busy and
> didn't
> > get a cap of it)
> >
> > -A
> >
>

lol, that was VERY funny. Anyhow, it seems a group of blaster worm part two was released on Tuesday. Thank god it doesn't infect XP.

"Today's breaking news i............................................"

90 minutes later

And were back, today's breaking news is..."

Hilarious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom