• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Old School Hip-Hop As A Format

D

D1075

Both XM and Sirius have formats that play nothing but old school rap and hip hop roughly from 1979 through 1995 (that's what Sirius Backspin says). Personally, I think the old school hip hop sounds much better than the new stuff. It seems like the rappers back then were more creative and just seemed like the music was just more fun back then. However, would a format like that work on FM radio, or is it too much of a niche format. It only seems like Urbans will play an occasional old school song, or have an old school mix, but that's about it.

> Both XM and Sirius have formats that play nothing but old
> school rap and hip hop roughly from 1979 through 1995
> (that's what Sirius Backspin says). Personally, I think the
> old school hip hop sounds much better than the new stuff.
> It seems like the rappers back then were more creative and
> just seemed like the music was just more fun back then.
> However, would a format like that work on FM radio, or is it
> too much of a niche format. It only seems like Urbans will
> play an occasional old school song, or have an old school
> mix, but that's about it.
>

I think it could work. Some people like to mention KDAY 93.5 here in LA, but KDAY throws in the new stuff too and they really shouldn't do that for the most part unless it is a heritage artist that was big back in the day or a artist that sounds "classic". I think they should go from 1979 till 1996 as a core and like I said, if they do play new songs, avoid "Laffy Taffy" and other forgettable crap.<P ID="signature">______________
20 Years of POWERFUL music
Power 106 La's Party Station.

JOSH, Moderating the whole Radio-Info radio state of California and Indiana too!</P>

I remember working at KMEL (RIP Rick Chase) years ago, when Evergreen owned them...and we had the freedom to play just about anything we wanted. I can even remember Sway/Tech pushing the limits with un-edited versions of tracks, and some freestyle moments that would make the FCC have a heart attack now.

Maybe it was that type of programming then... that has made it difficult to define the "HIP-HOP" format now-adays. A lot of the "majors" won't risk putting gangsta-rap or even hard-core east coast rap over the air... for fear of shunning advertisers. I like what K-DAY has done, and I believe it'll work in that market. New York, Atlanta, Chicago, and even S.F. all have a bigger margin for error...but unless your strictly independent radio (KPOO), groups like Wu-Tang...Goodie Mob...and even Heiro won't make it out over public airwaves while the sun is up.

Satellite Radio is the future, no doubt about it. They offer more, by trying less. I predict at one point, you'll be able to just buy genre-specific radio. In other words, buy an XM with nothing but Hip-Hop on it. One channel is the Wake-Up show, another is BakaBoyz, etc.... combined with current Hip-Hop content. The demand may not be there yet, but it will.

I too am tired of hearing 50-cent every 50 seconds!

www.bayroot.com

> > Both XM and Sirius have formats that play nothing but old
> > school rap and hip hop roughly from 1979 through 1995
> > (that's what Sirius Backspin says). Personally, I think
> the
> > old school hip hop sounds much better than the new stuff.
>
> > It seems like the rappers back then were more creative and
>
> > just seemed like the music was just more fun back then.
> > However, would a format like that work on FM radio, or is
> it
> > too much of a niche format. It only seems like Urbans
> will
> > play an occasional old school song, or have an old school
> > mix, but that's about it.
> >
>
>
> I think it could work. Some people like to mention KDAY 93.5
> here in LA, but KDAY throws in the new stuff too and they
> really shouldn't do that for the most part unless it is a
> heritage artist that was big back in the day or a artist
> that sounds "classic". I think they should go from 1979 till
> 1996 as a core and like I said, if they do play new songs,
> avoid "Laffy Taffy" and other forgettable crap.
>

I would imagine Urban and Rhythmic signals will dedicate their HD channels to old school hip hop.

I can think of 3 stations I've already heard discussing this.

> > Both XM and Sirius have formats that play nothing but old
> > school rap and hip hop roughly from 1979 through 1995
> > (that's what Sirius Backspin says). Personally, I think
> the
> > old school hip hop sounds much better than the new stuff.
>
> > It seems like the rappers back then were more creative and
>
> > just seemed like the music was just more fun back then.
> > However, would a format like that work on FM radio, or is
> it
> > too much of a niche format. It only seems like Urbans
> will
> > play an occasional old school song, or have an old school
> > mix, but that's about it.
> >
>
>
> I think it could work. Some people like to mention KDAY 93.5
> here in LA, but KDAY throws in the new stuff too and they
> really shouldn't do that for the most part unless it is a
> heritage artist that was big back in the day or a artist
> that sounds "classic". I think they should go from 1979 till
> 1996 as a core and like I said, if they do play new songs,
> avoid "Laffy Taffy" and other forgettable crap.
>
I agree 100%....but it has to be programmed by an urban Gen X Programmer, and not by the suits.

One issue that must be settled about this loosely defined genreis what artists fall under "OLD SCHOOL." Many of the "HIPHOP/R&B" stations package their "old school" mixes with a healthy dose of songs that came out AFTER 1995 and before 2000. Coming from a lifelong Bronx resident, I can safely say that Jay-Z, 2Pac, and Biggie are not "old school" and should not be ever considered as such. If anything, the mentioned artists are the first to come to mind when asking which lyricists probably laid out the foundation for what it has become today, be it for better or worse.

As it is, the mislabeling of lunchtime mixes as "old school at noon" are insulting. So should an opportunity arise to make this format a reality, let's hope that comes at the heels of knowledgeable input from those who grew up at the same time of hip-hop's birth and the genre's first 20 years of existence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom