• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oakwood, TX call letter change, from KLUV to KEEI

EMF finally won this little skirmish, after the FCC had inexplicably dragged its feet on correcting its own screwup. But I also think that NTRG tried to pull a fast one; they had to have been aware of the EMF-Audacy deal for the KLUV call and branding.

Considering Witkovski's desire to rehash these old calls like KDNT, KSOC, and now KLUV, I am shocked he went with KEEI as opposed to KEEE. KEEE was a long-time set used in Nacogdoches, which is currently available for use on either band.

Considering Witkovski's desire to rehash these old calls like KDNT, KSOC, and now KLUV, I am shocked he went with KEEI as opposed to KEEE. KEEE was a long-time set used in Nacogdoches, which is currently available for use on either band.
I don’t get it. The station is silent. Apparently it’s been silent without an STA for years. Why does he want to hoard the call letters? The station has zero listeners because it’s silent

It has been on STA since July. I have personally heard it operational, but it has been a lengthy spell since then. I suppose NTRG wants these various call letters because they assume there is some value left in them. I disagree. Listeners don't relate to a station's call sign anymore, unless it is used as a prominent part of the station's image. Before this debacle, 94.5 was licensed as KDNT. Now who, pray tell, would even remember the glory days of the original KDNT at 1440 in Denton? The call hadn't even been used in the area since the mid 1990s.

Zero listeners, you say. That is true, but not simply because it is off the air. When in operation, the coverage area is about what an LPFM produces. Barely covers the blip on the radar called Oakwood. As soon as you drive out of town, it begins to fade. Folks that live in town, all 400 or so of them, won't put up with a radio station that peters out as soon as you pass the city limit sign, and everyone that lives there has to do that daily. There is basically NOTHING in Oakwood. A Chevron gas station and a line of old (and rapidly declining) brick and mortar buildings that are long empty or have a few antiques to sell to those passing through. That's pretty well why it's silent.

The sole purpose of the station is to maintain it until someone comes along and decides they can turn it into a fortune making machine simply by moving it to Palestine, or Tyler, or Jacksonville. Little do these suitors know what awaits them when they do, but it isn't uncommon. Only example I can give where this has successfully been accomplished here recently is KVUT. UT-Tyler had the desire to play radio and bring the first ever NPR to Tyler-Longview. It's worked so far. 99.7 has been a successful venture for the school up to this point, but had they not stepped up and made the purchase, 99.7 would still be doing the exact same thing as 94.5 is now, barely covering the Itty bitty town of Cuney and hardly ever on the air.

It will be interesting to see what happens KEEI 94.5. I guess they could upgrade and cover Palestine. I’d love to see the Smooth Rock format that was on 93.5 brought back. It was an entertaining Rock AC with a splash of AAA.

I don’t think they could move anywhere else without a frequency shift. I could see EMF buying it and upgrading it to fill in coverage gaps along the I-45 corridor between Houston’s K-Love and the future Dallas K-Love.

UT-Tyler had the desire to play radio and bring the first ever NPR to Tyler-Longview. It's worked so far. 99.7 has been a successful venture for the school up to this point, but had they not stepped up and made the purchase, 99.7 would still be doing the exact same thing as 94.5 is now, barely covering the Itty bitty town of Cuney and hardly ever on the air.
I recall KBAU 90.7 Big Sandy signing on in 1997 as NPR operated by Ambassador University. It lasted a couple years until after Ambassador University dissolved. KVUT is a more substantial attempt at public radio.

Back
Top Bottom