• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NYC Radio Ratings: February 2023

Anyone else still listening to WINS on AM? I flip back and forth between the two news stations all the time and it's just easier to punch two buttons next to each other instead of having to change the band every time.
My guess, based on "seen data" from other AM/FM combos in the past is that by now 75% to 80% of the listening is to the FM. Because the 1010 AM signal is deficient in some of the western and northern parts of the market, that figure may be even higher for the FM.

It's easier to have it on AM where it belongs...
Except that it "belongs" where the listeners are. Less than 10% of commercial station listening in the market is now to AM, and that is predominantly attributed to people over 55.

Comparing to the 6-month average before the simulcast began, WINS now has 50% more 25-54 AQH listening now... with the FM. It used to be 17th or 18th, and now it is 11th in the core sales demo.

Based on that data, it definitely "belongs" on FM where listeners obviously wanted it to be all along.

As I recall, hip-hop outlets Hot 97 and Power 105 were usually among the top stations 18-34. Now neither of them are on the current list of the top 6 in the demo.

As I recall, hip-hop outlets Hot 97 and Power 105 were usually among the top stations 18-34. Now neither of them are on the current list of the top 6 in the demo.
I could be wrong but i think the way ratings are tracked now has hurt those formats.

David's two theories sounds right to me. #1: So many Hip Hop songs have to be heavily edited to be playable on the air that its fans are less likely to listen to broadcast radio. #2: Fewer youthful Latino listeners are tuning in Urban and Rhythmic stations because they like Reggaeton and are finding it on Spanish-language stations even if those listeners are English-dominant.

It's not just NYC where Urban AC (WBLS) does well while Urban Contemporary stations (Power 105, Hot 97) are slipping. It's repeated in places like Philadelphia, where WDAS-FM is #1 while WUSL is #13. Or Chicago where WVAZ is #5 but WGCI-FM is #18.

I could be wrong but i think the way ratings are tracked now has hurt those formats.
The PPM requires all members of a household to use the meter, or they are disqualified. Compliance by 18-24's is higher than it used to be in the diary (although most likely those 18-24's are not the "head of household" that keeps the rest of the family in compliance.

David's two theories sounds right to me. #1: So many Hip Hop songs have to be heavily edited to be playable on the air that its fans are less likely to listen to broadcast radio. #2: Fewer youthful Latino listeners are tuning in Urban and Rhythmic stations because they like Reggaeton and are finding it on Spanish-language stations even if those listeners are English-dominant.

It's not just NYC where Urban AC (WBLS) does well while Urban Contemporary stations (Power 105, Hot 97) are slipping. It's repeated in places like Philadelphia, where WDAS-FM is #1 while WUSL is #13. Or Chicago where WVAZ is #5 but WGCI-FM is #18.
And, interestingly, almost everywhere Urban AC stations have over 90% Black cumers... even 95% in many cases. Urban tends to be spread across "other", Black and Hispanic with Hispanics in some markets (like LA) contributing more cume than Blacks!

And people said they could not wake up without Shannon on CBS FM.

In the second month of the new show we have a 25-54 of 5.9,

In Shannon's final months through December he had a 4.3, 3.9,, 33, 3.8 and a 4.1. January had a 4.4 in 25-54, and now it is a 5.9.
I wound up waking up to Joe Bartlett on WOR because unlike most every other morning show, he wasn't trying to
be funny if not wacky or risque. I liked waking up slowly, calmly.

My guess, based on "seen data" from other AM/FM combos in the past is that by now 75% to 80% of the listening is to the FM. Because the 1010 AM signal is deficient in some of the western and northern parts of the market, that figure may be even higher for the FM.
1010 is still a pushbutton on my AM, but I tend to listen to AM more when out of town then when local where FM or XM is the choice. I do like listening to WINS-FM for a few minutes at the top of the hour

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom