• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nursing homes and other senior citizen communities

Now I'm worried.

On a comic strip web site, people make comments. The comic strip on one particular day was about a senior community playing louder music and doing other stuff old people might not approve of. The man asked his mother not to protest, but she said she was going to join!

So one commenter said he/she went to a senior event and heard Sinatra and Glenn Miller. This person wanted "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog", not boring Sinatra and big bands.

Now I just recently became old enough for AARP, but this trend worries me. I want my Sinatra and boring big bands!

I might as well add this.

From 1991 to 1996 my grandmother lived in a nursing home. In the hallways they had a "Lite" radio station playing. For the first couple of years that meant The Carpenters and Barry Manilow, who were thrown out by that particular station except maybe for Delilah in '93.

I haven't been back to that nursing home lately, but that station was playing Pat Benatar and Bon Jovi during its final years and now has Vanilla Ice followed by Ozzy.

Just hope you always stay healthy. The atmosphere of hospitals and nursing homes is rank. TV's blaring Jerry Springer and guttering sleaze 24 hours a day. Obscene language on cable and broadcasting day and night. It's like being in a cat house. If the public saw anything decent, it would confuse then, it would seen so abnormal.

vchimpanzee said:
I want my Sinatra and boring big bands!

Sometimes things have a way of working out in the strangest of ways. My grandmother lived in a nursing home in Orange Park FL in the late '90s/early 2000s before she passed away. Thanks to my visits there, I discovered WKTZ (Jones College Radio) in Jacksonville. They had it piped in softly through the intercom system in the halls and lounge. At first I thought it was some kind of Muzak service until I heard an announcer's voice and public affairs announcements. It became one of the stations I listened to on the internet when I returned home.

People on here make fun of this kind of music only appealing to the elderly whom advertisers won't touch, but I have to tell you, you never know who's listening. I'm sure no advertiser in a million years would ever think they'd find a potential listener on a visit to a nursing home.

ronald54321 said:
TV's blaring Jerry Springer and guttering sleaze 24 hours a day. Obscene language on cable and broadcasting day and night.
Or, in the case of my grandmother, EWTN. When we visited, we used to joke that her roommate probably thought she had died and gone to heaven. ;) :)

On the subject of "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog", my Dial Global station does a "Name That Tune" each day if the station's owner is the morning DJ. I don't think the substitutes do that and if they just hand off to Jeff Rollins he certainly doesn't.

So the time came for "Name That Tune".

"Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog ..."

Then the station's phone number (if you need that it's probably too late for you) and another song. Someone got it right, and the DJ announced that would be the first song in the six-pack. That means the Name That Tune song on some days, and the rest are requests. I had arrived at my destination and after Mike Huckabee's commentary I went out and walked.

The morning show tends to be more lively than Dial Global.

There was a nursing home facility near where I used to live that had a low powered FM station of it's own. It sounded like someone set it up on a PC using Winamp and an old FM exciter, but it worked. It covered the facility, and if you were driving past it, you could pick it up briefly. Being the radio geek I am, I once parked in their visitors lot to listen. They played a steady diet of music from the 40's through the 60's, mostly standards and big bands, but the occasional soft pop song would be there too. Interspersed with the music were pre-recorded announcements about their activities, mealtime menus, visiting hours, contact info, etc. They would also air old radio shows like the Green Hornet, The Shadow, Lone Ranger, etc. Someone had some fun putting it together!

If I lived next door to a retirement/nursing home. I would probably put a Part 15 AM on just to cater to that place.

I forgot I had started this topic.

Anyway, a nursing home where several people from my church have gone has Muzak's City Lights (my first thought was that it was Environmental, but the Muzak last songs played site confirmed what I have just said).

Plus one of the dining rooms has a jukebox. I had not heard "Patricia" since the demise of Timeless Classics.

An update since I posted the above information in a whole new topic: three of the five people from my church who were there have died. And one of the two left has Alzheimer's.

I don't suppose anyone would mind if I stopped by just to hear the music ...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom