• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nueva Vida East Coast simulcast

Something strange happened recently. Nueva Vida's ID finally admitted that WNVE Culebra broadcasted at 102.1, after broadcasting on 106.5 for a long time despite officially being on 102.1 according to the FCC.

That whole frequency thing confused me... even more than the fact that WNVM has a booster in Cayey (despite its city of license being freaking next to it), an east coast simulcast and a translator in San Juan. What the hell, Nueva Vida? Couldn't you invest in an useful signal like... one that covers Ponce and Mayagüez?

Really, the Christian station that needs an East Coast simulast is 88.5 WPLI, with that impotent stick of theirs. And W279BV could simulcast WZIN or WVIS, so they can finally rightfully claim a decent signal over San Juan. Hey, you'll never make the books in PR, but you won't look like hypocrites either.

Identnut said:
That whole frequency thing confused me... even more than the fact that WNVM has a booster in Cayey (despite its city of license being freaking next to it)

Boosters are used on commercial stations to improve the signal where there is shadowing within the theoretical coverage contours. If the transmitter site for that station has some shadowing in all or parts of Cayey, a booster will fill in the deficient shadow area.

an east coast simulcast and a translator in San Juan.

The translator likely is intended to also fill shadows, without the synchronization issues of a booster. And the East Coast station likely cost very little. To cover Ponce and Mayagüez, you need a Monte del estado transmitter site, and there is really nothing available that has that desirable site within a reasonable price.

What the hell, Nueva Vida? Couldn't you invest in an useful signal like... one that covers Ponce and Mayagüez?

DavidEduardo said:
The translator likely is intended to also fill shadows, without the synchronization issues of a booster. And the East Coast station likely cost very little. To cover Ponce and Mayagüez, you need a Monte del estado transmitter site, and there is really nothing available that has that desirable site within a reasonable price.

Um, why would you need a translator in San Juan? WNVM covers San Juan really well. East Coast, I can understand, since El Yunque tends to block signals. But WNVM has a signal comparable to most San Juan commercial stations.

I'm still wondering why the station was still broadcasting at 106.5 for a long time while the FCC had it officially at 102.1. I do know that the station was WXZX and got in trouble with the FCC once. Don't remember why, something about the city of license being in Culebra and them actually broadcasting in Fajardo.

Identnut said:
Um, why would you need a translator in San Juan? WNVM covers San Juan really well. East Coast, I can understand, since El Yunque tends to block signals. But WNVM has a signal comparable to most San Juan commercial stations.

Shadowing from Marquesa is the main reason.

DavidEduardo said:
Identnut said:

Marquesa? What's that?

Identnut said:
DavidEduardo said:
Identnut said:

Marquesa? What's that?

Cerro La Marquesa. Original site for all the early SJ TV (2, 4, 6, 11) as well as WKAQ FM, WFID, WCAD, etc. Blocks or weakens all the La Santa stations, and definitely shadows much lower powered Nueva Vida.

DavidEduardo said:
Cerro La Marquesa. Original site for all the early SJ TV (2, 4, 6, 11) as well as WKAQ FM, WFID, WCAD, etc. Blocks or weakens all the La Santa stations, and definitely shadows much lower powered Nueva Vida.

You're right, David Eduardo. Compared to all the Uno, SBS, and Univsion FMs Nueva Vida is very weak...

Most big stations seem to have their signals either in the Cayey Sierra (WPRM, WMEG), between Aguas Buenas and Guaynabo (WFID, WIAC, WKAQ, WODA, WXYX) or in el Yunque Somewhere (WZNT and WIOA).

thathoustonradiogeek said:
All this talk about mountain transmitter sites makes me wish Puerto Rico had it's own version of Scott Fybush's website.

I'd do it myself if I still lived there ;)

One of these days, Scott Fybush will get to Puerto Rico and take care of that...one of these days... ;D

Scott Fybush said:
thathoustonradiogeek said:
All this talk about mountain transmitter sites makes me wish Puerto Rico had it's own version of Scott Fybush's website.

I'd do it myself if I still lived there ;)

One of these days, Scott Fybush will get to Puerto Rico and take care of that...one of these days... ;D

Be ready to stay from 2 weeks to a month if you want to cover everything.

I've heard that, for it's size, Puerto Rico is the most heavily "radio-ed" territory in the planet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom