• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NTRG Applies to Change KZMP calls

The KZMP call has been on 1540 for what, 25 years? Actually the longest of a dozen or so calls the station has had over the years.

Might KAAM have something to say about this?🤔

Perhaps KAMM will try a nostalgia format similar to what previous incarnations of KAAM had years ago.

First, they need a real transmitter site.😖

The KZMP call has been on 1540 for what, 25 years? Actually the longest of a dozen or so calls the station has had over the years.
Correct you are. Became KZMP in January 1988, according to the facility record.
You never know, however, it seems unlikely. That is, unless 1540 is restored, starts spinning Frank Sinatra and friends, and images as "K A Double M". I would think this was something required or desired to disassociate 1540 from 104.9. As of this writing, I don't know of one Dick Witkowski station that is on the air. KEBE AM & FM are both silent. KFON Groveton is silent, KTLU is silent, KDNT is silent, and this one is silent. I am not sure on the operational status of KDDM Mt. Vernon or KMAD in Madill, but both are licensed as normal; no STA active on either facility.
Perhaps KAMM will try a nostalgia format similar to what previous incarnations of KAAM had years ago.
Well, let's hope he doesn't. Much of the former listener base of the nostalgic version of KAAM would have to rise up from the grave to tune in to this version.
That's certainly a primary concern 🤣.

Correct you are. Became KZMP in January 1988, according to the facility record.
Guessing that year was a typo…🧐😉. The DFW Retroplex site has 12/29/1997 as the start date for the KZMP call on 1540.

Since it went in the air in 1949 the station has been KCUL, KBUY, KRXV, KMZK, KTIA, KUQQ, KMIA, KSVZ, KSGB, KTNO, KPAD, KZMP, and now becoming KAMM…which makes 13.

Correct... this will be the 13th set of calls for the facility. 1540 had been tied with 94.9 for the most sets of calls for any DFW area facility, but they will reclaim the lead with this change. :)
1540 became KZMP on 12/29/97... all the historic call records online have become corrupted, I don't know how or why, but any FCC Lookup on past call data has been unreliable for the past month or so.

As for the history of 1540:
1949-67: KCUL
1967-76: KBUY
1976-79: KRXV
1978-80: KMZK
1980-83: KTIA
1983-86: KUQQ
1986-88: KMIA
1988-89: KSVZ
1989-93: KSGB
1993-97: KTNO
1997: KPAD
1997-2023: KZMP

Last edited:
Correct... this will be the 13th set of calls for the facility.
1540 became KZMP on 12/29/97... all the historic call records online have become corrupted, I don't know how or why, but any FCC Lookup on past call data has been unreliable for the past month or so.
Thanks for that info, Huff. I wasn't aware the records has been corrupted. I had thought 1988 seemed early, but hey, that's what the facility's record says. January 25, 1988. Guess it's become as reliable as our dear old friend Wikipedia. Go figure.

Thanks for that info, Huff. I wasn't aware the records has been corrupted. I had thought 1988 seemed early, but hey, that's what the facility's record says. January 25, 1988. Guess it's become as reliable as our dear old friend Wikipedia. Go figure.
It's very frustrating as that had become an invaluable resource, especially for smaller stations, or those not very well-documented otherwise.

Seems like finding a transmitter site should be easy. I can't think of a single AM facility in all of DFW that is now diplexing. There must be several low profit AM's that would love to have a little extra revenue.

The call letter change came about when Z Spanish Media purchased KPAD. The format was "La Zeta" (Z in Spanish) and the MP was for Metroplex. The build of the new (now former) xmitter site in Grand Prairie also happened at about that time.

Yes, that is the STA from previous owner Estrella Media to keep the license active until it could be divested, which it was. Getting down to the nitty gritty, I don't believe it has actually returned to service, which is why I inquired about reception reports. The same Resumption of Operations was filed for another NTRG property previously (KEBE), and it didn't actually resume anything. It has been legitimately silent for nearly a year, and I believe it has actually eclipsed the mark. IIRC, 1400 left the air in mid July of last year.

I have not heard KEBE on the air since Chisholm Trail sold it and sister KTLU, at which time the K-Hits simulcast was discontinued. Again, that transpired in July 2022. I believe @Bill Betten would be able to confirm this, as his home base is in Jacksonville. My concern is the same holds true with 1540.

I have not heard KEBE on the air since Chisholm Trail sold it and sister KTLU, at which time the K-Hits simulcast was discontinued. Again, that transpired in July 2022. I believe @Bill Betten would be able to confirm this, as his home base is in Jacksonville. My concern is the same holds true with 1540.
The FCC is not going to look kindly if they are filing false reports. They are only going to get themselves into trouble.

Speaking of silent stations, I see that KZEE 1220 has notified the FCC that they have resumed operations. Had been off the air for some time; unheard in several recent trips to DFW.

Back
Top Bottom