• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Now For A Sincere Post

Hello All,

For years now, I've been sharing my thoughts about the radio business and enjoyed doing it. I know that some feathers may have been ruffled, during my stint here. If any have been ruffled, please accept my humbled and sincere apology. I didn't mean to hurt and/or harm anyone in anyway.

I did enjoy my stint, when I was announcing on AFR Selma. I miss doing that and someday I hope to do it again. Working in radio broadcasting was a wonderful experience for me. It gave me a chance to speak to the public and help Minister to someone in need.

I still plan on posting my thoughts here but I'm going to be more careful with the words I use, in the future.

Still would like to bring a "Youth Oriented" Christian based Radio station, to my hometown. I'm going to let God work that one out and let Him have His way with it. In His time and way, it'll work out if He permits it.

Thanks to everyone that has ever responded to my posts. For those that had kind words to say, thanks for them. For those that gave me some form of a correction and/or got on to me in some way, I needed that too.

Thanks for this wonderful chat room, where we can talk and learn more about radio broadcasting. I enjoy it very much.

With God's Blessings--R.D.P. <><

P.S. For those that are still rooting and Praying for my vision to work out, keep on doing it.

We all have our dreams, our visions, AND our frustrations. It seems that you today have some peace with all of the above.

Even the simplest of low cost radio stations require significant funding to establish. It is a bit more substantial than creating a new Sunday School class at church, requires more management skills than setting up an annual yard sale to fund some worthy community program. Maybe you can eventually be part of a broadcast facility that will do the kind of sound that you seek for your community.

Christianity has done an amazing job of sub-dividing itself into dozens... no, make the HUNDREDS of separate little streams of doctrine and "expression style". It may be to successfully operate a station in a market the size of Selma someone needs to be creative enough to find a way to reach more than one or two doctrines and "expression styles" in order to be financially feasible.

Think big. Think creatively. Don't get all wrapped around the axle for fear of the word "compromise".

anotherguy said:
RDP,
You definitely have my prayers that God will bless your efforts. Keep praying and seeking God's will and don't give up.

Quoting from my friend Miley - "keep the faith". It may be a climb, but the view is great from the top. I was honored to be used by the Lord for a time in radio ministry, and I'll see a lot of really great kids in heaven who will remember that an adult cared about them. Christian radio for kids can be done, it can be done without compromises with old fogie forces, and it can have an impact. I thank God for people like you who have the vision to reach them - a teenager today may live and have an impact until 2070, 2080, and beyond. People my age - gone in about 30 years. I'd prefer to go knowing and seeing those kids grow up, have good marriages, their own kids, and active in church leadership. That would be a legacy I could be proud of. Not a legacy of entertaining church folks who are already saved and dying about the same time as me.

God has obviously given you a burden for youth. Some food for thought. Starting you own station is a costly, bureucratic nightmare. What I suggested to rbrucecarter in another thread on this board was to go find a corporate underwriter (or whatever they call it in today's non-comm radio world) and then go pitch you idea for a show on your local CCM station. If you have a sponsor (for a commerical CCM station) or a corporate underwriter for a non-comm, My Guess is you'll get on the air with your show. That's a place to start. Build up a show, get a reputation. Maybe if you can get it popular enough, you could then syndicate it so it would air on numerous CCM stations around the country. That might reach more kids than having your own station, and it would probably be cheaper and easier to do.

You and rbrucecarter5 should somehow hook up and join forces. In any case I'll keep you both lifted up so that you guys hear from the Lord as to how and what he wants you to do and guides you in keeping his perfect will.

Thanks for your advice.  We don't have a local CCM station here. All we have is Moody and AFR. They tend to talk more and play less music.  Been to those two places and they turned me down.  They didn't have an interest in my idea.  I've been trying for years to get my foot into the door and so far I haven't been able to.  Went to every radio station, in my hometown and they had "Their Reasons" for turning me down. 

Mr. Bruce lives in a bigger market than I do.  It shouldn't be much a problem for him to get a Rock oriented show started.  If he's trying to get something going, I wish him all the best in his pursuit.

If we had a local CCM station here, there would be no need for me to pursue something.  Since we don't, that's why I'm doing it.  Christian radio has finally been given a chance to compete here. (Albeit Talk and Inspirational type music.)  For years it was regulated to low powered translators.  In 1995 that changed when AFR came.  Glad that we're not under the translator curse any longer. 

I still believe that a station like KSBJ and/or WAY FM would succeed, if it was given a chance to have a spot my local airwaves.  In an underformatted community like mine, this type of station would be potential goldmine. 

R.D.P. <><

P.S. The youth and young adults are hungry for a Christian radio station, of their own.  I'm wanting to step up to the plate and give them this presentation.  I hope and Pray that there's someone out there that wants to help me take care of this important need.  The youth are the future and if we avoid them now, then we'll lose them later on.  Besides if we don't reach them now, God will surely hold us to account once we stand before Him in judgement. 

B.T.W. I applaud you Mr. Bruce for wanting to Minister to the youth crowd too.  May God continue to bless your work and efforts as you do this.  Don't let anyone tear you down.  Do what you must.  The youth need people like me and you now more than ever.

Have you thought about starting online? Take a look at the article in New Media today on Radio-Info. Most young people are on the Internet and are not listening to terrestrial radio that much anyway. I believe that within a few years you'll be able to tune in almost any Internet stream not only on an iPhone but also in your car and everywhere else.

I believe the Internet is the future of radio. It's not quite user friendly yet, but it will get there.

What all would be involved in this? How much does such an endeavor cost? Would it be cheaper than doing the FM thing? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been thinking about doing a web site for my writing Ministry anyway. This may be the best time to do it and also include my own Internet CCM station.

Thanks for your advice on this too. I appreciate it very much. I may go that route, if God leads me. All I can do now is keep on Praying and seeking His will.

R.D.P. <><

R.D.P. said:
Thanks for your advice. We don't have a local CCM station here. All we have is Moody and AFR. They tend to talk more and play less music. Been to those two places and they turned me down. They didn't have an interest in my idea. I've been trying for years to get my foot into the door and so far I haven't been able to. Went to every radio station, in my hometown and they had "Their Reasons" for turning me down.

Why did I not encourage you to do the following... [email protected] ... Give him a shout and tell him "Skipper T." is sending you.... Even if it's a quality translator or now a purchased 'about dead' AM with a good 2.0 mV/m signal in the day, and a CP or and Existing Translator is available in your area, guess what? You can get a decent signal over some population! Bob has a true heart, as he has over the last 22 years that the Way format has been on the air.. And prior to that, he had the same feelings you have RIGHT NOW..... I didn't realize how numb I had become or how much that format kept me focused until we got our 'super-translator' for Way on in Evansville-Hendeson at 900 feet up on a TV tower and even at 10 watts, covers 20 mile clean, 95% of the time.... I think 'youth' (my calling) and it still hits some of us oldies who understand the message stays the same, even though the language and translation varies in time..... www.wayfm.com will help.... Well, off to run a 'mom and pop' I am LMAing to Buy in Columbia, TN.....I will listen to my old station Way-Fm Nashville a whole lot...

Thanks for the contact info Mr. Skipper. Just sent him a letter. I did get a response and it said that's he's on vacation till the 27th. I'm pretty sure he got the letter I sent him. Hope he will be able to assist me in some way and help take care of this need we have.

I'm looking forward to help bring WAY FM to my hometown, if God does indeed allow it.

R.D.P. <><

R.D.P. said:
What all would be involved in this? How much does such an endeavor cost? Would it be cheaper than doing the FM thing? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been thinking about doing a web site for my writing Ministry anyway. This may be the best time to do it and also include my own Internet CCM station.

Thanks for your advice on this too. I appreciate it very much. I may go that route, if God leads me. All I can do now is keep on Praying and seeking His will.

R.D.P. <><

I run a Christian Internet station, and for what it is worth, it has been a blast since I got out of Terrestrial Radio, and keeps my hand in the radio game.

The costs involved are a drop in the bucket compared to starting a terrestrial station. Always start small and build, but you can start a decent station for the cost of the broadcasting software, licensing, a web site and the music. Once established, the music will come to you, and there will be no need to purchase any music, unless you wish to do so. Figure about 500 dollars for broadcasting software; Station Playlist or SAM Broadcaster, licensing through Loudcity for the airplay will start about 35 dollars a month, and any imaging or music you need to purchase. That will get you started. Technically speaking, you could run a station through Winamp, and bypass the purchase of broadcasting software, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your station will sound so much better with SAM or Station Playlist, and the purchase is worth the investment. Then the only cost will be the fee for your web site.

God bless you in whatever way the Lord leads.

skippertthomas said:
Why did I not encourage you to do the following... [email protected] ... Give him a shout and tell him "Skipper T." is sending you.... Even if it's a quality translator or now a purchased 'about dead' AM with a good 2.0 mV/m signal in the day, and a CP or and Existing Translator is available in your area, guess what? You can get a decent signal over some population! Bob has a true heart, as he has over the last 22 years that the Way format has been on the air.. And prior to that, he had the same feelings you have RIGHT NOW..... I didn't realize how numb I had become or how much that format kept me focused until we got our 'super-translator' for Way on in Evansville-Hendeson at 900 feet up on a TV tower and even at 10 watts, covers 20 mile clean, 95% of the time.... I think 'youth' (my calling) and it still hits some of us oldies who understand the message stays the same, even though the language and translation varies in time..... www.wayfm.com will help.... Well, off to run a 'mom and pop' I am LMAing to Buy in Columbia, TN.....I will listen to my old station Way-Fm Nashville a whole lot...

Do you think Bob would have any interest in doing something in Houston? Without even trying to start a station - just talking to youth pastors at major churches, I've already gotten verbal commitments that the churches or at least the youth ministries would be very interested in starting something up. God may be moving in this area to reach kids. I'd be happy to pass along those contacts and maybe he could turn them into checks for a new station in the area! At least a translator - a ten watter on top of one of those 2000 foot Missouri City towers would deliver quite a signal over much of the area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom