• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Not Only Has Mix 96/Tulsa Gone All-Christmas...

I also see that they are still referring to themselves as Tulsa's "New" Mix96. They were the "New" Mix96 five years or so ago when I was spending considerable time in Mannford and listened all day.

I'm not complaining though. They introduced me to the Hot A/C format and I like it.

I used to get really angry when the stations here in Oklahoma City would go all Christmas. Uncharacteristically for me, I was miffed enough to call the station and snarl at whomever was unlucky enough to answer the phone - until I got XM.

woodyrr said:
I also see that they are still referring to themselves as Tulsa's "New" Mix96. They were the "New" Mix96 five years or so ago when I was spending considerable time in Mannford and listened all day.

I'm not complaining though. They introduced me to the Hot A/C format and I like it.

I used to get really angry when the stations here in Oklahoma City would go all Christmas. Uncharacteristically for me, I was miffed enough to call the station and snarl at whomever was unlucky enough to answer the phone - until I got XM.

They've been "The New" Mix 96 for at least 13 or 14 years that I know of. A hilarious tag, since the vast majority of the music they play is NOT new. And they've never been a true Hot AC, they've always kind of rode the fence between Soft and Hot, but with the flip of KBEZ, they're definitely leaning Soft.

Kiss in OKC is the closest thing we have to a true Hot AC near Tulsa. I've noticed KYFM in Bartlesville has been playing more artists like Taio Cruz, Katy Perry, etc...so maybe THEY are the closest thing to Hot AC near Tulsa.

When Steve Hunter took over Mix in the mid-late 90's, Mix took a leap in quality.

They were definitely true Hot AC after Steve took over.

I remember hearing currents and recurrents by Britney, Lou Bega, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet, N-Sync, and others that were hot on the CHR chart in those days.

In my opinion, the best Mix ever sounded was From about 1998 to around 2000. I rarely turned the channel off of Mix. And Kevan Seal was the shiz on Mix 96. He even sounded creative and fantastic doing a liner format. I think Steve gave Kevan some room to be a little more creative than your average Cox PD does. Sounded fantastic. Kevan just WORKS in that format. He's a tremendous talent. And I think the Mix format is his forte.

I still like Mix. They do a solid job. They've got great talent on all day parts. Truth be told, KXOJ and Mix are about all I listen to when I'm in Tulsa.

I think Mix is the best-programmed mainstream AC derivative in the Tulsa area right now, anyway. Of course, I don't live there. So there may be something I'm missing.

Is Mix perfect? Is anyone?

I tell ya, though. Radio I really enjoy is what I hear KRVT doing. Stan, nice job.

G Thompson said:
When Steve Hunter took over Mix in the mid-late 90's, Mix took a leap in quality.

They were definitely true Hot AC after Steve took over.

I remember hearing currents and recurrents by Britney, Lou Bega, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet, N-Sync, and others that were hot on the CHR chart in those days.

In my opinion, the best Mix ever sounded was From about 1998 to around 2000. I rarely turned the channel.

I still like Mix. They do a solid job. They've got great talent on all day parts.

I think they're the best-programmed mainstream AC derivative in the Tulsa area right now, anyway.

Are they perfect? Is anyone?

Look, Mix is a very good station for what they are. And they have great talent. All of the Cox stations do.

Mix is simply not a true Hot AC station any more than Star is a true Classic Rock station. And herein lies the problem that I have with the Tulsa Cox stations...aside from K-95.5, the other 2 stations have watered-down playlists and do not match what they say they are. Does Mix really have the BEST mix of the 80's 90's and today? Is Star really Tulsa's only Classic Rock station? For me, the answer to both is "no".

And I predict that within 30 minutes of me posting this, Star will play a cheesy 80's song that probably shouldn't be considered "Classic Rock".

Hey, I'm no expert. And the numbers show that people are listening to Mix and Star. I just think Tulsa could be better served from their so-called Hot AC and Classic Rock stations. That's all.

ionosphere said:
woodyrr said:

They've been "The New" Mix 96 for at least 13 or 14 years that I know of. A hilarious tag, since the vast majority of the music they play is NOT new. And they've never been a true Hot AC, they've always kind of rode the fence between Soft and Hot, but with the flip of KBEZ, they're definitely leaning Soft.

Kiss in OKC is the closest thing we have to a true Hot AC near Tulsa. I've noticed KYFM in Bartlesville has been playing more artists like Taio Cruz, Katy Perry, etc...so maybe THEY are the closest thing to Hot AC near Tulsa.

Regarding KYFM -- Any station that plays Bruno Mars and Dan Fogelberg back to back certainly isn't worried about which category of music they fall into.....

As Ionosphere said, ALL of the Cox stations have TREMENDOUS talent. I think it's a shame most of them are being so under-utilized... I've wondered what that team could do if let loose to do what they have done so well in the past... the mind boggles...

Now, K95.5FM is just a fantastic station. Jocks might argue it's "liner card radio," and in some dayparts it certainly is, but you cannot argue with that mix of music... I can't tell you exactly how they're doing it, but it's just a darn enjoyable mix of music. Add in friendly personalities, a fun morning show, enough liners to let you know who they are without you feeling beaten over the head by it, and liners from listeners... no wonder they stay at the top of the ratings.

Star 103.3 is doing what is likely the only logical thing for a station that wants to stay with the money demo CAN do: moving forward. I try to remind myself that the 70s are as far away from today as the 40s were in the 80s. :eek: I'll agree their branding has always sounded a little silly to me, but I can listen past it. I'm more bugged by their gritty compression than I am by their music mix. :D

Mix 96... *sigh*. I'm SO torn about them.

On the one hand, their liners are genuinely TEDIOUS. "TheBestMixOfThe80s90s&TodayAndVotedNumberOnceAgainAsTulsa'sAtWorkStationWithAnother50Minutes..."

!!!AARGH!!! SHUT! UP! :mad:

They have sweepers that I swear to you are 30 second promos. You think you're into a stopset.

Then there's the music. A handful of 80s songs burned to a crisp, to be replaced in 3 months with another handful of 80s songs to be burned to a crisp... and while they were all huge hits, there seems to be a randomness to the 80s songs chosen to be burned. Perhaps (or obviously?) their research indicates these are the 80s songs to burn this quarter.

Next, throw in a larger handful of 90s alterna-pop... those oh-so-cool male artists who were trying so hard to be hip... and another handful of 90s pop from dance divas.

Finally, top it all off with a recurrent from K-Hits or The Edge that's "adult safe."

Tie it all up with "The New," and viola! Instant Mix 96.

On the flip-side, Mix 96 is VERY safe for the money demo. It's the station I hear mostly in businesses these days. There's nothing too much to get excited about, you've heard all these songs over and over, the content in-between songs is generally dull... but the music is FAMILIAR. They're like a favorite pair of jeans, or an old pair of sneakers... when you hear them in a business, you feel at home, safe, in a comfortable place. You know this song; you're OK.

Mix 96 won't say anything offensive, they won't play anything offensive, and for your typical 30-something, they sound reasonably contemporary. Kids will put up with it in the cars while Mom feels comfortable listening. They give away money; who doesn't like money? And they have a morning show team doing something different every day, so they could be interesting if people remembered to tune in (or forgot to tune away).

Mix 96 is kind of the path of least resistance. They're picking up listeners by not driving people away. Especially with Bob annoying many in-office listeners, Mix is the next logical choice. If you're only hearing them in snippets, you're not likely to be bothered by the repetition which also is what makes their music mix consistently familiar.

Stuck in a business tuned to Mix 96, I can tell you that if I never hear Girls Just Want To Have Fun or Into The Groove again it will be too soon. (And I'm an 80s music fan!)

I can also tell you today in the midday they played Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer... after yesterday in the midday playing Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer...

In other words, the station drives ME crazy, but I bet they've got a money-maker on their hands.

Media Mogul said:
Regarding KYFM -- Any station that plays Bruno Mars and Dan Fogelberg back to back certainly isn't worried about which category of music they fall into.....

Maybe...but they're obviously playing CHR currents, which is something they weren't doing just a few months ago. And now they have Delilah on weeknights. They know their signal covers most of Tulsa, and I think they're finally trying to cash in on it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom