• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No Savage tonite on WWBA that NEWS MONSTER

J

JerkyBoy33707

UH OH, the only reason I tune in anymore to WWBA may be gone? America's Radio News is on (same outfit) as the Americas Morning News they had on after Larsen left). The Savage show is playing right now on other stations.

I know the feeling man.... However, you do realize the immense health benefits that vitamin C can give you? How about eye problems can be resolved if you any one of Joe Schnoes eye clinics right? How about that impeccable analysis of Smerconish, I mean, I always want to know what the top 3 songs were in 1973 too. Smerconish is the slow car, in the left-hand lane of the Jersey Turnpike... Geez, whodathunk that facial rejuvination could be so affordable these days?? I began to listen to the Hugh Hewitt show, and I found out snnzzzzzzzz... Heck, even the Captain was off air today, sheesh. Here's one for the "news" stations in the Bay area: What is/was the outcome of the alleged 527 smear campaign by Buckhorn-vs-Ferlita? Which prominent Bay area attorneys were allegedly involved? B-L-C.

They are usually 2 months behind updating that online schedule

I hope savage is back tonite. I love my TUNE IN radio app on iphone, but there is nothing quite like listening live on the AM band. It's my comfort zone.

Be listening and watching for news on Monday June 13th on the Radio Genesis.com website for more information. Bigger and better things are in store for the Tampa Bay radio market and most of you will actually LIKE what you will be hearing Monday June 13th. Meanwhile AM 820 WWBA moves on as "News 820." More to come...

Right on, Captain. I tuned in earlier and no Smerconish either?

A 50KW Daytime signal in a decent position on the dial ought to do better than WWBA did as a talk station (currently down with WRXB and WHNZ), so there's no mystery as to why the talk is going away. Perhaps they could move the talk to WLVU? I STILL don't get why any advertiser would waste money on unlistened-to Spanish music (what programming genius figures that Spanish speakers don't have as many options as English speakers when it comes to music sources?)

I have casually listened to the news format on 820, and find myself staying with it for far longer than I ever did as a talk station, with the exception of the Dave Ramsey era. Therefore maybe there's a chance for it as a news station? However, real all-news seems to be a scarce breed. A check of the top 21 markets showed only a few NEWS formatted stations which I would think is nonstop news reading as opposed to NEWS/TALK which I would expect is much like WFLA: mostly syndicated talk with 4 minutes of news every 30 minutes (bulletins at once).

Where there were NEWS stations they tended to do well: KYW #1 in Philadelphia, KCBS #2 in San Francisco, WBBM #3 in Chicago, WCBS and WINS trading spots for number 4 in NYC, WWJ in the top 15 in Detroit, KNX in the top 15 in Los Angeles, as well as pulling in numbers in San Diego. The only one that seemed an also ran was KRLD in Dallas down around #24. I have been told that news is an expensive format to run, and I think most of the mentioned stations have real reporters and Networks behind them. Still WWBA DOES have ABC; if they can do something to provide local content, this might work?

So it looks like Genesis is moving most of the talk including the The Captain's AMERICA to 1470 on June 13th. It was a much better radio station back when it was WCWR (Where the stars are). Tedd Webb, Rick Robbins. Local rock.

Calling WWBA's format "news" is a misnomer, if it makes people expect something like WCBS, KYW, WINS or WTOP.

It's using "America's Radio News" from TRN, which doesn't sound anything like all news radio as people who've lived in the Northeast, Chicago or California know it. It appears that TRN developed this format in response to big advertisers blackballing opinionated talk radio, as a way of promoting conservative talking points by other means.

"America's Radio News" has no reporters, just a male-female anchor team that plays sound bites borrowed from cable news and conducts phone interviews. Interview and topic selection tilts to the right. "Analysts" from the Washington Times, the Moonie paper. Former experts from Fox News. Story count is low compared to the all-news format as most know it. ARN is more like an audio version of Fox News Channel than all-news radio.

The idea is, stations can plug in this "news" program and fool the national advertisers who want to avoid controversy, by presenting conservative talking points in a format where the hosts don't scream, are "objective" and slant is given by story selection, guest selection and framing.

Coupled with the lack of local coverage beyond the police blotter, I don't think people whose idea of news radio was shaped by WWJ or WBBM or KNX or KCBS will find much to like on 820. Nor do I think listeners to those displaced talk shows will like having to struggle through the static on 1470. Of course, anyone north of Pasco, east of Tampa, or south of the Skyway is out of luck.

Smedge is on the money. ARN is to the right what major TV networks are to the left. Will this format bring in advertising? It's sort of generic.

MichaelCrose said:
So it looks like Genesis is moving most of the talk including the The Captain's AMERICA to 1470 on June 13th. It was a much better radio station back when it was WCWR (Where the stars are). Tedd Webb, Rick Robbins. Local rock.
Amazing, the station that isnt even listed on the RadioGenesis.com website will soon become the flagship for their talk radio format on June 13th?? Fine for the daytime talkers but too bad for the evening and late night guys (how about 5:30pm Nov & Dec) bye bye unless you live in N Pinellas, Holiday, and maybe a sliver of NW Hillsborough. Lets see them tell their advertisers "ummmm yes we are going from a 50,000 watt signal on 820 to a 5,000 watt signal on 1470. And if we go ahead with the move to Egypt Lake we will be blasting your ads out on a whopping 750 watts signal! Yea! And our rates are the same........"

Right now, 1470 at night covers very little of metropolitan Hillsborough. If and when they switch to Egypt Lake, they'll give up a lot of metropolitan Pinellas. Either way, it's a poor nighttime signal.

And yes, WCWR was a great station!

>>Lets see them tell their advertisers "ummmm yes we are going from a 50,000 watt signal on 820 to a 5,000 watt signal on 1470. And if we go ahead with the move to Egypt Lake we will be blasting your ads out on a whopping 750 watts signal! Yea! And our rates are the same........"<<

One has to remember that if the Ratings page at Radio-Info is at all accurate, as a talk station WWBA had no real penetration in the Bay area market at all, so the advertisers can't have much to complain about. The talk programming had gotten pretty lame in recent months anyway, with a lot of infomercial-ly junque. And if I recall, Micheal Savage was on 930 in Sarasota anyway.

One thing I tried to look at was how WINK was doing as an all news station, but the Arbitron page for Fort Myers doesn't show anything more recent than Fall of 2009, well before their switch. WFTL, when they first moved to 50KW 850 was all-news, but they dropped this in favor of talk. Was the expense of doing all news their undoing, and if so, will the TRN feed attempt to deal with that expense? Does ABC radio offer an all news feed? The TRN news does have a Fox News feel to it, but then again, Fox News leads the way on cable TV.

One thing that would make me nervous (although when you're at the bottom, the only place to go is up) is the ratings experience of WPNN in Pensacola, which until about a year ago carried the audio feed of CNN. A check of the Arbitron page there shows them in the cellar - I wonder how they are doing with the talk lineup they have now? If WWBA is going to make a push for something different, they'll need to include some kind of local content, which will require $.

It would be my guess that money is changing hands in WWBA's direction so the moonies can be in the Tampa market. I understand, it is tough out there for local owners to survive in these times. They have to do what they have to do.

Michael Savage is how heard on AM 1470 WMGG weeknights 6-8P. Mancow is LIVE in the morning 6-10A, Dennis Miller LIVE 10-12, KELS Attorney - Tampa 12-1P, Michael Smerkonish LIVE 1-3P, The Captain's AMERICA is LIVE 3-6P, Michael Savage LIVE 6-8P, Artie Fletcher LIVE 8-10P, Laura Ingraham 10P-1A, Rusty Humpries 1-4A, Advice Net 4-6A every weekday...

Check out their "program schedule" - dry as a bone.
http://www.wwba820.com/pages/pages.php?page=55

Only one "show host" on their website menu, the aforementioned Artie Fletcher, who's already going to be on 1470... simulcast?

I guess they really are serious about going "all news, all the time". In fact, their new slogan is "Gotta Know Now."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom