• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No more RAGE

Make Me said:
jrprogrammer said:
corbys hair said:
RAGE #s were pretty bad from what I hear last several months. Fan has been getting good #s from Elf/Slater and Shan/RJ Choppy.

Quite true. But The Fan's number 1 ratings winner has been for long and will continue to be G-Bag Nation.

That is quite an accomplishment for him to beat the Ticket Top 10 and Stars hockey.

And all the other programs they continually beat on other stations. Not hard to beat the top 10 and stars hockey, they don't rate, much harder to beat Rangers/Mavs and Spanish music.

And please stop predicting a flip everytime changes happen at radio stations people...so uninformed.

The Fan started their dive when they let Spanier go. He had the best ratings. The station hasn't been relevant in awhile. They kept the wrong people...canning Barsky, Jagger, Jasmine, Arnie, Newy and Henson. the ratings reflect the talent. Thankfully, we have other choices to listen to!

futballfan said:
The Fan started their dive when they let Spanier go. He had the best ratings. The station hasn't been relevant in awhile. They kept the wrong people...canning Barsky, Jagger, Jasmine, Arnie, Newy and Henson. the ratings reflect the talent. Thankfully, we have other choices to listen to!

Their ratings were worse with Barsky, Jagger, Newy, and Henson. At least New School and Elf & Slater come in second.

The Fan with over 4 years in the Sports format is up against an extremely strong competitor who has close to 20 years in the format and a secondary competitor with close to 12 years in the format. Now that CBS Radio has moved into a national presence/brand with Sports, one can safely assume there is corporate commitment to the Sports format in Dallas/Fort Worth.

This corporate commitment does not mean you should expect to hear CBS Radio totally ditch The Fan local shows and just air the national feed. ESPN has tried a national feed heavy approach in Dallas without any major ratings success. It's a safe bet CBS Radio will stay live and local using their Sports Radio national feed for features, weekends and overnights. It takes time and commitment to grow a core audience for The Fan and CBS Radio knows that.

Jay, I can appreciate you towing the company line, but the Fan has the Cowboys. The masses have touched the Fan over the past 48 months if nothing more than to catch the game. The programming provided cannot hold an audience, the product is different than ESPN or 1310, and the listeners continue to send their food back to the chef. They've changed head chef's there 4 times in four years, with 2 of the 4 being Chef Gavin.

Too much damage has been done, trust lost, corny instilled for a full on comeback. Gavin worked in Houston, Gavin worked on Live 105, but Gavin had Howard Stern and a peaking Russ Martin.

All Gavin has now are the Cowboys (remember Bigby cut Rangers loose right before Rangers took off), and that gets him thru half the year. It'll be interesting how it looks next Feb.

Just waiting to see where Rush ends up in D/FW when his contract with WBAP runs out. Snagging Rush and a few of the other conservative talkers plus a Sports Central type show and still being the Cowboys flagship might work for 105.

TexasGopher said:
Just waiting to see where Rush ends up in D/FW when his contract with WBAP runs out. Snagging Rush and a few of the other conservative talkers plus a Sports Central type show and still being the Cowboys flagship might work for 105.

Run that by me one more time...Are you suggesting that Hammer is a qualified weekday opener for Rush Limbaugh on the Fan?

Uh.....No.

Run the talkers during the day then run a sports themed show in the evening. KRLD, WBAP, and KLIF all ran this format at one time or another. Worked well during the glory days at KLIF in the 90's. Just a thought.

I would think Greg Williams career is pretty much done. In Dallas at least.

I would think RW's radio career is done, too. For the most part, he rode Newy and Greggos coattails and never really brought much to the table. He should probably go back to sportswriting.

TexasGopher said:
Uh.....No.

Run the talkers during the day then run a sports themed show in the evening. KRLD, WBAP, and KLIF all ran this format at one time or another. Worked well during the glory days at KLIF in the 90's. Just a thought.

Sure, worked great back when you didn't have three 24-7 sports talkers in the market.

Triple Fake Jerry said:
TexasGopher said:
Uh.....No.

Sure, worked great back when you didn't have three 24-7 sports talkers in the market.

Are we talking about 105.3 making ratings as a sports talk station or just making ratings, period? I guess 97.1 is a ratings power house too. Just looking at two powerful sticks that might be put to better use or programmed for a broader listening base. ;D

metroneck said:
Jay, I can appreciate you towing the company line, but the Fan has the Cowboys. The masses have touched the Fan over the past 48 months if nothing more than to catch the game. The programming provided cannot hold an audience, the product is different than ESPN or 1310, and the listeners continue to send their food back to the chef. They've changed head chef's there 4 times in four years, with 2 of the 4 being Chef Gavin.

Too much damage has been done, trust lost, corny instilled for a full on comeback. Gavin worked in Houston, Gavin worked on Live 105, but Gavin had Howard Stern and a peaking Russ Martin.

All Gavin has now are the Cowboys (remember Bigby cut Rangers loose right before Rangers took off), and that gets him thru half the year. It'll be interesting how it looks next Feb.

Actually, The Fan had the Rangers for their 2010 World Series run. The Rangers went to ESPN during Gilbert's tenure, Bigby was already several months out the door. The Fan wanted to keep the Rangers....

And Spittle had success in Houston. Consistently the top sports station while he was there, and not much to offer before he got there. More sports stations in Houston as well, none as dominating as The Ticket though.

And so far he has brought exactly zero of that "magic" from Houston to Dallas.

Don't get me wrong, I stopped listening to RAGE when they became Cowboy shills, and their ratings probably dictated they needed to go, but replacing them with B&S is just mind boggling...

It's the equivalent of the Cowboys bringing back Quincy Carter, Chutch, or "insert failed bit here".

I enjoyed RAGE because I was a HL fan. But Ben and SKIN are not funny and hard to listen too. The weekend show is better than them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom